Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Can we tell musky size by bite marks on a sucker?

Message Subject: Can we tell musky size by bite marks on a sucker?
MuskieE
Posted 9/4/2006 8:39 AM (#207762)
Subject: Can we tell musky size by bite marks on a sucker?

Saturday morning I decided to soak a sucker.With the colder longer nights I figured there might be one or two fish setting up on the break line or deep weeds.I had this sucker down 8 feet in 19 feet of water.Im thinking the fish grabbed and dropped the sucker before I got to it.The bite marks are around 4 inches wide on a 11inch sucker.How big was the fish lost????

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(suckerfish.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments suckerfish.jpg (45KB - 1110 downloads)
Posted 9/4/2006 9:20 AM (#207768 - in reply to #207762)
Subject: RE: Can we tell musky size by bite marks on a sucker?

I would say not very big, maybe even a small pike.
jlong
Posted 9/4/2006 9:25 AM (#207769 - in reply to #207768)

Wow... cool picture Eric. I'd guess a healthy 36 incher tried to take that sucker down. You know... one of those football fish with a small head and huge gut... suggesting fast growth rates. Regardless of size... that fish had some nice sharp teeth.
sorenson
Posted 9/4/2006 9:53 AM (#207773 - in reply to #207762)

I don't know...we can't even seem to agree on a weight when we KNOW the length and girth. What you can determine is the distance between the teeth at some point in the fish's mouth. After enough experience catching a few fish on suckers and getting a chance to look at the bite patterns on those, (if possible) you can get a ballpark size range that would be most probable for a fish w/ that size of mouth. But to pin it down to a fish that is xx" in length is most unlikely. Unless you saw the fish or were fishing in waters w/o pike, you can't even tell for sure it was a muskie. I'll bet it was fun though!
Sorno
MuskieE
Posted 9/5/2006 5:31 AM (#207872 - in reply to #207762)

The lakes doesnt have any pike.So it has to be a musky.
MikeHulbert
Posted 9/5/2006 6:23 AM (#207877 - in reply to #207762)

I have seen this probably 50 times in my life.

With a sucker of only that size, the musky was small. I would say, less than 34-35.
dogboy
Posted 9/5/2006 6:52 AM (#207879 - in reply to #207762)

33-35 with some nice teeth!
Beav
Posted 9/5/2006 12:08 PM (#207913 - in reply to #207762)

Last week I was fishing north central MN and had an opportunity at the fish of a lifetime. I was throwing a 10" prototype glider, and when I paused it when it was 10 feet from the boat a fish of 54-56 inches came from the side and ate it. She didn't T-bone it, she simply opened her mouth and all 10" of the lure fit sideways in her huge mouth. She chomped down and turned to go when I set the hooks. Unfortunately for me, I buried the line in the spool from the hook set, so she couldn't take line out and I couldn't reel line in. I was alone, but if I had a partner she could have been netted numerous times during the 30 seconds that she wallowed and swam back and forth at boatside. When she tried to make a run, I tried to feed her line by hand while kneeling over the side of the boat with the rod buried in the water all the way to the reel seat, and that was all she needed to get off.
The mouth on that fish was big enough to eat a 10" long lure without touching it. After I got the lure back, there was paint chipped from the nose and tail in areas where hooks couldn't touch it. Take a look at a 10" lure and imagine the size of the fish that would have a mouth that wide. I've seen 52"ers up close and personal, and this one was larger with ease.
The fish of a lifetime lost due to circumstances beyond my control. I've buried the line on other hooksets, but never on a fish that big at such close distance. I'm suprised that I didn't break her neck when I set the hook.
JWB475
Posted 9/5/2006 6:50 PM (#207974 - in reply to #207913)

Here is a pick of a floater I found on a MN lake for reference, it was about 48 inches long, maybe more...

The measuring stick shows a spread of about 6 inches in the back of its mouth, but the spread between the teeth is likely less than that. However, the measuring stick probably was not as far back as possible.

It also depends where in the muskies mouth the sucker was when it chomped down on it. If the bite marks are parallel to each other, than it stands to reason the sucker was likely in the back of the muskies mouth when it bit down on it. If it isn't way in the back of its mouth, then who knows how big it was.

Your picture doesn't seem that cut and dry to me, maybe even the fish in this picture could have made marks like that?

Besides, the one's that get away are always big, so I say it was 60 inches long....

Edited by JWB475 9/5/2006 7:13 PM

(Mantrap2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Mantrap2.jpg (194KB - 8891 downloads)
Beaver
Posted 9/5/2006 8:34 PM (#207982 - in reply to #207762)

Here's a picture of the lure that was new until it was eaten.
You can see the marks at the head, middle and tail.
You don't believe me, I don't care.
Everything is a Louis Spray thing.
I don't know why I bother to post.

(Ten inch snack.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Ten inch snack.JPG (18KB - 149 downloads)
Pikiespawn
Posted 9/5/2006 9:00 PM (#207986 - in reply to #207762)

Beav,
The late, great Peter Haupt of Round Lake fame once told me that the truly large lunge (40#'s and up) just have a knack of escaping. They obviously have been hooked before and their size and strength and scarceness give the fisherman something that he or she is not used too.
I believe he put the ratio at 4 out of 5 escape.
Peter was a great muskie fisherman who i had alot of respect for. I for one, have only had one or maybe two such encounters with such fish. Both escaped and were hooked trolling. I never got to even see the largest one, cause she would not come up, despite a long (in my mind) battle. I was fishing world class water in Canada and have seen enough fights to know. My lure only had 2 bent out hooks, no other damage. Jim, i know the pain. As Peter would tell me, those chances don't come along often, and that escape is painful. After i lost my big fish, one of my best friends who was with me asked me if it would have been better to atleast seen her. I couldn't honestly answer that question.
Best to you, Pikiespawn

Thanks for sharing

PS I caught a 49.5 32#er the last day of the trip. I didn't think the fish was near that coming in. Thats when i knew what had escaped a few days before. Oh well....

Edited by Pikiespawn 9/5/2006 9:05 PM
MuskieMedic
Posted 9/5/2006 10:06 PM (#207994 - in reply to #207762)

Great pics guys!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)