Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Rule of holes: if you find yourself in one quit digging!
- (Added by: Jack Pine)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> clear coat

Message Subject: clear coat
muskihntr
Posted 4/12/2006 8:50 PM (#187174)
Subject: clear coat

hey guys im wondering how many of you guys use automotive type, 2 part clear coat for your baits??? i do bumper repairs for car dealers, if you do id use it, like to hear from you guys, i may have somthing that will help you out.
Beaver
Posted 4/12/2006 9:27 PM (#187180 - in reply to #187174)
Subject: RE: clear coat

When I do gliders, where bulk is usually a good thing, I always use E-Tex.
But when I do cranks, topwaters, twitchbaits......lures that can use less bulk but still need protection, I use House of Kolor Urethane clearcoat. It's a 3-part....resin, catalyst and reducer. It has a 1 hour pot life, which is a real bonus, and can be thinned for easy air-brushing. It also dries fast, so you can put down 2 or 3 layers with a minimum of wait time in between. In fact, they tell you to put on the second coat before the first is completely dried. It's also a must for pinstriping, so you can rough up the first coat with 800 grit wet sanding, and then pinstripe over that and put on another coat of Urethane or E-Tex....depending.
Beav
muskihntr
Posted 4/13/2006 3:33 PM (#187319 - in reply to #187174)

i have a aerosol 2 part clear coat that gives a hard body shop type finish, very fast drying very hard smooth finish. it has a pot life of 24 hours! ive experimented with it on bumpers the last 2 days and it is awesome stuff. if anyone is interested in buying any let me know and i can get some...pricing is probablly going to be 30-45 bucks a can. its not cheap but it is nice stuff and alot more user freindly than 2 part clears that you mix!
DEMolishedyou2
Posted 4/13/2006 5:19 PM (#187331 - in reply to #187180)

Do you clear coat lures for people?
If so how much would it cost?
thanx
Matt
muskihntr
Posted 4/13/2006 7:55 PM (#187350 - in reply to #187174)

no i dont. i paint all day and really have no intrest in doing it on the side at all.
h2os2t
Posted 4/14/2006 9:39 AM (#187427 - in reply to #187174)

muskihntr - Is it stuff you make or is it a new product on the market. I would be interested in checking it out, always looking for things that are better. I found a 2 part epoxy that I am going to switch to that is made for boats that is unbelievably hard and does not crack but is $150 a gallon.
muskihntr
Posted 4/15/2006 6:52 PM (#187593 - in reply to #187174)

roger it is new on the market im trying to see if i an get it direct at this point or if i have to go thru my dealer. i will let you know what i find out! i may try spraying it on a bait to see how it will hold up to hooks, water and teeth! i can tell you that it is not as thick as a epoxy, that i know for sure. i have a bait i need to do some work on ill try to give it a wirl next weekend if i can get it done in time!

Edited by muskihntr 4/15/2006 6:54 PM
h2os2t
Posted 4/16/2006 9:09 PM (#187666 - in reply to #187174)

muskihntr - I would think any of the automotive stuff that you would use would be flexable and woud take impact good. With things like bridges, rocks or bottom, not that I have done that LOL. The part I would be conserned about would be hook wear.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)