Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Emergency lure doctoring help need....

Message Subject: Emergency lure doctoring help need....
BenR
Posted 4/2/2006 7:34 PM (#185414)
Subject: Emergency lure doctoring help need....

I have a special double weighted undertaker that works unreal this time of year in one cove here in NY/NJ...today after numerous fish the clear coat started to peel. I think I can peel off the rest, what is the quickest clear coat to put on so this lure will stand a few more trips, as this bit seems to last only a few weeks on this bait....not the greatest hooking percentages...but really exciting none the less...thanks,Ben

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(P4020058.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments P4020058.JPG (149KB - 115 downloads)
MikeHulbert
Posted 4/2/2006 8:17 PM (#185420 - in reply to #185414)
Subject: RE: Emergency lure doctoring help need....

You can keep it like it is.... or put a few (4-5) coats of clear finger nail polish on it.
BenR
Posted 4/2/2006 8:22 PM (#185421 - in reply to #185414)

I hear ya Mike, but the clear coat that is peeling off is really effecting the action...Perhaps if I peel away the big pieces and nail polish it all together it will hold up...thanks,Ben
lambeau
Posted 4/2/2006 8:27 PM (#185422 - in reply to #185414)

i had that problem with a Wabull last year up on the Goon.
definitely peel away the paint that's coming off - it catches water and screws things about.
then take some sandpaper to it to smooth down the edges where it was peeling up.
Riveman
Posted 4/2/2006 10:37 PM (#185443 - in reply to #185414)

1. Peel off all the loose stuff;

2. Sand smooth the edges;

3. If you want, repaint the parts that are missing paint. You can buy some cheap water-based paints in the craft section at Wal-Mart for $1.00.

4. Buy some Devcon 2-ton at Wal-Mart (not the five minute version, make sure it's 2-ton 30 minute) for $2.00. Mix the devcon in a small dixie cup, make sure you mix well and get everything on the edges too. Don't mix on a flat surface, this will cause you to miss some and leave uncured areas on the lure. In a pinch you can use the bottom of a beer can to mix on.

5. With the hooks removed from the lure, grab one screw eye with a pair of vice grips. Paint the devcon over the entire lure in a smooth even layer with a small disposable paint brush.....if you see "pits" in the finish you are not putting it on thick enough. Now turn the lure by hand one way and then the other for about 15 minutes or until the glue quits moving. Set aside and wait until the next day...good as new.

If this is a topwater leave just one coat on it otherwise it may start to sink on you...if it's a glider go ahead and put on a second coat.

Jed V.
Bikini Bait Co.
Pete Stoltman
Posted 4/3/2006 11:51 AM (#185504 - in reply to #185414)

FWIW the TNT guys (new owners of Undertaker) are using a diffent clearcoat finish this year that they feel will eliminate the old peeling problem. They had an Undertaker at the shows that they were bouncing off cement floors and holding up remarkably well.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)