Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Best topwater rear-prop-style bait?

Message Subject: Best topwater rear-prop-style bait?
VMS
Posted 1/4/2007 5:25 PM (#230005)
Subject: Best topwater rear-prop-style bait?

Hi everyone,

I've been looking at getting some different rear-prop styled topwater baits for the upcoming year. It seems that every one of the baits out there has something good about them. I like the sound of the topraider, but I don't like how fast I have to crank to get it to pop well. Poes has good weight, but the metal tail is way too light. These are the only two I have any experience with and overall have been a little disappointed in their abilities to hook fish as well. I have yet to catch a fish on a topraider, although I have had plenty of opportunities. They are on for a few moments, then gone. Many of those are from fish that attack from the rear.... It just seems that the hook only can get the middle of the mouth.

Anyway, enough ranting. How good are pacemakers or Turbo Jacks? Anyone seen the new rumbler yet? How sturdy is it's tail?

I really like these styled baits, but I want something that is heavy, durable, and hopefully does not need to be tuned. Heavy tail section is definitely a good thing.

Thanks everyone.

steve
Bytor
Posted 1/4/2007 5:33 PM (#230006 - in reply to #230005)
Subject: RE: Best topwater rear-prop-style bait?

Put a bigger hook on your Top Raider. The TR and Lee Tauchen's Water Chopper are my two favorites.
esox50
Posted 1/4/2007 5:59 PM (#230013 - in reply to #230005)

Had a long string of emails with the maker of the Rumbler. I think for what you want, it's the bait for you. Already set aside $$$ to get one this winter!!!

Another good, heavy, LOUD bait is the Pacemaker (sound can be subdued if you remove the middle "clack" hook). Heavy brass tail means you don't need to tune it, but sometimes all it takes is just a little tweak and the fish go nuts.

Keep throwing the Topraider, though. To fix the lack-of-pop problem, try bending the tail INWARD more. Pushing the tail out gives it more of a swish sound. It will also force you to slow down more which might aid in hookups.
Rockin' SV
Posted 1/4/2007 6:24 PM (#230022 - in reply to #230005)

After last year I'm a huge fan of the Pacemaker, which put some really nice fish in the boat. Also had a bit of luck with the Super Topraider which really makes a comotion on the surface.
MN Jackpot
Posted 1/4/2007 7:38 PM (#230032 - in reply to #230005)

Hey Guys,
My too favorite topwater lures are the Pacemaker and Water Chopper. Also if you are looking
for another topwater try the thunderhead.
Reef Hawg
Posted 1/4/2007 7:52 PM (#230035 - in reply to #230005)

Really tough to beat a Topraider for action, durability and hooking. that is usually the first tailbait out of the box, though the wife usually already has one on, so I need to grab something else. Favorite wooden tail baits are the Rylure Tapdancer(original tailclacking tail bait), the Hi Fin Teasertail, and the Pacemaker.
partlycloudy
Posted 1/4/2007 11:42 PM (#230064 - in reply to #230005)

try american hardwood lures lac seuel turbo . for my money strongest and best available. multiple sizes,great paint rear section lined,and a small second kicker blade so you can work much slower if desired.pastikas carries and maker works there booth at chicago musky show.
AWH
Posted 1/5/2007 8:26 AM (#230100 - in reply to #230005)

The Top Raider and Pacemaker are easily my top two. I've actually had excellent hook up percentages on the Top Raider. It's proven to be one of my better big fish baits.

Aaron
MoMuskieguy
Posted 1/5/2007 10:28 AM (#230139 - in reply to #230005)

My vote goes to the AHL (American Hardwoods Lure) Lac Suel Turbo... I caught my biggest Muskie at a black one. Super easy to fish and will plop at a slow retrieve. Its better built and is more durable then my Top Raider.

Edited by MoMuskieguy 1/5/2007 10:29 AM
jclymer
Posted 1/5/2007 11:15 AM (#230150 - in reply to #230005)

Pacemaker are awsome, American hardwood lures are great, but don't forget the ole trusty talleywacker, we still continue to have success on this bait, and for some reason, the hooking percentage is almost 100%..
VMS
Posted 1/5/2007 2:10 PM (#230196 - in reply to #230150)

Well everyone, I splurged today...

I purchased a 5-1/2 inch pacemaker today... looks good and although a little pricey, I hope it will do the job.

Ended up with a few other things as well, so the wallet is a bit lighter now.

Steve
musky-skunk
Posted 1/5/2007 3:28 PM (#230220 - in reply to #230005)

Last time I splurged at Thorne Bros. the bill rang up at 500+ dollars OUCH! I only bought lures and a couple fluorocarbon leader but at $30 bucks a pop the cost adds up quick.

My favorite bait is a field mouse topraid that catches fish like none of the other ones I own. I also like pacemakers, AHL's, stompers, and last but not least low riders. I am also going to purchase the first rumbler I come accross, they sound like a real good bait.
Pikiespawn
Posted 1/5/2007 3:54 PM (#230228 - in reply to #230005)

My vote goes to studfinder...... If you can get your hands on one..........
muskie_man
Posted 1/5/2007 4:07 PM (#230235 - in reply to #230005)

If you guys had to pick one topwater out of these two i have listed for calm water and still works great in rough water, which would it be? The Super Topraider or the Large Pacemaker? Which has the best sound? Thanks!

Edited by muskie_man 1/5/2007 4:07 PM
sputterbug
Posted 1/5/2007 4:49 PM (#230247 - in reply to #230235)

muskie_man - 1/5/2007 5:07 PM

If you guys had to pick one topwater out of these two i have listed for calm water and still works great in rough water, which would it be? The Super Topraider or the Large Pacemaker? Which has the best sound? Thanks!

That's a loaded question, and I hate giving you a middle of the road answer. If someone was setting fire to my Lakewood, the Pacemakers would be the first I'd grab.

However, here's a comparison if it helps (only my opinion). And maybe you need both baits:

In flat calm or low ripple I might not be throwing either of these. A creeper or Doc perhaps. But both the SuperT and the big Pacemaker are awesome baits and versatile.

Durability: SuperT. Plastic and good finish. The Pacemaker paint doesn't stand up long, but on some of my trips with Ty he's said his best ones are beat up ... because they get used.

Tweakability: Pacemaker. A blessing and a curse. It's easier to modify, IMHO. You can bend the prop slightly to get more "pop," replace the clacker hooks with a cotter pin, or cut the whole thing apart and dream up some "improvements."

Speed: Tie, depending on your (and the fish's) taste at the moment. Pacemaker is slower, both are delicious.

Sound: Pacemaker. I'm a sucker for that clack-clack-clack, especially as it gets close to the boat. Just hold on.

Hooking: Tie.

Color: C'mon. It's a topwater. Maybe there are differences, but I can't imagine a controlled experiment that would prove it!

What have I left out?

If there's any good news, MM, you can't go wrong with either
Rockin' SV
Posted 1/5/2007 6:32 PM (#230275 - in reply to #230005)

We had incredible action in both calm and rough water with the Pacemaker last year. I didn't get a Super Topraider until towards the end of season, and really didn't try it out in rough water, but did catch a decent one on it in a figure 8 in the short period of time I was throwing. The Pacemaker is definately good in rough water, but I can't really compart the ST. I will say that the big Pacemaker is much better than the regular Topraider in rough water.
Musky Chad
Posted 1/5/2007 10:03 PM (#230312 - in reply to #230100)

I also like the Pacemaker, you can cast it a mile and the clacking sound drives the skis crazy.
Chad
jclymer
Posted 1/5/2007 10:13 PM (#230314 - in reply to #230005)

rough water (Mille Lacs rough) --- Lowrider without a doubt

Ripple Water ---- Pacemaker or talleywaker

Calm water ---- Hogwoobler
Kazmuskie
Posted 1/6/2007 10:32 AM (#230363 - in reply to #230005)

As others have mentioned, the Lac Suel Turbo from American Hardwoods Lures is a great choice. AHL makes several others variations of the rear bladed topwater too. AHL makes the Lac Suel Mini, Mini-Mag, Medium, Super turbo, Giant, and Two Timer. All of these lures are wired through with Brass bushings and linings for smooth operation. They feature tough paint jobs as well. Several models are available as Guide Series versions which are the ultimate for durability featuring heavier through wires and hook hangers. Like 500# hook hangers aren't heavy enough. They also make several other style Surface Lures (Whuumper, Giant Klunker, J-Walker) Best to visit Phil at the Pastika's Booth in Chicago if possible. I know I will. Or he has gone to the Milwaukee Muskie Show and the Madison All Species fishing show with Pastika's in past years. He also has a website- www.musky-lures.com It's definately worth a look. There have been some huge fish caught on thse lures.
DAHLTAILS
Posted 1/6/2007 10:39 AM (#230364 - in reply to #230005)

In calm water I have had good luck with a slow retreive with the water chopper. The tail on the chopper is very srtong. When the waves get big I get out the super top raider. Lee is coming out with a double water chopper, which will be the first tail bait out of my box when the wind kicks up.
FYGR8
Posted 1/6/2007 3:15 PM (#230395 - in reply to #230005)

I prefer the Hawg Wobbler to the Hog Woobler. Fish like the wobble better than the wooble. Just kidding!
bn
Posted 1/6/2007 6:24 PM (#230430 - in reply to #230005)

why do you want something you don't have to tune? IMO the best tail baits are the ones you tune to get just that right "plop"..it's easy to do and takes all of 2 seconds...Lee's chopper has been the best producer in my boat for 3 seasons ...not even sure how many fish ...somewhere around 50 -60 i'm sure...I'd have a Lee's Chopper, Topraider, Pacemaker and the new Rumbler and you'd be set...
curleytail
Posted 1/7/2007 1:11 PM (#230524 - in reply to #230005)

Last year I had pretty good luck with Holcombe Tackle Stompers. I hooked nearly every fish that didn't completely miss the bait, and there were only a couple that just flat out missed. I might try a Topraider this year, but I've hear so much about Pacemakers that I will definately be ordering a Pacemaker or two.

curleytail
Got Esox?
Posted 1/8/2007 5:49 PM (#230864 - in reply to #230005)

Sennett's Pacemaker & Tauchen's Chopper get my vote.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)