Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Plueger reel??

Message Subject: Plueger reel??
C.Painter
Posted 3/10/2005 8:10 AM (#138326)
Subject: Plueger reel??

I was at Gander last night and they had a Plueger reel that I hadn't seen before...not sure if its new or not but it looked pretty nice for 88 bucks (88 or so..was in that ball park). The good news was it was left handed!!! The only bad thing was I think they put this particular one together wrong because the thumb bar was pushed down and wouldn't come up but the spool spun when you reeled...I told the guy it was defective and he should just give it to me....but he didn't think that was funny....

ANyway...anyone have experience with this reel....has I think 5 ball bearings....

Cory
Gander Mt Guide
Posted 3/10/2005 8:17 AM (#138329 - in reply to #138326)
Subject: RE: Plueger reel??

The Trion 56 and 66. We had them last season and I bought one of each. very very nice reel for the money. Strong drag as well. I did notice that my casts aren't as long with the Trion, but I'd buy another.
tomyv
Posted 3/10/2005 8:33 AM (#138332 - in reply to #138329)

I just bought one a few weeks ago at the ohio show. So, I haven't had a chance to try it out. I believe they are the same reel as the mania bass pro reel. Anyway, seemed like a good reel for the price!
C.Painter
Posted 3/10/2005 9:11 AM (#138340 - in reply to #138326)

Yep that was the reel John.....I might have to pick one of those up...seems build well.

Cory
The Handyman
Posted 3/10/2005 9:59 AM (#138350 - in reply to #138326)

I tried 2 the first one blow at the second day of fishing and the new one after the first return made a week! Very disappointed in the quality of these reels.Gears on both, seemed they would be good bass reels, or maybe I just toss to large of baits! At least my Abu`s can keep being repaired and back in action fast!
rpieske
Posted 3/10/2005 2:12 PM (#138402 - in reply to #138350)

Handyman: Sorry you haven't had good luck with these reels. I have 6 of them, fish 200 days per year, and while they are not Calcutta's they certainly have held up well for me. I clean them regularly and use Hot Sauce Oil and Grease. The Hot Sauce also seems to give me longer casts than other oils I have used. After up to 4 years on these reel, I have absolutely no complaints. A good reel for the money. I only use the Trion 66, nothing smaller. I would recommend this reel to anyone looking for a quality reel at a decent price.
MN Bushwacker
Posted 3/10/2005 2:21 PM (#138406 - in reply to #138326)

C.Painter - 3/10/2005 8:10 AM

The only bad thing was I think they put this particular one together wrong because the thumb bar was pushed down and wouldn't come up but the spool spun when you reeled...I told the guy it was defective and he should just give it to me....but he didn't think that was funny....

ANyway...anyone have experience with this reel....has I think 5 ball bearings....

Cory

A little FYI to save some people some frustration::::::::::I bought a new reel and it did the same exact thing. This problem happens when you take a reel apart and the thumbar doesn't match up correctly when you put it back together/
rpieske
Posted 3/12/2005 7:47 AM (#138618 - in reply to #138406)

Bushwacker is exactly right. Just take the side plate off, lift the thumbar and put the sideplate back on while holding the thumbar up. That will take care of the problem.
Krappie
Posted 3/12/2005 1:25 PM (#138639 - in reply to #138326)

I had picked up a Trion 66 last year also. After the 5th trip out with it the reel would make a ginding noise when I would cast. It was as if the reel wasn't fully disengaging from the drag when the free spool button was pressed down. It wouldn't happen all the time, but enough in which it starts to drive your fishing buddies a little nutty. Anyway I tried to return it, but that's a whole different story. (Let's just say that I ended up keeping and dealing with the screaming banchee). Overall, I love the reel for it's smoothness, and the drag system appears to be very good. But with the problem of it not fully disengaging I suspect the gears won't exactly last too long. Anyway I just chalk it up as a lost. If anyone has any suggestions to fixing it I'm all ears?

catch ya later,
Krappie
rpieske
Posted 3/12/2005 2:18 PM (#138641 - in reply to #138639)

Your reel might be retaining water inside the plates. I've noticed this when using lines that tend to hold water. Take the side plate off the reel and check it out. Be sure to check the side opposite the crank handle. Since going to the Hot Sauce Oil and Grease and regularly cleaning them I have not had the problem. I've been thinking about tapping a small hole at the bottom of the side plate frame to allow water to drain out. I believe Calcutta does this. I'll let you know how that works out after I do it. That screeching sound is not parculiar to Pflueger....many of the reels do it.

Edited by rpieske 3/12/2005 2:21 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)