Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I have never done any good in this section" Five minutes later "Oh there is one coming right there"
- (Added by: Turkeyt)

[Frozen]
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Double Bladed Bucktails

Frozen
Message Subject: Double Bladed Bucktails
Grunt Lures
Posted 1/14/2007 9:04 AM (#232107)
Subject: Double Bladed Bucktails

Looks like everyone is jumping on this big double bladed bandwagon!!!

http://www.muskymania.com/productsBucktails.php
http://muskiemojo.com/
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-25689185806410_1927_5...
etc. etc. etc.... I am going to be late to the party. Still working on mine but I need a pool or open water to make sure it works right. But,,,,,of all the lures I have built this one is the easiest. Still, the cost to build these is fairly high. Lots of terminal tackle on these if you build them tough and right.

JMO,
James
Grunt Lures
Posted 1/14/2007 12:27 PM (#232123 - in reply to #232107)
Subject: RE: Double Bladed Bucktails

As long as this thread is going... Does anyone have specifications to what thier perfect bucktail would be (action, materials, sales price, packaging, etc.)?

My initial specs for hte ones I am building are:
* 10"-12"
* 4 oz.
* 062" Heavy Wire
* 0.040" Thick #10 Colorado Blades (*No more warpping on those thin blades!)
* Two 5/0 VMC or Mustad Extra Strong Muskie Hooks (*May go with 7/0 but not sure that is needed. I think one will get a bitter hook up with a 5/0 hook)
* Wolverine Triple Split Rings
* Skirting will be flashabou, hair, or rubber (*two sets on each bucktail)
The one I have on my website has different blades.
http://www.gruntmuskielures.com/bigmuskiebucktails.html

All this and trying to keep the finished sales price under $20. Any thoughts?

TIA,
James
MNmatt
Posted 1/14/2007 12:46 PM (#232126 - in reply to #232107)

none of those mentioned are jumping on any bandwagon, all those have been around for YEARS.

Hap
Posted 1/14/2007 2:16 PM (#232132 - in reply to #232126)

I've been making them since the mid 80's so they indeed have been around for years. But what you have been seeing lately is people just copying exsisting inline designs. There's nothing wrong with that but a good design will do that. Those people will usually go away and the original makers will carry on. A great example is the Show Girl Inlines. It was just a matter of time before other people started making them and posting them on this site like they were the newest thing and the inventors of that design. Show Girls have been around for a few years now and inlines have been around for over 100 years.
Grunt Lures
Posted 1/14/2007 3:02 PM (#232136 - in reply to #232132)

RE: "original makers will carry on. A great example is the Show Girl Inlines"

I doubt many of the original makers are left except Mepps. Not sure if Mepps ever put out an inline bucktails with two blades either? I did see a big double bladed monster bucktail reportedly from the 40s sold on eBay about a year ago. Funny things was, if you painted the blades up and put new hair on it, it would look just like most of the current big inline ones you see today.

With that said, I was just pointing out that many companies are coming out with double bladed monster bucktails now. I should say that there seems to be a highly renewed interest in them! I hope to join the crowd soon making them. My addition will be to make one of the strongest and heavy duty bucktails yet. I would hope people could use my lure and after 100 hours of use just change the treble hooks and keep fishing. I have not done this but I have talked with some fishermen who have used their current double bladed bucktails so much that the blades warped. Hence mine will use a 0.040” thick blade. If nothing else it is just good old over engineering! lol

James

Grunt Lures
Posted 1/14/2007 9:31 PM (#232183 - in reply to #232132)

MNmatt,

Just curious. How long has Musky Mania had a double bladed bucktail? I thought Mojo just came out with theirs too (in the last year or so.)

Thanks,
James
AWH
Posted 1/16/2007 10:43 AM (#232469 - in reply to #232183)

James,

Musky Mania's Double Trouble has been around for awhile now, although I'm not sure how long. Mojo's Double X isn't any older than the company, which isn't very old.

On the blades, one thing to take into consideration is that when you go to the thicker blades you're losing some of the vibration that is a key triggering point with these big tails. Thicker blades equal less vibration. But they also pull easier. And as you mentioned, they will be more durable, which is a selling point. But like with anything, there is trade off.

Aaron

Edited by AWH 1/16/2007 10:43 AM
Billy B
Posted 1/16/2007 2:31 PM (#232519 - in reply to #232107)

musky mania tackle has had the sneaky pete for some time now, before it was bought out by drifter. it is also not that big, 7 inches, #8 blades.

Billy Brumett
Grunt Lures
Posted 1/16/2007 6:03 PM (#232589 - in reply to #232469)

Thanks Aaron. I also plan on keeping the big #10 blade for the extra vibration. Thought about a #11 or #12 but I think that is getting a little big for most... I think the #10s do just fine looking at the Muskies Inc. data for the Cowgirl! WOW!!! Over 200 50+ inchers on that baby! That lure will not be unseated from the royal bucktail throne for a long time IF ever. Always good to have a goal to be just as popular though.

James
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)