Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> WRMA Report on Louis Spray Fish

Message Subject: WRMA Report on Louis Spray Fish
Mike Norris
Posted 10/20/2005 2:19 PM (#163031)
Subject: WRMA Report on Louis Spray Fish

Rich Delaney from the WRMA and Larry Ramsell from the FWFHH will be guests on my radio show at 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. today. The show can be live streamed by going to http://www.radioshoppingshow.com/wbig/index.htm

The radio show will be available for listening on my website after 5 p.m. this afternoon at www.mikenorrisoutdoors.com
lynn
Posted 12/7/2005 11:45 AM (#167931 - in reply to #163031)
Subject: RE: WRMA Report on Louis Spray Fish

Why challenge an old record unless you have a personal agenda to do so. My family has visited the Hayward fish museum several times on our way through town to see this record musky. If it can bring in tourists to the area, such as ourselves, then that is a good thing. If it opens one's eyes to the thrill of fishing, then that, too, is a good thing. I, personally, would be disappointed to learn of a change at this point in time. I wouldn't bother to go back, should that happen. Quite frankly, I would wonder about all the records posted in Wisconsin if this record is taken away. The fact that it is possibly a hoax, makes it all the more desirable to see. I wish I had known Louey, he must have been quite the character!
IGotTheFeverBIG
Posted 1/2/2006 11:20 AM (#170478 - in reply to #163031)

I posted over on Musky Hunter on this issue. I think the FWFHF is close to making a decision. I just hope they don't do something foolish, like retain any of Spray's records. Or Johnson's for that matter.

I think that the old records favor dishonesty over real accomplishment. Not something you want to teach newcomers, especially kids.

It is particularly bad for Wisconsin, which mistakenly believes that record is some sort of Ad or Promotion that brings angler's to the Area.

I've found it quite the opposite. And removing that record and all the other old ones is the first step towards fixing the problem.

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(louis-sprayx2.jpg)

(louis-sprayf1.jpg)

(How Long1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments louis-sprayx2.jpg (133KB - 227 downloads)
Attachments louis-sprayf1.jpg (124KB - 203 downloads)
Attachments How Long1.jpg (123KB - 266 downloads)
ToddM
Posted 1/2/2006 11:09 PM (#170565 - in reply to #163031)

Lynn, why keep a false record(s) is you don't have an agenda?
StanS
Posted 1/7/2006 7:37 PM (#171206 - in reply to #170478)

I find your measurements interesting and confusing. When I scroll your image with the two vertical lines to the top of the window I find that the top of the line corresponding to Spray's height extends above his head by several inches. It almost aligns with the top of the hat. The lower end of the same line extends past where I would place the bottom of his right foot by an additional increment (side closest to the fish). Meanwhile, the line representing the fish's length is below the top of the jaw and above the lowest point on the tail. It seems that these corrections to your measurements would indicate that the fish is longer than the length you computed by several inches.

I am also confused about your measurements from the second photo. Are you implying that the fish is 15 inches from Spray's body? My observation is that the fish is 3 inches or less from his body. His left elbow is tucked into his side and his forearm appears to be parallel to his body. If his forearm is in fact 12.5 inches, it is physically impossible for the fish to be 15 inches from his body (unless this is the result of the application of a new version of perspective geometry that I am unfamiliar with).

VMS Steve
Posted 1/7/2006 10:37 PM (#171230 - in reply to #163031)

Not that I carry any interest in this, but his lines are right on. When I do the same procedure on my computer, the lines match. When I printed them, I put them on a drafting table, lined everything up and they are dead on.

If you look at his body, it is angled just a bit (look at his feet).

He's got a very good argument.

IGotTheFeverBIG
Posted 1/20/2006 3:35 AM (#173010 - in reply to #171206)

Hey, i must've missed this one...sorry StanS...

You must measure the distance between objects SURFACES in relation to the camera...I should have clarified that...

YES the SURFACE of the muskie is indeed a good 15 inches from the SURFACE of SPRAY that reflects light to the camera lens. Let's say the plane his abdomen is on. He is pushing the Muskie farther out for WHATEVER reason, as his forearm is not perfectly perpendicular to the camera lens, but that works in his favor. Makes the 12.5 inch measuring stick smaller so that more can be squeezed into the length of the fish. It also moves the fish slightly closer to the camera making it appear bigger.

The SURFACE of the MUSKIE is at least 3 inches from the SURFACE of his forearm. Maybe more.

Looking back on things, and seeing how much leeway i gave Spray in doing my measurements...who in the heck has a forearm bone 12.5 inches long at 6'?...I think this muskie is even smaller...maybe a 50 incher. Maybe.

The story behind this guy is better than the Lufthansa Heist...
Don Pfeiffer
Posted 6/17/2006 10:31 PM (#196791 - in reply to #170478)

No no no, look at how his arm is pressed to body wrinkles his shirt badl so his arm is not extended out pushing the fish closer.
IGotTheFeverBIG
Posted 6/18/2006 11:37 PM (#196905 - in reply to #196791)

SILENCE from YOU Pfeiffer...and AVERT YOUR GAZE WHEN I WRITE TO YOU.

Give it up, Don. It's over. Wait'll you see ALL the new goodies i have on Spray...Including a NEVER BEFORE SEEN PHOTO...that's right, a 3RD photo of Ol' Chin-Whiskers in all of his glory...in front of that SAME building...all 49.155 inches of him...

There is absolutely no doubt he is pushing the fish OUT AWAY FROM HIM TO MAKE IT APPEAR BIGGER.

Probably...with a stick.

Lou Spray was a liar and a cheat, by all accounts he was an OAF of a fisherman, and NEVER caught a Muskie that approached even 30 pounds. His buddy Alton Van Camp who fished with him for YEARS caught some decent fish...but in every photo with them together, Louie is holding the smaller fish...heh heh...Spray was a LAME.

Here is a letter written to him from a "friend" in 1939...Louie must've gotten drunk and spilled the beans, eh? What do YOU think, Don? Got that letter in the FWFHF files.

I've got some really good stuff on Lou...ALL NEW...you're gonna love it!!

Well...not YOU, obviously...just every other muskie angler in the world...

"Louie was a SHYSTER"..."- Alvin van camp, Alton's SON

"...Louie and Alton were in the Garage with a big Muskie, and all of these nuts and bolts disappeared..." - Eva Van Camp, Alton's WIFE

"Well, I've heard in the past...Go below the Chippewa Dam, throw a few sticks of Dynamite in, and get yourself a record Muskie"
"Did they do that?"
"I would imagine its been done"-Neil Koshak, Alton's NEPHEW

BTW, Don...do you know who WIDMER SMITH is?...;)

Scott Hayes.

Edited by IGotTheFeverBIG 6/19/2006 4:16 AM

(1939letter.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 1939letter.jpg (86KB - 265 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)