Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Practicing the hook set

Message Subject: Practicing the hook set
musky_grrr
Posted 12/6/2005 1:26 PM (#167794)
Subject: Practicing the hook set

Now that the lakes around me are iced up, I'm thinking about next year and things I must improve upon to catch the muskie that has alluded me all this past season.

One of the areas I seem to lose a lot of fish is on the hook set. Is there any way to practice this?
sworrall
Posted 12/6/2005 9:47 PM (#167857 - in reply to #167794)
Subject: RE: Practicing the hook set

Actually, yes. Tie the line off to a 2 gallon pail handle, fill the pail with water, and walk back a half a casting distance or more. Use your wrist to set the hook, not sweep of the arms. Load up that rod blank with a POP of a hookset using your wrist. When you can pop that pail off the ground full (not pulling it over with the rod, that's no fair) you have it.

If the neighbors look at you funny, just tell them your are checking the specific gravity of a 2 gallon ice cream pail, very important. Makes no sense, but they will decide you are nutz and leave you alone.
muskynightmare
Posted 12/6/2005 11:58 PM (#167865 - in reply to #167794)

Nice, Steve, nice. LOL. My neighbors still do not know what a musky really is, no matter how I try to educate them. I'm thinking it's time to move North (or Nort, LOL)!
muskie! nut
Posted 12/7/2005 6:51 AM (#167871 - in reply to #167794)

musky_grrr one of the best ways you can improve that hook set is by having your rod in your dominate hand. Sworrall is left handed and this makes using a standard "right-handed" reel a plus for him.

To this day I can't understand why right handed folks would NOT use a reel with the crank on the left side. I have asked and other than preferance, nobody can give me an advantage of switching hands while casting. I wonder how many of you switch hands while using a spinnng reel?
stephendawg
Posted 12/7/2005 7:17 AM (#167874 - in reply to #167794)

More importantly, Sworrall uses a left-handed pail! VERY IMPORTANT WHEN PRACTICING!
I'm right-handed but I find I have more strength for the heavy work with my left arm. I feel it's probably due to the fact that my right arm/hand does the brunt of a lifetime's work and is plain tired. The left arm is fresher. Just a thought....
dogboy
Posted 12/7/2005 7:30 AM (#167877 - in reply to #167794)

I have always wondered WHY things are goofy with a baitcaster vs. a spinning reel. I too make the old switcharoo when casting but think it makes sense as far as not getting the eagle claw grip going. you give your hand a break everytime you switch to cast. It has become so rythmic with my casting I don't even notice when I do it.

I still don't know what is better for which way to set the hook. I have lost a lot of fish trying both to the side, keep it low, I don't realy like the overhead approach, but it seems no matter what some fish aren't meant to be hooked. I have caught fish before without ever really "setting the hook" go figure!

The main thing I think is important in the whole hook setting thing is TIMING! I know for a fact I used to jump the gun a lot at the first tick of the hit or see them coming mouth wide open. Its just like the topwater scheme, waiting until you feel the weight. It took me a looonnnnggg time to get that down but once I was trained to hold the fire, I didn't miss topwater fish...period....

Sharp hooks, stay focused, hit'em hard.

MUSKY GRR- you could set up for some rabbits in you back yard, for a little lively action
Steve Van Lieshout
Posted 12/7/2005 8:43 AM (#167894 - in reply to #167794)

Your hook set can be greatly improved if you use, "Dr. Worrall's Metric Hookset Elixer and Ice Cream Bucket Volume Filler" for your buckets. He only is charging $16.95/CentiLitre, not including shipping.
I've heard that they have been using it in Europe for years. Just think about, have you ever heard about someone from Switzerland missing a hook set on a muskie? I don't think so!
I rest my case!!!
sworrall
Posted 12/7/2005 11:49 AM (#167933 - in reply to #167894)

SVL,
You have a point. I'm not sure what it is, though.

Seriouly, a powerful hookset isn't generated by the angler's strength, it's generated by the energy transfer in the rod blank through the line. A 95 pound lady can set the hook nearly as effectively as a 240# halfback if the rods energy is the focus.

One's wrist flexes upward when holding the rod thumb-up. The hookset is IN that wrist, not your arms. If you move your arms away from your body and up, you actually are changing the hookset 'fulcrum', and not applying any pressure on the hook at all. A tight line and quick 'pop' of the wrist, and all that energy in the rod is transferred to the fish's face.

The shortest distance between two points is a straight line. If one has the line tight and pops the rod tip straight up, almost all of that motion sets steel. Moving the rod handle to the side, upward, or any direction at all wastes energy. Shag Shahid taught me this a very long time ago.
mreiter
Posted 12/7/2005 12:07 PM (#167940 - in reply to #167794)

"Seriouly, a powerful hookset isn't generatted by the angler's strength, it's generated by the energy transfer in the rod blank through the line. A 95 pound lady can set the hook neraly as effectively as a 240# halfback if the rods energy is the focus."

Being the vertically challenged individual that I am, I agree 100% with Steve. I think the rod has as much to do with it as anything. If your rod does not fit you or "Give" you a good hookup you may need to try another length or stiffness. Let the rod do the work for you. You can also become more aware of boat position and how you are standing in the boat to increase your chances of a good hookup. Being twisted the wrong way or off balance one way or another will always result in a missed fish.

Stumblin over your feet in the middle of the driveway while yanking your pail will surely give you a nice quiet evening at home Have fun!!!!

MR
Steve Van Lieshout
Posted 12/7/2005 4:12 PM (#167966 - in reply to #167794)

Mr. Worrall, I was trying to get a couple of extra dollars for you for Christmas........for my present.
EsoxRookie
Posted 12/7/2005 9:52 PM (#168030 - in reply to #167794)

This might sound wierd, but one of the things I've used to practice my fishing mechanics is visualization.

Once you are confident that you have the mechanics correct and have practiced them with the pail trick, just picture yourself over and over in your mind performing a perfect hookset on a fish while standing in your boat. I do this during idle time at work, during commercials, daydreaming about fishing, etc. etc. etc. When I got out on the boat this year, it almost became automatic. Do it for the figure-eight, too.

I got the idea from reading about golfers that do this to improve their swings.

Maybe I should post this under the "You know you've been fishing muskies to much lately when...." thread.
ckarren
Posted 12/8/2005 1:24 PM (#168104 - in reply to #167794)

When I think I’m missing most of my muskies on the hook set is timing. After working my jerk bait for hours and all sudden you have a hit.

Try this. Get 2 pop bottles, 2 eyehooks, 4 nuts and 4 washers.

Drill out the caps of the bottles for the eye hooks. Put on a nut and a washer on the eyehook then through the hole in the cap. Now if you want you can use RTV or Silicone then add the last washer and nut and tighten. Fill one bottle full and one about the weight of your favored lure. Run the line through the eyehook of the full bottle and tie it to the other.

Now take the bottles and drop them off, the full bottle some where in the middle. Now shut your eyes and work your lure back and feel for the bite. Set the hook when you feel the second bottle. Doing this you can do many things to help work on problems.

One big problem that many people have is jerking the bait from the fish using top water lures. Setup the bottles and close your eyes and think you have a 50”er behind your bait. Or if your fishing WI you have a 40”er “lol” just kidding. As you work the bottle concentrate on reeling at the same speed. Now when you get in the boat and you are put in this situation. You will be ready, just think back to the pop bottles and feel the bite and set-hooks.

I hope this helps

-Corey
Beaver
Posted 12/8/2005 3:58 PM (#168126 - in reply to #167794)

I tried a left handed reel once. I held the reel handle still and moved the rod handle in a circular motion. So much for that test.
I never think about setting the hook. I'm one of those guys who sets across his body, and I just react with as much rod tip speed as I can generate. If you're standing in the same boat with me, you better have good footing. I don't have strong enough wrists to set the hook that way, except for jig fishing, then I snap straight up by bringing both of my hands up to my chest.
Ask Sworrall. I've been known to stretch fish and extra inch or two just by setting the hook.
I do use a pail full of sand for testing my drags though. If I pull slowly, standing 10-15' away, I like to get a feel for how the drag is set. If I set the hook with a pail full of sand, I better be practicing on an icy sidewalk, because there will be a mess to clean up.
Beav
sworrall
Posted 12/9/2005 7:23 AM (#168204 - in reply to #168126)

Beav definitley rocks the boat with a hookset!

Shag Shahid taught me more about hookset and fishing rod dynamics than I could believe. He was very open with that sort of thing when he was touring as a Professional trick caster, Pro angler, and seminar presenter. Do a Google search on him, he was fascinating to watch.
RiverMan
Posted 12/9/2005 7:32 PM (#168281 - in reply to #167794)

I would suggest you learn how to set the hook by spending time on the water. If you can't catch enough musky to get the practice you need then fish for other species part of the time......bass, cats, stripers, steelies, salmon, walleye, whatever. When I get a bite on a lure or bait I set the hook big time. When you come back on the rod you should feel the hook make connection. The only time this approach has gotten me into trouble was when I was using 6# tippet for chum salmon.....kept snapping em off!!

Jed V.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)