Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: sworrall, Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 6 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Biology -> Stunning new findings by the Musky Restoration Project Team

Message Subject: Stunning new findings by the Musky Restoration Project Team
Wallski
Posted 6/22/2005 8:09 AM (#151454 - in reply to #140649)
Subject: RE: Stunning new findings by the Musky Restoration Project Team

Larry Ramsell
Your findings that I read in the Badger Sportsman Magazine by: Scott Keiper were to say the least, very important. I'm new to the muskie fishing world compared to most and I been reading as much information I can. I've mainly been a walleye fanatic and through the years (30+ years of fishing) I've noticed an increase in both walleye AND muskie. The walleye's are of smaller size in the areas of more abundance of them. However, my true "honeyholes" produce ones of largers sizes with a mix of size variances. Which is really good to see. I "see" more muskie in areas of the state that local clubs have stocked also. River systems in the state hold more too. Because I have been seeing the muskie's more and more while out catching walleye it got me to think that there has to more(muskie) of them. Is the problem not muskie of larger size or is the problem that their are to many in smaller areas? Strain of muskie? Has the food source declined? Is human population growth around are northern lakes affected the shorelines and water for fish habitat. According to the Masinaigan(Native American) magazine, native spearing in the last couple years have taken 200-300 muskie form northern lakes, does this really affect the growth rate? Also I would like to add that 4 tribes do stock also in our northern lakes. But what strain of muskie do they staock that I haven't found out yet. What do you think?
Don Pfeiffer
Posted 7/1/2006 11:56 PM (#198968 - in reply to #140649)
Subject: RE: Stunning new findings by the Musky Restoration Project Team

With the information at this site I have to ask. Why not push for slot limits as it would help to harvest these smaller fish and let the bigger ones, (a better strain) there to spawn. If you leave the inferior fish there they will spawn more inferior fish. The restoration project really needs to get behind slot limits as part of the program. The more tools you have available to correct this the better,slots are just another tool.

Pfeiff

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 6 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)