Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> Yahara Chain observations (Bone Lake brood)

Message Subject: Yahara Chain observations (Bone Lake brood)
C.Painter
Posted 12/7/2006 11:04 AM (#224287 - in reply to #224046)
Subject: RE: Yahara Chain observations (Bone Lake brood)

esoxaddict - 12/6/2006 9:59 AM

That's what I was getting at with the "limitations of the ecosystem" comment, Lambeau -- There's a lot of runoff, both urban and agricultural. The lakes are very fertile, too fertile. You've seen the die-off's in the spring from all the bacteria. There's a lot of silt, a lot of pressure, a lot of pollution, and you find warmer water temperatures than what would be considered ideal. I don't know for sure, but I'd imagine that the mercury contamination from the coal fired power plant isn't helping either

Don't misunderstand -- for what it is, and where it is, it is outstanding! But the environment those lakes are located in certainly is a limiting factor!

If you were to move those lakes 150 miles North and leave all the development behind, how different would they be?

How many 50" fish do you think they would support?

put down the bowl EA.....
IF you took the Madison Chain and put it up north....it would be LESS of a sucess. The bio mass that is in there is in part due to the location and the run off. It would be VERY HARD to support the amount of fish in that system if it was less fertile. Yes the pea soup in the summer stinks...but the whole food chain is feed off the phyto/zooplankton...and they are sure going strong here. I would like to know other than mortality what limitations are there?? Will the chain produce 40 lbers, yes, 50 lbers?? Possible...might not live long enough to grow...THAT might be the limitation.

Our water temps get warm, but not that warm 10 feet down. Our lakes strat at about 23-25 feet give or take....plenty of room to roam and survive quite well.

Have you been on Monona or even Wauby in the late fall early spring??? Big difference between the fox chain and these lakes.

Do I think Monona and wauby will kick out a good share of 50 inch fish in the next 5-10 years, yes I do. More so then Pewaukee, maybe not, but right up there. Anyone that spends a large amount of time around these waters and handles a lot of these muskies knows the potential is there and its coming with time!!

Oh, and the fact that the muskie fishery IS is young fishery here is FACT, direct from the DNR experts....not my opinion. Talk to Scott Stewart some time....he starts foaming at the mouth and gets a big smile on his face when you talk about what the chain will look like for big fish in the next 5 years etc......

Cory
Pointerpride102
Posted 12/7/2006 11:14 AM (#224288 - in reply to #222885)

Hey Corey do you have Scot's email? Is it still his normal DNR one? I'm trying to get ahold of him. THanks

Mike
BNelson
Posted 12/7/2006 1:36 PM (#224319 - in reply to #222885)

was talking with a couple guys last nite that do alot of bass fishing on the chain...they knew of 2 verified 49"ers this summer on monona caught by of course bass guys on 10" power worms....I caught a super tubby 46" in sept 04 that if it is still swimming should be a monster by now...07 is gonna be a great one on the chain...more and bigger fish for sure...

C.Painter
Posted 12/7/2006 2:27 PM (#224330 - in reply to #224319)

Or how about this skinny 45 incher from 01(pretty sure 01)!!!!!! (sorry photo is taken off video)

Boy I would like to dance with her again in 07, SIX YEARS LATER!!!!!

Cory

Edited by C.Painter 12/7/2006 3:29 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(45 incher 01.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 45 incher 01.jpg (68KB - 213 downloads)
BNelson
Posted 12/7/2006 4:24 PM (#224354 - in reply to #222885)

that is a fatty, that must have been caught LATE in the season..what was the date on that catch Cory?

Edited by MSKY HNR 12/7/2006 5:18 PM
C.Painter
Posted 12/7/2006 8:43 PM (#224387 - in reply to #224354)

can't remember the exact date....late fall though :_))
Cory
bn
Posted 12/8/2006 9:27 AM (#224436 - in reply to #222885)

The video is being reviewed by CSI Musky.
BNelson
Posted 12/8/2006 10:00 AM (#224441 - in reply to #222885)

Steve, did a little calculating....my boat avg. for Monona/Waubesa this year was just a tad under 39"...that is with over 30 fish though...the more you catch the harder it is to keep the avg. size up as we all know...
the 5 biggest at 47, 46.75, 46, 45, and 44.5....

can't wait to catch any one of the big ones next year....this 47 should be a solid 48+ next year...

bnelson

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(47 2 .JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 47 2 .JPG (23KB - 205 downloads)
esoxaddict
Posted 12/8/2006 10:25 AM (#224444 - in reply to #224287)

Cory

I have, and I wish it was clear like that all year!

As for the runoff/fertility issue, here's some general info about how too much nitrogen and phosphorous can affect a lake ecosystem:

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/water/wm/nps/ag/waterquality.htm#q3

More doesn't always mean better apparently
C.Painter
Posted 12/8/2006 11:20 AM (#224460 - in reply to #222885)

EA, After reading my post agin I can see how it sounds like I am all for run off etc....which I am NOT at all. But, a little of the cities influence isn't all bad, but to the extent it happens, yes it is bad. I think it was last year when it was REALLY dry....we had significantly less run off during the peak fertilizer time. And the lake had the best claritiy it had had in a long time.

I am totally in your camp, to much isn't a good thing. Nice link too!

Cory
lambeau
Posted 12/8/2006 2:07 PM (#224481 - in reply to #222885)

no one's saying these lakes don't have ecological problems, just looking at them in mid-summer will tell that to the least observant of us! i think the recent phosphorus fertilizer ban in Madison will help. the Madison area lakes won't ever be compared to more pristine lakes up north with natural reproduction and low density, etc.
comparing apples to apples: Madison area lakes to Milwaukee or Twin Cities urban fisheries is more fair. i've yet to hear/read anything that suggests we can't expect them to perform equally well. we don't have to prove it will happen on a message board (although it makes for fun discussion!) - we just have to wait a bit for nature and time to catch this system up to those others.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)