Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> ? about marking "propbuster's"

Message Subject: ? about marking "propbuster's"
ManitouDan
Posted 8/29/2006 12:41 PM (#207112)
Subject: ? about marking "propbuster's"

do you ever have the right to remove someone's bouy from marking a propbuster--my Bro' marks the closest ones to our camp (within 1-2 miles)and the camp from 6-8 miles away removes them --he finally caught the guide in question removing one last week and nearly came to blows over it. The guide told my bro only approved bouy's could be left in the water, we did this for years ,we wrote on them "please leave alone-camp $@#$#) they were stolen as well. The guide refused to give back the bouys , brother could not catch up with him , guide had more HP. Guide also stated their motors get caught up in them ??? Anyway any of you guys that fish remote lakes have a problem with this type thing ? ManitouDan
Shep
Posted 8/29/2006 1:15 PM (#207123 - in reply to #207112)
Subject: RE: ? about marking "propbuster's"

If I damaged a prop and found out that a guide from another camp removed that marker, I would be PO'd big time. Come to blows, likely! Sounds like a question for the local DNR/MNR. Find out if there is a required bouy, and then use them. This is bordering on malicious something or other, but it probably could be a big word! Certainly wouldn't believe his reason that his motor gets caught up in them. He obviously sees them to remove them. I think it's done in hopes one of your clients hits it, and gets a negative reaction towards your brother's camp. Tell them if it keeps up, they might just find their actions plastered all over the internet. A little free advertisement, if you will.
esox50
Posted 8/29/2006 1:36 PM (#207131 - in reply to #207112)

Thats bologna. Up in Sab Bay and areas of by Nestor Falls people mark reefs and hittable rocks with empty propane containers. We marked a VERY big rock off King Island near Sab Bay lodge this year with a Propel Bottle (if anyone has seen it yet this year, let me know, that would make my day) by attaching it to a piece of rope already there presumably set by King Island Lodge. That guide is full of it.

I'd bring it up with the guide's employer. Let them know what you are doing is for everyone's safety.
Pointerpride102
Posted 8/29/2006 1:39 PM (#207132 - in reply to #207112)

You would think the guy would thank you for marking an area where he could ruin his lower unit. Amazing the nerve of some people these days!

Mike
IAJustin
Posted 8/29/2006 1:41 PM (#207134 - in reply to #207112)

i have stayed at 8 camps in Ont. (on 4 different lakes) they ALL mark rocks near the camp?
ManitouDan
Posted 8/29/2006 1:44 PM (#207135 - in reply to #207112)

We don't even run our camp commercially , my bro is semi-retired , up there almost all summer and lets friends, extended family and others use the place. He donated a free guided week in camp to the local HS basketball team to raffle off, the winners just spent that week 2 weeks ago, it's for those type people we mark spots. Every year we have new friends in camp. ManitouDan
Dirt Esox
Posted 8/29/2006 1:45 PM (#207136 - in reply to #207112)

Esox50,

We saw your Propel bottle two weeks ago by King. We thought it was random litter when we first saw it.
sledge51
Posted 8/29/2006 3:16 PM (#207146 - in reply to #207112)

I have heard about guides removing bouys like this to 'promote' business. Many camps mark propbusters close to camp. Where I stay on LOTW there are several infamous propbusters. Sometimes you will see a marker on them, usualy after someone hits them. They stay put until the wind blows them off, then back to business as usual.
esox50
Posted 8/29/2006 6:16 PM (#207165 - in reply to #207112)

Dirt, that's awesome!!! Hahaha! Did you find the big giant rock there? That was a pretty good spot for us back in July. Can't believe it's still there after a month, and that the resort hasn't put something else there. It's easy to hit if you're idling along from the main island to some of the surrounding ones. Thanks for letting me know!
Posted 8/30/2006 8:11 AM (#207223 - in reply to #207112)

I am not sure what the rules are up there, but I do know what they are in Wisconsin. In Wisconsin, if you mark a rock, stump, or any other underwater obstruction that can cause damage YOU now have taken reponsibility for any damage that obstruction causes.

No, it does not make sense, but if it is not marked by approved individuals and you mark it, you now take responsibility for it. I was floored when I heard this from two individuals and it was confirmed by a person from the DNR. One guy I spoke with had a rock bar out in front of his cabin and he put 3 bleach bottles with reflective tape on them; one at each end and one in the middle. A ski boat ran on top of it and sheared its lower unit off. Charges were pressed and the guy that marked the rock bar had to pay for repairs of the boat. Another guy lived on a lake with extensive boat traffic. Ski boats, skiers and jet ski's would come in really close to their swimming beach. He put a series of jugs out to mark a safety zone for his kids. A skier got tangled in one of the bouys, crashed and broke a bone of some sort. The guy had to pay for all medical bills, lost wages and other BS stuff.

Check with your DNR or whatever to find out what the rules are in your area.
dougj
Posted 8/30/2006 11:16 AM (#207262 - in reply to #207112)

Guest may have hit on something. I know that on the LOTWs, (which has buoys that are maintained by the Canadian coast guard).
All the markers that where not official buoys where removed by the Coast Guard a few years ago when the marking systems and the buoys where changed. There was a good deal of discussion with the Coast Guard about removing some of the bouys and to start with there was going to be a policy that an individual or group of folks who could "BUY A BOUY" (pay for it and the maintance involved, but that got dropped when it was ruled that the person who owned the bouy was also responible for any accidents that happened near that bouy.

I know that a good number of re-rod markers on reefs, that where put out by folks who rented house boats out of Sioux Narrows where all removed, after the new bouys where put out. I've seen lots of bouys that are put out on many Canadian lakes, but I
too have heard that if you put a bouy out and someone wants to sue you if they have an accident near the bouy they can. The reason being that the bouy doesn't follow the correct color sceme (red or green, and is not placed by the correct officials). I'd check with the correct officials (Canadian Coast Guard) to see what's really legal, and what the responsibility is.

Doug Johnson
ManitouDan
Posted 8/30/2006 11:50 AM (#207266 - in reply to #207112)

Doug --Thanks for the response , I"m pretty sure the Canadian DNR does not maintain any bouys at all on the upper/lower Manitou . I will contact them to find out what the legalities are. Ever want to fish the Manitou give me an email. MD
JohnMD
Posted 8/30/2006 12:16 PM (#207274 - in reply to #207112)

More and More Law's are written to protect the STUPID, what ever happened to common sense

cincinnati
Posted 8/30/2006 1:26 PM (#207286 - in reply to #207112)

Right on, John!

Common sense is dead. As we continually lower the bar, to be certain that no stupid is left behind, those who would normally be culled from the population, by some Darwinian circumstance, reproduce & our society becomes more stupid. It's a vicious cycle!

Anyone here actually need to read the warning labels on a gun barrel?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)