Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: After being asked why he smokes so much, the Marshall replies "Well.....I'm a smoker."
- (Added by: Dirt Esox)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Painting Nickel plated blades???

Message Subject: Painting Nickel plated blades???
UPMuskyr
Posted 10/5/2006 4:34 PM (#212899)
Subject: Painting Nickel plated blades???

I just found a couple of (I beleive) Nickel plated spinner blades, I would like to paint them different colors. What is the best, easiest, and most durable way of painting them?? If there is such a thing....Randy
Muskiefool
Posted 10/5/2006 10:28 PM (#212947 - in reply to #212899)
Subject: RE: Painting Nickel plated blades???

Powder Paint Randy
ToddM
Posted 10/5/2006 10:30 PM (#212949 - in reply to #212899)

I have spray painted the blades and the paint chips off fairly quickly. Do what the fool says.
Dallas
Posted 10/6/2006 5:19 AM (#212958 - in reply to #212899)

I've airbrushed and epoxied them the same as you would a lure and it has worked well.

Dallas
John23
Posted 10/6/2006 12:32 PM (#213033 - in reply to #212899)

My experience is that powder paint will crack and come off, even if you bake it.

It's tough to paint blades. Factory paint jobs go on unfinished brass. Your best best is to scuff up the metal before you paint, no matter what type of paint you put on them.

John
Shep
Posted 10/6/2006 2:31 PM (#213069 - in reply to #213033)

There is a product out there caleed, I think, Lure Allure. I'll have to ask or dig in my lure tools. It dyes the metal blades. They stay shiney, too. Great stuff. Use it on my spinner blades for my walleye spinner rigs. Call Tom Keenan at the Gander in Wausau, and ask him what it's exactly called. I think he stocks it.

Edited by Shep 10/6/2006 2:32 PM
Don Pfeiffer
Posted 10/6/2006 9:34 PM (#213138 - in reply to #213069)

Steelwool them really good and then clean with a good solvent. Prime and then paint. It won't last forever but seems to to do the trick for me.

Pfeiff
jlong
Posted 10/9/2006 10:55 AM (#213504 - in reply to #213138)

I'm with Pfieffer on this one. Personally, I think the use of a good primer is the key.... along with scuffing up the surface. Never tried cleaning with a solvent... but I'm sure that doesn't hurt. Anything beyond this simple technique just doesn't seem to be worth the hassle......

One of my favorite tricks is to paint the backside of metal blades. You still get the flash from the metal surface for calling up the fish from longer distances... yet have some color to help convert those lookers into biters once they have engaged the bait. Gives the blade a nice "flicker effect" too. Scuff, primer, and paint works good for this trick.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)