Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Superline Question?

Message Subject: Superline Question?
muskie_man
Posted 12/5/2006 9:40 PM (#223949)
Subject: Superline Question?

For years now i have been using 50 and 65 pound power pro. I am looking to move up to 80 pound test for bucktails. How do you all like Stren Super Braid and Spiderwire Stealth in 80 pound test or should i just stick with getting Power Pro? What would you guys recomend?Also which is the best for ease of castability? Thanks for any info!

Edited by muskie_man 12/5/2006 9:45 PM
The Yeti
Posted 12/5/2006 10:11 PM (#223961 - in reply to #223949)
Subject: RE: Superline Question?

cortland spectron in 80...i've had NO problems with it for 3 seasons. it seems easier to get backlashes out with that stuff compared to power pro..though, i have power pro on a few reels.

i like the spectron, it seems softer and casts fine.
Schuler
Posted 12/6/2006 12:47 AM (#223993 - in reply to #223961)

I like spiderwire stealth. I hate powerpro. Lots of people love it. Its a personal preference. Spiderwire stealth and Tuff-line XP are my favorites.

Edit: forgot about the stren. I've never used it for muskies but the 20 lb for bass has been really bad for me. It breaks much more easily than power pro or stealth.

Edited by Schuler 12/6/2006 12:47 AM
Kazmuskie
Posted 12/6/2006 6:06 AM (#224000 - in reply to #223949)

I like the Cortland Spectron. It's much more pliable and smooth. Doesn't whine at you like Power Pro can, especially for bucktails. Haven't had any problems since I switched it two years ago. I've also have a spool with Tuffline XP on it. I like that as well. When you at the store run some power pro through your fingers, and the some Spectron. You'll feel the difference.
bn
Posted 12/6/2006 9:12 AM (#224034 - in reply to #223949)

I use 80 lb stealth on all my reels....good stuff
Professional Edge
Posted 12/6/2006 9:40 AM (#224043 - in reply to #223949)

Cortland Masterbraid Bronzeback is the best line I have used. This line is even better then their other stuff. More weaves per inch and the color/waterproofing is injected into the line rather then coated on the outside like everybody else. This line stays round and remains more stiff. Lots of qualities to like with this line.

I doubt those that have used it this year will ever go back to anything else.

I will have some at the shows for folks to look at.

Keith
Matt Collins
Posted 12/6/2006 11:51 AM (#224080 - in reply to #223949)

Keith, is that stuff ever going to be available 80 & 100# test in the stores other than bulk?
Professional Edge
Posted 12/6/2006 12:21 PM (#224084 - in reply to #223949)

It might this year.

I will try and order some to bring to the shows.

Keith
mseybert
Posted 12/6/2006 3:20 PM (#224133 - in reply to #223949)

Cabelas can special order 80# bronzeback in 150yd and 300yd spools. Pretty goodprice too.
esoxaddict
Posted 12/6/2006 3:37 PM (#224139 - in reply to #224133)

I haven't used the bronzeback very much yet, but I have some 80# and some of the 130#.

So far the 130# casts better than you'd expect, doesn't fade, and doesn't seem to fray.

I've used Powerpro in both 50# and 80#. Broke the 50# a couple times and quit using it. The 80# Powerpro looks kind of fuzzy after a season, but I haven't broken it.

I have 80# Cortland Spectron on one reel, and so far I really like it. Seems harder to backlash with Spectron (cound be the reel its on) and easier to pick them out (maybe the color is easier to see?)

I've also tried 65# Tuff Line XP on my bucktail reel. So far so good.

If I had to put them in order, first being my favorite and last being my least favorite

1. 130# Bronzeback (confidence factor, sure isn't going to break)
2. 80# Cortland Spectron
3. 65# Tuff Line (If I bought it again I'd use 80#)
4. 80# PowerPro
5. 50# Powerpro (Too light, plus if you get a backlash you're finished)

Some other things that don't effect quality:

1. ALL line fades. If you like green fingers and green stained cork on your rods, buy dark green line.
If blue is more your thing, buy blue. I prefer lighter colors all over my hands. (the bronzeback and gray coloered powerpro don't fades as much, or maybe they just fade a color that you can't see as well, who knows.

2. Some lines seem like they soak up more water than others. That spray in your face when you cast isn't bad on a hot day. But when it's 25? It's not so fun, and you get ice all in your guides, and the line guide on your reel, and built up on the sides of the spool...

So far, the Cortland Spectron and Bronzeback soak up the least amount of water.
Shredder
Posted 12/6/2006 7:30 PM (#224191 - in reply to #223949)

I have used 80 pound Power Pro and Stren Superbraid. I think I like the Stren better as it seemed to cast better on my reels and not fade quite as fast. I spooled one reel with Tuff Line 80 pound late this season and I think I might switch all my reels to that next season.
muskie_man
Posted 12/6/2006 10:22 PM (#224219 - in reply to #224043)

Professional Edge - 12/6/2006 10:40 AM

Cortland Masterbraid Bronzeback is the best line I have used. This line is even better then their other stuff. More weaves per inch and the color/waterproofing is injected into the line rather then coated on the outside like everybody else. This line stays round and remains more stiff. Lots of qualities to like with this line.

I doubt those that have used it this year will ever go back to anything else.

I will have some at the shows for folks to look at.

Keith

Where can i get some of this Cortland Masterbriad Bronzeback or where can i see a sample of it? Thanks!
Professional Edge
Posted 12/7/2006 6:21 AM (#224244 - in reply to #224219)

I made arrangements to bring some for sale to the Chicago, Milwaukee and Blaine show.

If you want a sample PM me and I will mail some out to you this week. It really is good stuff. You have not heard much about it because they only offered it in large spools and did not advertise much. Last year they had a problem getting the material to make it so they were sold out from time to time. I am told that will not be the case this year.

If you have any questions you sure could call me. 612-802-4629

Hope all is well.
Keith
Illineye
Posted 12/9/2006 8:38 AM (#224595 - in reply to #224244)

I don't believe that I have ever...or at best, rarely...seen any mention of Fireline in these posts.
Am I missing something that you guys have already figured out? I like Fireline and have used
it successfully for several years. Too much tunnel vision on my part?
curleytail
Posted 12/9/2006 10:22 AM (#224609 - in reply to #223949)

Illineye, I don't think Fireline is made over 30lb test is it? I think that's why none of the musky fisherman are using it. I use Fireline on some of my walleye spinning rods and it works pretty well. I switched to that after getting terrible "air knots" from PowerPro.
I haven't used anything but 80lb. PowerPro for musky fishing yet. It seems to work okay, but I get more backlashes than I would have thought I would. Next year I am going to try some other stuff to see if it's me or the line.

curleytail
Illineye
Posted 12/24/2006 7:56 AM (#227443 - in reply to #224609)

Sorry for my delay in responding...the Honeydo list has been quite large this year.
I use 50# test Fireline. It knots well and seems to hold up quite nicely.
I use fluorocarbon leaders.
I would say Fireline's only weakness might be that the green color washes out
rather quickly to gray.
I use Vanish on my walley rigs.
Ranger
Posted 12/24/2006 10:07 AM (#227472 - in reply to #223949)

80# PowerPro on all rods except the jig/creature, that one gets 30# PowerPro. I really like PowerPro, though I haven't used others mentioned above. I "turn the line over" every other year by reeling line from one reel to another. That technique buries last year's used line. The next year I replace all line on all rods. So, fresh line every year.

I hate Fireline on Abu baitcasters because it seems to flatten out and get buried creating terrible backlashes. I can always get a PowerPro backlash* out pretty quick, but not fireline. Now, 14# Fireline on a medium action spinning rod is my killer summer bass trolling rod, and I'm using light Fireline, including the new 1# Crystal Ice on the Frabrill ice rods. But no fireline for muskies.

I want to try the new stuff myself.

*Backlash trick.....place the pad of your thumb on the center of the backlash and rub the line from side to side, kinda rolling it around. Then pull lightly while still rubbing and you will be suprised how many backlashes come right out.
pamuskyhunter
Posted 12/25/2006 1:51 PM (#227629 - in reply to #223949)

I hate the stren super braid, it frays really easy!
I mainly use 65# power pro,seems to work faily well,never had a problem with it.
Don't really like the spiderwire stealth,doesn't cast very well and i had a muskie snap my 80# with ease.
Never used Cortland Braid,thought about trying it out!

suick48
Posted 12/25/2006 3:42 PM (#227650 - in reply to #223949)

i use both power pro in 80 and 65 and cortland spectron in 80 and like them both. tried 50 power pro
or spiderwire and my brother backlashed so bad i had to cut it.
Chuck
Posted 12/26/2006 9:00 PM (#227904 - in reply to #223949)

I used to use the 80# power pro and switched to the cortland Spectrum this year. It is a much better line. Much more pliable out of the box,less backlasshes, easier to handle and I think it holds u[ better. Lastly, I think it casts much smoother and farther, whihc I like, since I cast a lot of topwaters over large shallow weed structure.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)