Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> The broken reel thread

Message Subject: The broken reel thread
esoxaddict
Posted 6/2/2006 10:56 AM (#194683)
Subject: The broken reel thread

It seems like there's always at least one topic up on the forum from someone experiencing reel problems.

Chuck nelson, Reelman, and some others have been very helpful with their tips and tricks, and I thought maybe it would be helpful to all involved if we had a thread dedicated to reel repair, maintenance, and general "my reel sucks" issues.

Currently I have three:

1. Diawa Millionaire CVZ300A -- anti-reverse slips, handle turns backwards. I have been too busy fishing to get in there and clean it up, so I'm not sure if its too much grease, dirty, or broken. Must hold reel handle when setting hook.

2. 6500 C4 -- every so often the spoll release just won't work -- you can't push the button down. Loosening the drag and pulling some line off with the sppol engaged seems to be the only way to get it to work

3. Shimano Cardiff -- it still works, but MAN does it makes some funny noises sometimes! Broke it down, cleaned it, re oiled it, its better, but every once in a while the spool release doesn't engage all the way. When you go to cast it sounds like the clicker is on. (reel doesn't HAVE a clicker...)

Anyone else care to add theirs?
one last cast
Posted 6/2/2006 12:30 PM (#194699 - in reply to #194683)
Subject: RE: The broken reel thread

I've got a Garcia 6500c3 that doesnt engage after the cast for about four to five reel turns. This reel seems to slip alot as well as it is a little older without instant anti reverse.

The second is another Garcia 6500 c3 except this is the anti backlash model. This reel even with the backlash system turned off seems to have an unbelieveable amount of pressure on it as even the heaviest of jerkbaits and topwaters cannot be casted too far. Kinda makes me think the ab system is stuck in on posititon.

Edited by one last cast 6/7/2006 2:15 AM
dogboy
Posted 6/2/2006 1:52 PM (#194712 - in reply to #194683)

I quit complaining about reel problems a while ago, have so many garcias with problems, cardiff making funny noises while casting. TE with no problems yet.
esoxaddict
Posted 6/5/2006 5:24 PM (#195031 - in reply to #194683)

Update on the CVZ300A

Took it apart, and here's what I found/did

There is a very thick grease between the anti reverse ratchet, the driveshaft washer, and the main drive gear.

(parts # 77,78, and 79)

http://mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/schematic.php?url=Daiwa/Daiwa...

Nothing is worn, broken, dislodged, or otherwise compromised, but there was oil/grease on about half of the drag washers. Wiped all parts clean.

Put a small amount of grease on the main drive gear, and a drop of oil on each side of the driveshaft washer.

I won't know for sure until I fish with it, but it seems to be working!

I did notice a small amount of corrosion on the main drive gear where the driveshaft washer sits.

Here's a question or two for the guys who fix these things for a living:

1. Was it a bad idea to use reel oil here (would grease have been a better option?)
2. This is obviously a problem spot on these reels -- is there something that can be done so this doesn't happen again?

C_Nelson
Posted 6/5/2006 6:33 PM (#195034 - in reply to #194683)

Sounds like you took all of the corrective measures. Dried the drag washers. Lightly greased the main gear. A drop or two of oil where you put it should be fine. As far as the corrosion, a steel brush takes that off really easy.

It may not make sense, but I take my new reels partially apart. I will take the palming side off and take the worm gear out. The cog wheel gets oiled and the worm gear gets wiped down and oiled. Doing this will make the reel do its thing without any problems.

Why do I do this? When reels are made, more grease than oil must be used. This is because if all of the parts that need lubricating would get oil, the oil would be gone by the time the consumer got them. Very light grease is used instead. Oil will do the job much better than grease in the proper places.

If your anti-reverse slips, take the handle side plate off and wipe out the anti-reverse bearings. This will usually take care of that problem.

If you would describe your C4 problem in detail as to the exact problems you are having, I can probably diagnose the problem for you. Those reels are so easy to work on there are only a few parts that may be giving you problems.

Chuck
reelman
Posted 6/5/2006 8:08 PM (#195047 - in reply to #194683)

one last cast, On you C3 that is not engaging it sounds like you need a new clutch arm and position holder #22807 and #22808. These are very easy to install youself and are carried by many dealers around the state. If you can not find the parts I would call Abu at 1-877-777-3850.

As for the anti-backlash model if I were you I would remove the entire AB system. Take the left sideplate off and pry out the pin with the little (about 3/16") gear on it. This will allow you to remove the "flapper" that is part of the AB system. Then remove the AB system from inside the left side of the reel. This should get rid of all the excesive preasure that the AB system puts on the reel. If you like to rest your thumb on the top of your reel you can order a new thumb rest from the number above, just make sure that you get one for a 6500C3 not an AB. If you do not feel comfortable doing either of these repairs you can send them back to Abu at 1900 18th Street Spirit Lake, IA. 51360 Attn: Reel Repair with a note explaining your problems and what you would like done to the reels. Include a phone number that you can be reached at if they have any questions. Odds are that if you send the reels out on a monday you will have them back in your hands by the weekend.
one last cast
Posted 6/7/2006 2:06 AM (#195254 - in reply to #194683)

Thanks Reelman for the info. I appreciate it bigtime
RiverMan
Posted 6/7/2006 11:08 AM (#195338 - in reply to #194683)

ABU 6501, constant problems! Two of them I gave up on after 3-5 repairs each. I still have one left and it is in the repair shop now because the worm gear is broken again..........3rd time.

jed v.
esoxaddict
Posted 6/7/2006 11:21 AM (#195345 - in reply to #194683)

Jed

Fish a lot of millfoil?

Flip the reel over and take a look at where the line guide travels back and forth. The buildup of weeds and junk on there causes the line guide to not travel back and forth all of the way, which in turn puts a lot of stress on the worm gear and pawl. It's a pain, but every time I fish I take a small brush and clean all that crud out of there at the end of the day. Then next time out I put a drop of oil on the worm gear, spread it around with my finger, and wipe the excess oil onto the part that the line guide travels back and forth on.

IAJustin
Posted 6/7/2006 4:19 PM (#195403 - in reply to #194683)

esoxaddict - 6/2/2006 10:56 AM

3. Shimano Cardiff -- it still works, but MAN does it makes some funny noises sometimes! Broke it down, cleaned it, re oiled it, its better, but every once in a while the spool release doesn't engage all the way. When you go to cast it sounds like the clicker is on. (reel doesn't HAVE a clicker...)

Anyone else care to add theirs?

My Cardiff 400- has same issue after a year and 20 fish - sounds very bad but still works! anyone sent one in? sounds like the gears are catching?....what model do you have?.....the 400 has a clicker

Edited by IAJustin 6/7/2006 4:19 PM
Ilovechuck
Posted 6/8/2006 1:44 PM (#195541 - in reply to #194683)

Chuck is the man!
RiverMan
Posted 6/9/2006 1:44 PM (#195662 - in reply to #194683)

Hey thanks for the advice esox, I will try that. I don't necessarily fish alot of weeds but it seems this part of the reel gathers dust/dirt no matter what I do, particularly in the middle of the winter. Thanks again.

jed v.
esoxaddict
Posted 6/12/2006 1:31 PM (#195978 - in reply to #194683)

second member of the chuck nelson fan club here

The millionaire works great now
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)