Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> SETTING THE HOOK

Message Subject: SETTING THE HOOK
CHAD
Posted 3/14/2005 8:47 AM (#138892)
Subject: SETTING THE HOOK

Last season I lost a number of muskies due to my hook sets. What is the best way to set the hook?
JohnMD
Posted 3/14/2005 8:53 AM (#138893 - in reply to #138892)
Subject: RE: SETTING THE HOOK

In most cases I just give one good hookset and then keep a good bend in the rod ( Long Rods really help with this ).

It seems that when some folks set the hook multiple times they either pull the hooks out or give the fish just a few seconds of slack and that's all they need to flip you the fin and swim off

bchunter26
Posted 3/14/2005 9:03 AM (#138895 - in reply to #138892)

Read the Article that Joe Bucher wrote in a past Muskie Hunter. He talks about foot pacement, where to point the rod tip ect. Lots of stuff I never would have thought of.
MikeHulbert
Posted 3/14/2005 9:17 AM (#138898 - in reply to #138892)

90% of the people in my boat have aweful "musky" hook sets and rod placements. I wish they never watch another #*^@ bass t.v. show again. DO NOT set the hook, and fight the fish with your rop tip straight up in the air. Keep a good bend in the rod, and constant pressure, but KEEP YOUR ROD TIP LOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ONE quick snap across your chest will do just fine. No reason to give them the "TUNA PUMP" That will only cause you to rip the bait out of her mouth. Also, don't lift up on your rod, then quickly lower it to the water and reel up the slack line. I have seen this to many times and most times the fish swims away.

Constant pressure, keep your rod tip low, and only set the hook once.
Mark H.
Posted 3/14/2005 9:29 AM (#138901 - in reply to #138892)

I will second what Hulburt said. Good explanation Mike, I see the same things.
muskyboy
Posted 3/14/2005 10:04 AM (#138911 - in reply to #138892)

I use full body hook sets with no problems. Set the hook once right and keep your line tight during the fight, and you will have no problems. Today's rods help battle the fish very effectively, today's superline's have no risk of stretch, and today's hooks enable you to set the hook very securely with really little effort. I historically set the hook hard though, and I will continue to do that.
jonnysled
Posted 3/14/2005 10:05 AM (#138912 - in reply to #138892)

the fish grabbed the bait to eat it, she ain't going to let it go until you do something so why not make sure you've got an angle to pull it to the corner of her face? read the fish and understand where her body (tail) is relative to the hookset angle you are going to use and then, do what mike says, he's right.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)