Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: This is wierd purposeless part of the forum, so it should be popular...
- (Added by: MuskieFIRST)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> What triggers strikes more?

Message Subject: What triggers strikes more?
Tigger
Posted 10/12/2006 8:32 PM (#214456)
Subject: What triggers strikes more?

What triggers strikes more - the size, the color, or the action of the lure?
Posted 10/12/2006 8:56 PM (#214461 - in reply to #214456)
Subject: RE: What triggers strikes more?

I gotta say that color gets attention, I like bright to expand distance at which a fish can detect the bait. Generally the action is the biggest thing to trigger strikes but thats cos I am a jerkbait/ topwater guy. You could ask a troller or a hair and rubber guy and get a diferent answer or two different answers. Alot of it is the bait you are throwing. I fish for active fish sight feeding or loud topwaters. Covering water and working the odds. I once heard someone say that there are no mirrors underwater so how does a musky know its size relative to another thing. It cant see itself. I know if it will fit down their throat they will eat it, and some that doesnt. I dont put much on size but how you wiggle the worm. Just my two cents.
KJ
darkwing1
Posted 10/13/2006 12:26 PM (#214578 - in reply to #214456)

I think the action is ultimately the biggest factor in getting the attention of the fish, but the color is most responsible for hooks ups. Matching the hatch seems to be a proven method when choosing lures for all fish types. Topwaters discount the color factor, but that's where the true "killer instinct" comes into play for predatory fish such as musky who just react to what they think is an easy target regardless of color.
castmaster
Posted 10/13/2006 5:47 PM (#214653 - in reply to #214456)

i think a big part is the water type and conditions you fish in. i fish the mississippi river some and feel action is much more a factor than color due to water clarity. now when i hit mille lacs color may play a bigger role due to the clearer water.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)