Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Fishing Backwards??

Message Subject: Fishing Backwards??
castiousmaximus
Posted 11/9/2006 9:08 AM (#219883)
Subject: Fishing Backwards??

Just wondered on how many lefties are out there??

I reel left, it just seems easier and more practical. I should say also that I have always reeled left on my spinning reels too. Just seems to make more sense.
esoxaddict
Posted 11/9/2006 9:32 AM (#219898 - in reply to #219883)
Subject: RE: Fishing Backwards??

I go both ways, err ahhh I mean I fish left AND right handed...

I started out fishing left handed. Making the transition from spinning to casting reels it just seemed natural.

Then I won a right handed reel, and rather than sell it I decided to try it. Cast-switch hands-reel like everyone else.

Hmmm... It does help with fatigue being able to switch bach and forth. But now I have issues. (LOL)

For one I can't cast over my left shoulder.

Another is that you have to do your figure 8's backwards.

I am much more comfortable setting the hook with my right hand, and I like not having to switch hands after a cast, but I am much better at working jerkbaits and gliders fishing right handed -- I just can't do it right the other way.

And there is the matter of reels not being offered in left handed models...

I hope to someday be comfortable enough with both left and right handed reels that it just won't matter, but for now I have to keep switching back and forth depending on what lure I am throwing.
Raider150
Posted 11/9/2006 1:55 PM (#220005 - in reply to #219883)

E.A. That sounds like wayto much work. Don't go back to the dark side.
jonnysled
Posted 11/9/2006 2:00 PM (#220006 - in reply to #219883)

another "backwards" thought to ponder. on a lake you've never seen before when you are working shore-based structure ... have you ever put the boat on the shore and worked from the shoreline out to the breaks and points? of course this might be dependent on wind conditions to you don't trash the boat, but i did this the first time i fished lake katherine up here about 7 years ago with a friend who uses the tactic to learn lakes ... of course katherine is gin clear and you can see quite well. i thought it was an interesting process to learn the structure more accurately for a first time out.

or was the brownie i ate for desert "loaded"
Raider150
Posted 11/9/2006 2:08 PM (#220008 - in reply to #219883)

Sounds interesting. Wouldn't you worry about hitting shallow logs,rocks and whatever else is up there? I guess thats why you have insurance. I thought I read a post thats the way you guys do it on the cisco lakes in the fall.
esoxaddict
Posted 11/9/2006 2:14 PM (#220009 - in reply to #220006)

Sled

I never thought of it as a way to learn the lake, but I have done it. Mostly just because I figured the fish use both sides of it, so why shouldn't I?

I also wonder if they get conditioned to seeing lures always going the same direction -- away from the structure out towards deep water, when the logical thing a baitfish would do is head TOWARDS the structure... Not enough confidence in that theory to give it a lot of water time, but I DO think about it.
esoxaddict
Posted 11/9/2006 2:14 PM (#220010 - in reply to #220006)

Sled

I never thought of it as a way to learn the lake, but I have done it. Mostly just because I figured the fish use both sides of it, so why shouldn't I?

I also wonder if they get conditioned to seeing lures always going the same direction -- away from the structure out towards deep water, when the logical thing a baitfish would do is head TOWARDS the structure... Not enough confidence in that theory to give it a lot of water time, but I DO think about it.
jonnysled
Posted 11/9/2006 2:15 PM (#220011 - in reply to #219883)

it's only really effective when the wind is laid down ... and remember that boats bounce and don't break ... that is the point though in that you get to really see that stuff and really learn what you would otherwise just cast at arrently. if you are tight enough and work it slow enough you won't disturb most of the cover that you are now learning in detail ... but then the guy i learned this from is famous for placing in a river bass tourney by trimming up and running over the spillway instead of going through the lock so he could make the weigh-in. i've sat on the rocks under a spillway with him in his 20' champion stuck in the rocks casting and he never broke a sweat or even looked up .... he just kept on fishin' ... when i asked him about it he said ... at least i didn't have to work to keep the boat still in the current!!! LMAO
Raider150
Posted 11/9/2006 2:19 PM (#220013 - in reply to #219883)

LOL
Missouri Wayne
Posted 11/9/2006 3:42 PM (#220040 - in reply to #219883)

A lot of people fish the Lake Shelbyville spillway for muskies and it is primarily from shore. It is a little wierd and a little hard to do an 8 but you need to. A follow at your feet in less than a foot of water will stop (or start) your heart.

A fifty would be nifty.
scott24
Posted 11/9/2006 4:03 PM (#220044 - in reply to #219883)

I'm a rightie and reel leftie.  It's more comfortable and feels stronger using my right hand holding the rod.  It does limit the variety of baitcasting reels available but there are enough out there that I don't feel deprived.  That makes shopping decisions easier, I guess.

esoxaddict
Posted 11/9/2006 4:14 PM (#220046 - in reply to #219883)

As goofy as it sounds I'd encourage everybody to try to learn the other way from whatever way you fish...

(fish backwards? Is this guy smoking crack or what??)

WHY??

1. You can use anybody's gear if you have to, and anybody can use yours
2. You can fish for 16 hours if you want because you don't get as tired
3. In the event of a hand/wrist/arm/shoulder injury it may mean the difference between fishing and wishing.

Maybe in your world those aren't good reasons to learn something backwards that you already know how to do just fine, but for me? Well, let's just say I'm all by myself in my own little world and leave it at that!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)