Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Chatterbait

Message Subject: Chatterbait
lambeau
Posted 3/20/2006 8:19 AM (#183275 - in reply to #183270)
Subject: RE: Chatterbait

I dont think I would worry about the actual eye on that jig opening. It would be pretty hard for a fish to get enough leverage on that part of the bait to actually twist it open.

imho, the jig eye probably won't open, but i worry about the very narrow strip of thin blade material where the jig eye runs through. it seems a bit of twisting could tear through that pretty easy?

maybe a second loop of 7strand running from the 7strand loop on the backside of the blade down through the jig eye as a backup connection?

OR, cut the jig eye and take the chatterbait blade and rig it on a jig with a bigger/stouter eye...
BALDY
Posted 3/20/2006 8:27 AM (#183276 - in reply to #183275)

lambeau - 3/20/2006 8:19 AM

I dont think I would worry about the actual eye on that jig opening. It would be pretty hard for a fish to get enough leverage on that part of the bait to actually twist it open.

imho, the jig eye probably won't open, but i worry about the very narrow strip of thin blade material where the jig eye runs through. it seems a bit of twisting could tear through that pretty easy?

maybe a second loop of 7strand running from the 7strand loop on the backside of the blade down through the jig eye as a backup connection?

OR, cut the jig eye and take the chatterbait blade and rig it on a jig with a bigger/stouter eye...

the first pic in my post shows exactly what you are talking about. that piece of sevenstrand is connecting the jig eye to the piece of sevestrand that I put in place of the snap. So if they thin piece holding the jig breaks, I still have a connection to the bait with the leader material. Kind of hard to see in the pic, but it's there.
tuffy1
Posted 3/20/2006 10:09 AM (#183291 - in reply to #182922)

I might be loosing this in the pictures, but Baldy, you definitely have something here. What if you took the seven strand, and ran it from the jig eye all the way through, and use it for the snap instead of using 2 pieces of seven strand connected together. Or you could take Gerards idea, and run the seven strand from the eye to the portion of the solid wire that runs through the lip. Just a few observations. Let me know when you guys come up with something perfect. so I can pick some up. lol
BALDY
Posted 3/20/2006 10:47 AM (#183294 - in reply to #183291)

tuffy1 - 3/20/2006 10:09 AM

I might be loosing this in the pictures, but Baldy, you definitely have something here. What if you took the seven strand, and ran it from the jig eye all the way through, and use it for the snap instead of using 2 pieces of seven strand connected together. Or you could take Gerards idea, and run the seven strand from the eye to the portion of the solid wire that runs through the lip. Just a few observations. Let me know when you guys come up with something perfect. so I can pick some up. lol

Joel,

That was the first thing that I tried, but I just felt that the pull wouldnt be on the right part of the bait to keep the original action. I tried about 3 different things, and this was the one that seemed to be the closest to what the was originally. You dont want any force transferring through the blade to the jig head...you will lose alot of the action on the bait.

I actually do have a piece of sevenstrand in place of the snap. You can see that in the second picture. I took a short piece and crimped it on both ends. A solid ring on one end and the other end goes through both holes of the lip...where the snap used to be. Then I made a sevenstrand loop and connected the jig eye to the first piece of sevenstrand where it comes through on the back of the blade. This loop basically just hangs there. The only time it will ever see any force is if the blade breaks away from the jig eye...it is just there for security.

The problem I see with Gerard's method is that the solid wire may pull right through the hole in the lip. I see that as a problem because that wire is only through one hole instead of looped through both. The lip material is not very stiff and the sharp tag end of the wire may help to penetrate that hole. Another piece of sevenstrand like I added will help, but I still like to get the wire through both holes that are there. Adds to the durability, I think.

Mine is definitely not perfect, but I think it will greatly add to the durability and security of the bait without losing much, if any, of the original action.
MUSKEEZ
Posted 3/20/2006 3:54 PM (#183333 - in reply to #182922)

some great ideas, that's for sure. One question, when this thing goes through the water are the jig hooks pointing down or up?
.fish.
Posted 3/20/2006 4:00 PM (#183335 - in reply to #182922)

Up.
muskyme
Posted 3/20/2006 6:23 PM (#183362 - in reply to #182922)

I got three of them from Thornes today...I love the way they look....I've seen the video of a bass version of the bait...If the chatterbait has the same action this should be a great bait...BUT...Why in the world would you have such a flimsy design for a musky bait...I know bait companies need to make money, but I would be very willing to ante up a few more bucks for solid construction...I'll give these mods a try...I love MI baits....They need to beef this bait up...Someone else will jump in with a more solid design...I guess thats how the market works...
Slamr
Posted 3/20/2006 6:44 PM (#183364 - in reply to #182922)

I think all your questions are answered here:

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/articles/03.20.2006/1026/Musky.Inno...
lambeau
Posted 3/31/2006 5:35 PM (#185207 - in reply to #182922)

rigged my "safety chain" on my Chatterbait today.
just a short piece of 40lb sevenstrand as a backup if the blade rips.
i also replaced the snap with one i know won't break or open up.

easy, cheap, effective.
thanks for all the tips, guys!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Chatterbait 002.jpg)

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Chatterbait 003.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Chatterbait 002.jpg (69KB - 693 downloads)
Attachments Chatterbait 003.jpg (54KB - 194 downloads)
BALDY
Posted 4/3/2006 10:42 AM (#185490 - in reply to #182922)

Mike -

You have your snap in backwards...unless you planned it that way.
lambeau
Posted 4/3/2006 11:54 AM (#185507 - in reply to #182922)

i did plan it that way, though not with a whole ton of thought i suppose.
i preferred attaching the 7strand to the closed loop on the back end of the snap.
it also keeps the ends behind the blade...maybe less to catch weeds etc?
i haven't run it yet, but i don't think it'll effect the action...i'll let you know how it runs.
muskyboy
Posted 4/7/2006 2:11 PM (#186227 - in reply to #182922)

Seems like a great bait, after modifying with some Bucher #7 Split Rings it is musky ready
The Yeti
Posted 4/7/2006 4:12 PM (#186252 - in reply to #182922)

i threw mine with gregg thomas last week....ran fine. my mod works for me fellas.

i know some things are not better left to chance, so i just did what i thought was a little beefier.

good luck this year guys!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)