Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> LOTWs problems

Message Subject: LOTWs problems
KSauers
Posted 4/14/2005 6:40 PM (#143187 - in reply to #143051)
Subject: RE: LOTWs problems

You stated that they were netting on the Winnipeg also. How far north do they go? All the way to Minaki? They just lowered our limit to 2 walleyes there.
EsoXterra
Posted 4/14/2005 6:58 PM (#143190 - in reply to #143051)

Yes they net the Winnipeg River also, and what do you expect the OMNR to do? They don't have the balls to enforce the netting violations, so they go after sport fisherman and reduce their limits in a futile effort to delay the inevitable.
dougj
Posted 4/14/2005 9:01 PM (#143204 - in reply to #143166)

The old time commercial fishermen on the Minnesota side used to fish under the ice and it's
not that hard to do. They used to call the board a "Jigger" board. This is a flat board that has a spring
loaded lever in the center. On the end of this lever is a sharp point that catches on the underside on the ice.

You cut a couple of holes in the ice and put the "Jigger" board in one of them. You tie a rope to the lever, and
by pulling on the rope the spring loads, when you repease the rope the board moves along under the ice.
You do this till you hit the other hole (slightly more complicated that this, but this is the general idea). You now a
rope between the two holes. You tie your gill net onto the rope and pull it out to set it.

Except for the cold temperatures winter time gill netting is probably easier than summer time and you never have to
battle high winds, and are standing on solid ice to do your work. Because the water temperature are cold the nets
don't have to be lifted as often. The natives are apprently quite proficient at this.

Hope that helps explain how fish are netted during the time that the lake is froze.

Doug Johnson
BRAINSX
Posted 4/14/2005 11:49 PM (#143221 - in reply to #143051)

KUDOS TO DJ FOR EXPOSING THIS MOST CONCERNING PROBLEM FOR THE WORLD'S GREATEST MUSKIE FISHERY! IT IS SO SAD THAT THE CANADIAN GOVERNMENT DOES NOT REGULATE THIS ACT OF FISHING TERRORISM BUT INSTEAD TERRORIZES US WELL INTENTIONED MUSKIE FISHERMAN ON A REGULAR BASIS. GO DOUG!!! IT WILL TAKE THE MIGHT OF THE ENTIRE SPORTFISHING INDUSTRY TO FIGHT THIS AND WHAT A BETTER PLACE TO START THAN WITHIN THE MOST CONSERVATION MINDED SEGMENT, MUSKIE FISHERMEN! A COMMITTEE SHOULD BE DEVELOPED, A PLAN OF ATTACK ESTABLISHED, FUNDING RAISED, AND ACTION UNDERTAKEN IN AN ORGANIZED AND PROFESSIONAL MANNER. LETS GO GUYS!!!

JK "DOC"
FishMan
Posted 4/15/2005 7:33 AM (#143236 - in reply to #143051)

I may be able to help clear up where some of these fish are going,Most of the fish ,and I mean 95% are going to of all places CHINA.this winter I was unable to puchase perch for the resteraunts that I service for the first time in about 15 years.ussually from jan to the beginning of march,perch and some walleye fillet come from the Lotw,until the local fisheries start up.This year we were told that the processors had contracts overseas,(ie) the pac ific rim.for these fish,and there would be very little for US consumption,with the weak dollar and the growing demand overseas the prducers were getting top dollar {yen} elsewhere,for as much as they could provide.The only recourse I can see in this is a quota reduction,or as in some states make them trap net the fish,where unwanted species and undersized fish can be realeased live.Gill nets are definetly killing machienes,and i have seen first hand what they will do to a fishery,.Cooperation between the commercial fishery and sportsman would be a great thing because it is in both parties interest to maintain a viable fishery.maintain jobs,and the tourist industry is in everyone interest,unfortuneatly our voices in the states are secondary to the canadian public ,lodge owners,guide ass...that is who must address this problem..ARTIE
waldo
Posted 4/15/2005 10:29 AM (#143262 - in reply to #143051)

Here's one more reason to stop eating walleyes in restaurants:

http://www.channel3000.com/news/4382852/detail.html

-d
pbrostuen
Posted 4/15/2005 10:39 AM (#143265 - in reply to #143051)

Gord & Doug,

From reading the thread on the MH board I noticed that you are working on getting a website up and running to inform folks about what is going on. If you are still having problems I would be willing to build and host the site for you, free of charge. I'll even obtain a domain name of your choosing. Also, my girlfriend is a graphic designer who has some experience making webpages look 'good'. All you would have to provide is the content. If you're interested let me know and I'll shoot you my email. Thanks.
Will Dykstra
Posted 4/15/2005 12:11 PM (#143279 - in reply to #143051)

Hey Guys,
First off, as Doug Stated cutting nets is a bad idea. I have thought about it too, but it would only make the situation worse. Email David Ramsay , the Head of the OMNR, I think that by us publicizing this as much as possible and keeping it a hot topic will help. I am in the process of getting a website set up against this. Gord Pusnik had one up previously but was not able to keep it up. I am currently working with him to do get it back up. I have brought this issue up with Muskies Inc. and we will possibly have the funding to do so. In doing this we will need help, and most likely I will try to set up a formal email link that allows us to email people of stature who may actually have a say in this. I spoke with Al Smith ( a local camp owner in Kenora and friend of mine) and he wants to try to push for complete elimination of the gill nets and use LOTW as a testing site for Box traps, which will A) not drift away B) and also allow those who are using them to have an have education this matter to those who are using the box traps. This is just an idea that I know makes much more sense than the "over-indulging" gill nets. So when the website is up and running I will post the URL on all the fishing message boards. Getting the support of local tourist groups and also fishing clubs will without a doubt help this issue. Muskies Inc. could have a large impact on this along with walleye clubs and even bass clubs. If any of you want to contact me with anything you feel may help please do. David Ramsays email address for those who want it is [email protected] ,again he is the head of the Ontario MNR and may be able to do something about this horrible issue.

Will Dykstra
[email protected]
Colorado Chapter of Muskies Inc.
Moose Lures Pro staff
Grass
Posted 4/15/2005 1:00 PM (#143289 - in reply to #143051)

One thing I thought of last night was that between Doug and Gord you could get an article printed in Esox Angler or Musky Hunter or other fishing mags showing how the resource is being exploited. This would draw alot of attention to the issue and could go a long way to helping the cause.

Grass,
bootlips
Posted 4/15/2005 4:18 PM (#143313 - in reply to #143182)

those who don't study history are doomed to repeat the mistakes of the past.
FishMan
Posted 4/16/2005 7:13 AM (#143334 - in reply to #143313)

Box trap nets are the trap nets i refered to in my post ,they are used excusivly in lake erie,mostly the western basin . The only obsticle I see to switch these fisherman over to them is ,they are expensive to get set up and require some knowlege to use properly.otherwise they will catch nothing Artie
Will Dykstra
Posted 4/17/2005 12:44 AM (#143394 - in reply to #143051)

Hey all,
Phil was able to come up with a website as far as I know, I have given him some information for the site and hope to get it up and running here within the next week or so. We should all be grateful for everyone stepping up in this situation, SO keep it coming guys, we need all we can get. The URL is probably going to be www.lotwrestoration.com . Hopefully it all pans out the way we hope and we can get a voice in this matter.
Will Dykstra
Colorado Chapter of Muskies inc.
Moose Lures Pro Staff
sworrall
Posted 4/17/2005 11:38 PM (#143458 - in reply to #143394)

Any way we can help here at MuskieFIRST, we will. Just ask.
snaggletooth
Posted 4/18/2005 10:26 AM (#143495 - in reply to #143051)

I notified the owners of the LOTW camp that we patronize about the Pyzer letter and that I learned of it on this website. They replied to me that the local LOTW tourism industry knows about it and that its message is quickly making its way through associated govt. departments.

So, an awareness of the situation has been established.
Bukes
Posted 4/18/2005 9:45 PM (#143603 - in reply to #143051)

The resort owners where I stay said that the lodges are working with a lobby group called, The Canadian Federation of Independent Business. There web address is http://www.cfib.ca/default_e.asp and there is an email link. Don't think it would hurt to take a minute to express your concerns to them.
BRAINSX
Posted 4/18/2005 10:24 PM (#143615 - in reply to #143051)

DONE!
kenoraonca
Posted 4/22/2005 7:39 AM (#144090 - in reply to #143279)

I have already setup a web site on this and trying to put everything in one spot.
For the time being it is hosted on a free hosting companie. www.lakeofthewoods.0catch.com

Wthin a month, I will be moving it to another I have used in the past, that is both reliable, no banners or pop ups etc.. Plus they offer excellent service 99% up time, and good extras such as chat, message boards and stats.

It is also very reasonably priced. $5 a month or whatever. No big deal.

This once up, will NOT go down. However with your help I would like good fresh content. Photo's of nets if you have seen them. Any information you hear that I do not as I do not hear everything. etc. etc.

I have no objection on keeping this up to date, and up and running. It is an excellent cause.

Email me at
[email protected]
Bukes
Posted 4/25/2005 10:01 AM (#144407 - in reply to #143051)

Here is a reply I received from Roger Gould who is with The Canadian Federation of Independent Business regarding my email of concern:

Hi Tom, thanks for the letter, I really appreciate the insight. Thought I should fill you in on the info I tracked down this past week. On Monday I had a meeting with the head enforcement officer for the MNR in the Dryden region,he was very helpful in providing me with names to contact and info on the rules regarding Lake of the Woods Fisheries, so here's the scoop. The MNR has three areas of concern and control with fishing in Ontario, the first and foremost is conservation and ensuring that the fish and game populations are controlled so that we don't have them depleted, native rights are number two, and they are governed by the federal government through treaty and inherent rights that make it legal for the natives to operate fisheries for the purpose of sale ( this is regulated by the MNR) and also for the purpose of personal use (for food, ceremonies), and the third is for the sport fishing industry. He was knowledgeable on the issues affecting LOW and advised that proper controls were in place, and that there were no immediate threats to the stock of fish, he did read some info on the net through the forums and felt that there were incorrect issues being stated. He then advised me to contact the MNR in Kenora, which I did on Wednesday. I spoke to another conservation officer there who was also very helpful, he went over the issue with me and stated basically the same thing I heard in Dryden, that being that the fishing population has not been adversely effected by commercial fishing by natives and also for their personal use, he did say that there are more issues than this and they include the Minnesota side as well as Manitoba. He is aware of Ash Rapids and said that there are no problems with the fish population in that area. He said that the only individuals now holding commercial licenses on the Canadian side were First Nations and they are doing a responsible job in ensuring proper conservation. He also said he has seen info on forum sights and disagrees with some of the information.
I understand your concern for the future of our resources, and I, like the majority of Canadians will ensure that our elected officials do not let our natural resources come second before special interest peoples. I have talked to many resort owners in areas where controls such as slot size and limits have been enforced, and they are quite impressed at the comeback of the fish populations. So what more can I say for the time being, With owners such as the Clinton's I feel that the resources will be there for generations to come, come on up and have a great visit and have fun fishing. I will also be advising my head office of yours and the Clinton's concerns, and I will also discuss this issue with our Member of Parliament who by the way is a former bait provider.
Hope to get a chance to say hi to you this summer.
Take Care
Roger Gould

Take it for what its worth, I will post the MNR man's email when I get it.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)