Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> GPS/Sonar unit info needed...

Message Subject: GPS/Sonar unit info needed...
Reef Hawg
Posted 4/21/2006 10:52 AM (#188290)
Subject: GPS/Sonar unit info needed...

Greetings,

I am trying to come out of the dark ages, and into the world of built in gps/sonar. I currently run an old Lowrance Global Map 100, and an Eagle Fishmark 320 for all of my fishing needs, and have been happy. When fishing a PMTT event with my cousin a couple years ago on Cass Lake, I realized how valuable his integrated gps/sonar unit was with the navionics chip for the lake we were on. Spending more time on bigger water, has me finally looking for a similar unit, though I cannot afford a similar LCX 17. I currently do not run a color unit, and don't really see the need(is there one?), and have beern looking seriously at theLMS 480. Is this a good unit? Are some of the others around the same price range any better in your opinions? Also looking at the 334(seems to be the same unit but with color??). Also, would you consider these internal GPS models, or go with the external? I have a transducer mounted already, but for Eagle only. Are there other features not listed, other than peak to peak power to make up the difference in the Lowrance and Eagles? Thanks in advance!!

Edited by Reef Hawg 4/21/2006 10:53 AM
MuskyJay
Posted 4/21/2006 2:45 PM (#188333 - in reply to #188290)
Subject: RE: GPS/Sonar unit info needed...

I would go with the Lowrance hands down. And the color is nice to have too. I would go with the external antennae for sure also so that you can mount it in the best area of your boat to get the best signal. If you are running it on the bow, you definetly want the external, because you will have the unit straight up in the air or close to it. With the unit straight up in the air the antenna is pointing to the bottom of the boat. If you have any other questions you could pm me. I also have a new 332 or 334( whichever one has the external antenna) in color, that I would sell.
tuffy1
Posted 4/21/2006 3:32 PM (#188341 - in reply to #188290)

Jason,
I just picked up a Lowrance 3600 (the internal antennae model) From what the dealer told me, if you have an open boat (ie, not a lake michigan trolling mega platform) you could use the internal, as you don't have anything to block the signal. The nice thing about the internal antennae is that you can put it in your truck if you're going on a trip and use it for maps that way.

The good thing about the external, is that you can use it for setting up the networking systems that Lowrance has. You can't do that with the internal antennae. I got the color for a little better detail, and I think (so this could be totally off since it's new to me as well) that you may be able to set up your maps to show different color detail for different contours. Some maps also show weeds, rocks etc in different colors.

That's about all the input I have at the moment since I have lots to learn yet.
H2O
Posted 4/22/2006 9:54 AM (#188409 - in reply to #188290)

Ive had a LMS 480 for two years and it has worked great. Its not color, and the screen isn't huge, but it gets the job done and is great for the price. My fishing partner is getting a GPS/Sonar this year, and after fishing with my LMS 480, is buying one.

Rob

Edited by H2O 4/22/2006 9:55 AM
Reef Hawg
Posted 4/22/2006 7:38 PM (#188454 - in reply to #188290)

Thank you!! Is the 480 compatible with Lakemaster maps, etc.? That said, when I do buy, which map cards do yuo guys prefer? Navionics, Lakemaster, etc.? I fish WI and MN, with Green Bay and LOTW included. Most time is spent in WI and Green Bay.
tuffy1
Posted 4/23/2006 6:03 AM (#188486 - in reply to #188290)

Jason, Talk to Jonesi. He'll give you the low down on the chips. I ordered the Lake Master, since I only fish Wisconsin for the most part (except for a spring jaunt to IL usually) I think the Navionics have more coverage area state wise. They cover MN, WI and a few other states. I think the Lake Master can get in closer to the contours, like a 1-3' countour spread if I remember correctly. Check out www.lakemaps.com that is the Lake Master website. You can see what chips they have and which lakes are covered on the chips. But definitely talk to Jonesi or Thornes, and they will steer you straight.
Reef Hawg
Posted 4/25/2006 10:38 PM (#188931 - in reply to #188290)

10-4 man, I'll check with them, and thank you!! I just looked at a retailer and found the LCX 20 MT for $639.00 with gps. It looks like a good deal for a color unit with a bigger screen. It only has 240/320 pixels though, which is the only draw back. I do like the prospect of the larger screen, when looking at in its mounting position in back, from up front. Anyone have one of these?
Shep
Posted 4/26/2006 11:55 AM (#189028 - in reply to #188931)

Jason,

I think for what you do, that LCX20 will be fine. I normally recommend as much vertical resolution as you can get, but for musky fishing, I don't think that is as big an issue as walleye fishing. When eye fishing, I want as much separation as possible, to see those belly to the bottom fish. When musky fishing, I want to see the bottom, weedline, and baitfish when suspended. You will see all that with the LCX20. It is a couple years old technically though, and not currently sold as a new model.

Color is nice, and the big screen is easier to see when you are up in front, moving around while casting and 8'ing.
Reef Hawg
Posted 4/26/2006 3:21 PM (#189067 - in reply to #188290)

Shep,

Thanks for the recomendation. So, is it discontinued? Not that it matters much. I am still debating on whether to get an internal or external. I think if the 20 came as an internal I'd jump on it.

Thanks and take care,

Jason
Reef Hawg
Posted 5/6/2006 2:06 PM (#190614 - in reply to #188290)

I have just heard that the lcx 20 had issues with the software. i am starting to lean towards the lcx 15 again for the price. i know it is a discontinued unit too though, but have heard people had good luck with it. I also know it isn't compliant with most of the navionics, but I just saw in my outdoor newspaper that a new chip is available for it called a navionics +. anyone ever hear fo that and know what it offers? I know that otherwise just the classic is compliant with the lcx 15 and it is a bit 'off' on most lakes from what I have heard. Don't want to ask so many questions, but want to make the right decision.
Reef Hawg
Posted 5/7/2006 7:14 AM (#190657 - in reply to #188290)

One last question here. I just found a couple lcx 110's on a website for a very attractive price. Has anyone had any experience with these? With the 10" screen, I just wonder how much battery the thing will take, and is my main concern. Right now, I only have a two bank charger, as my motor charges my starter and keeps my back locator running, only needing to be charged when I get home from a long weekend.
mskyhntr
Posted 5/7/2006 1:57 PM (#190676 - in reply to #188290)

Jason the 110c Rocks!! Plain and Simple, the screen is so big I can chip half and sonar the other and still have more viewing area than most other fish finders out there and you can split the screen to what ever you want(90/10 80/20 60/40 etc). In terms of battery power used This is my 2nd year running the 110c out back and a 334c up front both gps,both are wired the the starting battery never ever had any problems, because the boat motor with keep your starting battery charged. I only run the trolling motor on their own batteries due to interfernce problems. Jason also talked with Lowrance before I made the purchase of the 110 because I had similar ?'s he told me they don't draw as much juice as you would think,a little more butt nothing you will ever notice. as per Lowrance Customer Service
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)