Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> "T"ing Hooks

Message Subject: "T"ing Hooks
Thundr
Posted 4/23/2005 3:58 PM (#144247)
Subject: "T"ing Hooks

Can someone please post a photo or explain in detail exactly what this is. I have seen several posts on this topic but yet still have no clue what it is and what you are trying to achieve by doing this.

Thanks for the help
Shane Mason
Posted 4/23/2005 5:01 PM (#144253 - in reply to #144247)
Subject: RE: "T"ing Hooks

T-ing is bending 2 of the trebles so that they would lay flat, bend them so that if you set it on a table 2 of the trebles lay flat and even, hense the "T". On certain lures this helps in getting the hooks out past the body to increase in hooking %, and also saves from having hook gouges on your lures.
chico
Posted 4/23/2005 5:02 PM (#144254 - in reply to #144247)

If you look from the base of a treble hook you will see that the 3 hooks form a "Y" with each hook being 120 degrees from each other, to "T" the hook simply bend down the two hooks that are not the brazed leg with pliers and form a "T". This does a couple of things, it stops a lot of hook rubbing on the bait and it can help with hook ups as the body of the baits doesn't shield the hook poiunts as much, it incidentaly stops any hook bonnets fitting the treble! Doesn't work for all lures but helps on many. Do not bend the third loose hook on the treble, being brazed/welded on it is the weakest link and bending it will not to it any favors. Hope this has helped
chico
Posted 4/23/2005 5:03 PM (#144255 - in reply to #144247)

beaten to it!
Beaver
Posted 4/24/2005 8:57 AM (#144280 - in reply to #144255)

T them so the hook eye runs in the same direction as the hook eye, or one side will still rub.
Beav

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(T-Hook.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments T-Hook.jpg (9KB - 252 downloads)
lobi
Posted 4/24/2005 9:16 AM (#144282 - in reply to #144247)

As mentioned before you also might Texas Longhorn the "T'd" hook. The two parallel hooks can get an extra bend to point the hook point downward a bit in addition to out flat from the bottom of the bait. This does not mean bend them past flat (180 degrees), it means bending at the hook-bendso the point is now slightly facing down.

Another good method to save hook rub (wear) on trolling lures after "T"ing them is to add a small piece of plastic tubing to the hook shank before putting the split ring back on the hook. This will keep the hook further "south" of the lure body. I troll a lot of wood body baits at high speeds for long ways and they can really take a beating.
The Handyman
Posted 4/24/2005 6:40 PM (#144325 - in reply to #144247)

In my personal opinion,the T`ed hook is a waste of a good hook, and I feel it looses some of its hooking coverage/percentage! I use my musky baits and the last thing I worry about is some rub marks. I have been through this with many very,very great sticks and SOME well-known guides and I didnt see them bending their hooks either. Just watch in clearwateronce or better yet go under with a mask and have your partner run a bait over you and you will see how tight/flat those hooks run to the body of the bait. If I feel that I am not getting enough hook coverage on said bait, I just upsize not bend! I known some feel its better, but really the only thing it does is keep your bait looking pretty, those hook marks are from one treble rubbing with 2 exposed, and T`ed 2 ride flat on the body with 1 exposed. I choose to up my odds with every little trick I can!
muskyboy
Posted 4/24/2005 9:20 PM (#144340 - in reply to #144247)

Only T on baits where the barbs aren't exposed from the body of the lure sufficiently, for example the front and middle hooks of Suicks. Otherwise I agree with Handyman, it is not necessary in general.
muskyboy
Posted 4/24/2005 9:21 PM (#144341 - in reply to #144247)

Only T on baits where the barbs aren't exposed from the body of the lure sufficiently, for example the front and middle hooks of Suicks. Otherwise I agree with Handyman, it is not necessary in general.
muskyboy
Posted 4/24/2005 9:22 PM (#144343 - in reply to #144247)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)