Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Tiller vs. Console

Reply New post
Message Subject: Tiller vs. Console
Slamr
Posted 1/19/2007 9:39 AM (#233124)
Subject: Tiller vs. Console

Make your case....
bn
Posted 1/19/2007 9:44 AM (#233126 - in reply to #233124)
Subject: RE: Tiller vs. Console

I like to go fast. enough said.
Top H2O
Posted 1/19/2007 9:45 AM (#233127 - in reply to #233124)

I like the Console with the full wind shield because of being out on BIG water most of the time.

I can't comment on the Tiller since I've never used one much.

JEROME
Got Esox?
Posted 1/19/2007 10:03 AM (#233134 - in reply to #233124)

Console: Does take up space in boat but offers the ability to put larger HP outboard on boat, more speed and makes rough water travel easier. Single console only, doubles take up to much room, except on 21 foot rigs.
(also: console versions are usually more expensive and isn't that why we all got into this sport of musky fishing, to dump as many of our hard earned dollars back into the economy as possible)

Mikes Extreme
Posted 1/19/2007 10:07 AM (#233136 - in reply to #233127)

I had a tiller 18ft Lund for 11 years and loved it. Lots of room and it worked for me.

Now I have a Ranger 620VS Fisherman series and that is the answer I didn't have before. Going fast and keeping dry is the best. My old Lund had a 50 on it and that worked great for my home lake and rivers. Once I got into the PMTT and started fishing larger big waters like Cass, Millie Lac's, Lake Michigan, Green Bay I realized that tiller might not be as good as I thought. A single console is ok if it's your boat, if your the partner, client, friend, etc, it sucks to ride without a wind shield.

The best tiller I have seen is the 20ft'ers if your a guide. This will give you tons of room for clients. Although, they might not like the elements on the rides to and from spots.

I have fished in tillers, single consoles, double consoles and full wind shields. I prefer the double console over the rest. Just my opinion.
TJ DeVoe
Posted 1/19/2007 10:14 AM (#233139 - in reply to #233124)

If you fish big water more than just a week in Canada, then having a console is the way to go, but if your fishing lakes mainly under 3,000acres, a tiller is definitely the way to go. Plus, I like the feeling of laying down the hammer and going fast!
crackpot
Posted 1/19/2007 10:27 AM (#233145 - in reply to #233124)

Consoles are just more fun to drive, the windshield is nice when its cold or raining out when you are running, and they are a drier ride in the waves.
The Nate
Posted 1/19/2007 10:39 AM (#233148 - in reply to #233124)

My girlfriend gets a kick out of driving the boat with the big motor instead of the kicker......................only she prefersthe at 5 mph speed instead of the 55 mph speed. And since its cold now and I can hide behind my single consol its enjoyable to haul a$$ to the other side of the lake after a long day listening to "lets try here....this isnt working....can we eat......lets go in.....etc" from my fishing partners.
Reef Hawg
Posted 1/19/2007 11:06 AM (#233152 - in reply to #233124)

I am a tiller guy and prefer it in all water including big(we typically fish Green Bay, petenwell, V, and LOTW for the most part). I fish more than I run, so I need all the room when fishing, which a console takes away from me. I love the floor space in the tiller I have now, and couldn't afford to go to a longer boat with a console, giving up space. My dad just got a big alumacraft one side console and it is ok, but I don't think I'd be able to make the switch. I also prefer the tiller for trolling as the turns are made quicker and more precise, same for dangerous rocky waters. Now, I don't like that not many tiller glass boats do not come with a decent rear deck, but they(Tuffy especially) seem to be coming along for us tiller lovers.

That said, with the new kid, I might enjoy a console boat when dragging tubes around the lake which I am sure i'll need to do. I'll borrow dads..hehe.
Pedro
Posted 1/20/2007 8:06 AM (#233305 - in reply to #233124)

Tiller, main reason the room. With 8.5 foot rods lake wood tackle boxes it gets crowded. With a 20 foot tiller I have enough room to make fishing comfortable with out stepping on or tripping over my gear. I also was annoyed that I could not put rods over 8ft in the rod lockers of the console boats. With my tiller I can put a rod up to 9'6. Sure they are slower but you get a 20 foot boat and now you can run a 150 your gonna be running in the upper 40's for speed. Sure you can have a 620 with a 225 and haul in the mid 50's to maybe 60 but what is 10 mph for all the room you get.
fishguide
Posted 1/20/2007 9:56 AM (#233316 - in reply to #233124)

each to his for whatever reason,mine is a tiller.i guide everyday on lac suel out of my prov 1800,lots of room even if i have 3 people with me,i run my trolling motor from the rear,if it gets rough and it does i can use both my 90 or the electric.i also fish more than i run,and the farther back you can sit in the boat the smoother the ride.as far as speed,with the right proping i can get 40 out of the 90,which is plenty fast enough for where i need to get to,and with fuel prices who needs the big engines.
mskyhntr
Posted 1/20/2007 8:06 PM (#233394 - in reply to #233124)

TILLER!!!! I am a tiller guy all the way here are a few reasons I think tillers are superior.
1. More room. tough to fish 3 guys with a dual console or windshield and a boat full of gear.
2. Boat Control. when it's rough you can slip with the tiller and use the trolling motor from the rear.
3.Cost Console boat tend to be more money because of console and larger engines.

Now with the power steering being offered for tillers now you can run engines up to 150-175 with tillers and probably run right along with the console guys PLUS have more room.
Tim Kelly
Posted 1/21/2007 2:10 AM (#233432 - in reply to #233124)

The only trouble with most tillers is the lack of a rear casting deck, making it less comfortable for the person fishing out of the back of the boat.
curleytail
Posted 1/24/2007 9:40 PM (#234198 - in reply to #233124)

I am a fan of tiller boats, and for the time being won't even consider console boats. Part of this is due to not having the money for a bigger boat. For me, putting a console in a 16 foot boat takes up way too much room. Speed isn't much of a concern for me. I generally fish lakes between 1,000 to 6,000 acres, and occationally a 15,000 acre lake. Cruising at about 27 MPH is enough for me. More speed would be nice at times, and so would a windshield, but the extra space wins out for me. Plus tillers give much better boat control without needing a kicker (in most cases).

curleytail
Schuler
Posted 1/24/2007 9:55 PM (#234201 - in reply to #233124)

I have both in my boat and definetly prefer the console. Its better for trolling IMO because you can take your hand off it without worrying about it moving. I like to go fast too. Unfortunately my boat doesn't go fast. Also it allow for a much larger back deck. Which is a reason I don't' like V-bottom boats.

Edited by Schuler 1/24/2007 9:56 PM
davep
Posted 2/3/2007 6:54 AM (#236052 - in reply to #233124)

Regardless of what everyone currently has, I think most people would agree that a console would be nicer when you are moving. I also think most people would agree that a tiller is better when you are fishing (too bad you cant have a console that "hides away"). I have had both. I now have a tiller since i figured i have the boat for fishing more than just moving around. On those longer runs in colder weather, i do think a console would be nice though, but that all goes away when i stop again.
Marc J
Posted 2/3/2007 10:33 AM (#236098 - in reply to #233124)

I love my tiller because of the extra room it affords - yes it does suck to have the wind in your face on big water but I love the feeling of total control right there at my fingertips and I like it for trolling and controling my boat.
KARLOUTDOORS
Posted 2/4/2007 12:46 AM (#236222 - in reply to #233124)

Has anyone ever tried that collapsable shield accessory for the passenger on single console boats while motoring. Dont know who makes it or what it's called. I recall seeing an endorsement by someone. Patricia Strutz comes to mind. I saw it twice last year and that was it. Anyone else see it or try it??
Karl

Edited by KARLOUTDOORS 2/4/2007 1:14 AM
jonnysled
Posted 2/4/2007 3:05 AM (#236228 - in reply to #233124)

i like to go fast too, but more importantly i like to be to get up and flat quickly for some of the river and channel running we do .... the center console is great for that, but it's tough standing and leaning for long days sometimes ..... the view for hazards and especially river running is second to none though. the newer 20' tillers powered with 150's are really intriguing to me and the ranger, triton and yarcraft models i've seen (haven't seen the others and sure there are some more to mention) ... are pretty impressive and show the potential to close the gap a little tighter at least for what i want in a boat.

to me ... having a tiller that can't get out of it's own way due to being underpowered isn't worth the space you get when it's just floating and fishing. whether it be tournament running or just wanting to get home sooner, it's nice to get on plane quick and go at least 45 or so .... i don't need 60+, but don't want a lot of money invested in a tugboat either.
Dre322
Posted 2/4/2007 9:21 AM (#236249 - in reply to #233124)

man...this question keeps me up at night... I dont have a boat yet but i am looking at both options. the tiller does seem more practicle (more room,control) to me IMHO. but i think ill miss a casting deck, and once i think of that, it makes me think of a console again....so confused still...but good insite guys! Thanks!
Professional Edge
Posted 2/4/2007 10:00 AM (#236257 - in reply to #233124)

I love fishing out of a tiller and would like to own one again but with kids and a wife plus being on big water, I really have no choice but to have a full windshield.

There will come a day when I have a tiller again.

Keith
Reef Hawg
Posted 2/4/2007 11:27 AM (#236284 - in reply to #233124)

Really, I need both. I plan to keep the tiller, and get a lesser expensive console for the few times I need what they afford. Fishing rivers almost daily, I require the maneaverability of a tiller, that a console just cannot afford in the tightest corners and runs. Also, until about 5 years ago, before fishing MN and GB, I never fished waters safe or big enough to need more speed(I couldn't safely go 50 on most of the rivers I fish if I chose) save for Canada. Now though, I do need a bit more speed, and really hope I can get into a tiller that affords at least 40+ when I need it, but more so a quick hole shot as js mentioned.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)