Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Suick Techniques

Message Subject: Suick Techniques
MuskyHopeful
Posted 3/24/2010 8:29 PM (#430882 - in reply to #163244)
Subject: RE: Suick Techniques

On one of my first ever times musky fishing Mike Koepp was trying to tell me how to work a Suick. He took the rod to show me how to do it and promptly caught a fish. I could backlash the hell out the unweighted versions. He also once made a cast with my Topraider to show me how to figure eight it. He promptly caught a fish.

If a guide catches a fish on the client's equipment, who gets to count it?

I've seen Norm and Joel work Suicks. They seemed to have it down. I've seen Slamr work a Suick. He works one with a little more anger.

I wasn't very good with a Suick. Or casting anything for that matter.

Kevin
Top H2O
Posted 3/24/2010 8:35 PM (#430885 - in reply to #430882)

Hopeful, Those guys from Chitown always work their lures with more Anger than us nicer guys that live farther north .

Jerome

MuskyHopeful
Posted 3/24/2010 8:38 PM (#430886 - in reply to #430885)

Top H2O - 3/24/2010 8:35 PM

Hopeful, Those guys from Chitown always work their lures with more Anger than us nicer guys that live farther north .

Jerome

It's all that big city hustle-bustle they have to deal with, I guess. Makes 'em edgy. He really yanks a crankbait, too. Can I say yanks a crankbait on this site?

Kevin
Top H2O
Posted 3/24/2010 10:02 PM (#430898 - in reply to #430886)

Sarcasom ! (SP)

Edited by Top H2O 3/24/2010 10:10 PM
GetLunged
Posted 3/24/2010 10:59 PM (#430905 - in reply to #163244)
Subject: Re: Suick Techniques

I'm sure it's all been said but play with the tail and love the pause more than you might at first. Try to find the old school ones, just a hint. Don't cast it against the wind. Don't call it a "swick" like my new city friends I met down here. An old musky guru who I actually found out about while doing a job back home, actually gets some rattle in them. Some of the most action with our suicks come on our "tooth mark" patterns that don't even have a definable color anymore!
Netman
Posted 3/25/2010 6:00 AM (#430920 - in reply to #163244)

Kevin,
I guess you can say "Yanks a crank" if everyone else is talking about "long or short pulls" and a "good jerk". I forgot to add about the tunning of the tail, I'll bend one side of the metal fin down a little more than the other, this gives the lure a short twist and can aid in the action on the retrieve.
Open Water on Pewaukee.....I hear that the pier and lift are going in this Saturday........

Bruce
dougj
Posted 3/26/2010 4:14 PM (#431241 - in reply to #163244)

Just another vote for Suicks. Caught two fish on one today!

Doug Johnson

steve scepaniak
Posted 3/29/2010 12:05 AM (#431643 - in reply to #163244)

Hi
Instead of casting out your Suick and retrieving right away try this tip.
A great technique for us over the years is to cast out the Suick and let it sit till all the ripples are gone. This gives any muskie in the area a chance to move in and check it out. Give a short jerk of a foot or two and let it sit again for about 3 to 5 seconds and start your retrieve as usual and hang on.
This technique has helped us boat HUNDREDS of muskies and big pike over the years for my guide service. And yes all my Suicks are modified. I had Clark A.
( who contributes often here )and his buddy trying to modify theirs on my boat after our third muskie caught in less than 1 hour on a modified suick.
As far as working it. I work my Suicks like a spastic dancer from the 80"s nice and fast and retrieve your slack on a tight line.
Just another way to work a GREAT lure.

Steve Scepaniak
www.predatorguideservice.com
esox911
Posted 3/29/2010 8:51 AM (#431658 - in reply to #163244)

I love fishing SUICKs -- I think it is my favorite bait --Lots of great info here and I will also say--don't over worj them--9's and 10's work differently--so do the weighted and un weighted models--you will have to experiment to see what works for your conditions fished---As far as any tips--I drill a small hole in the center tip of the tail and use a split ring attached to a swivel and add a small spinner---just gives a little more flash and something different---???? can't really say that it has caught me more fish but I do it to all the one's that I use so I guess I will never know---Good Luck learning the techniques of your new bait---I bet it becomes 1 of your favorites--there is a reason they have been around basically unchanged for all these years--A TRUE MUSKY CLASSIC
Steve Scepaniak
Posted 3/29/2010 11:52 AM (#431695 - in reply to #163244)

Hi
Love the last post on putting the spinner blade on the tail of the Suick.
That is the exact modification we have been doing for close to 30 years.

I featured that tip in an episode of our television show OUTDOOR LOGIC.
Field And Stream magazine also featured my modified Suick in their last April spring issue along with the Salmo Whitefish.

Here is another Suick modification that has worked.
Trace out mylar tape around the tail. Cut to form and tape on. The added flash is unreal.

Take care and good luck.
Steve Scepaniak
www.predatorguideservice.com
Makintrax73
Posted 3/30/2010 2:18 PM (#431952 - in reply to #430920)

Netman - 3/25/2010 6:00 AM
I forgot to add about the tunning of the tail, I'll bend one side of the metal fin down a little more than the other, this gives the lure a short twist and can aid in the action on the retrieve.

I caught my 1st musky last summer with guide Brian Long (a great guide BTW!), and he gave me a great lesson on suicks. He bent the line tie and the tail and changed things around a little and then got it working the way he liked it. He showed me how it was working in the water with just exactly the kind of belly roll on the pull you are talking about. FWIW the line tie is bent to the left, and the tail is at a very shallow angle with the right tip being bent down a little bit extra (all as you look at the lure).
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)