Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Cave Run

Message Subject: Cave Run
WV Musky
Posted 10/11/2004 2:20 PM (#120999)
Subject: Cave Run

I fished Cave Run this weekend and only raised 4 fish. They were bigger fish, but I was disappointed in the amount of pressure this lake has. What do you guys think? Do you think maybe this lake is over rated? I was also disappointed in the attitude of many anglers that I talked to, they seemed to think that if they catch a "keeper" fish they must keep it. I heard of a couple muskies being kept this weekend and what I gathered they were only 35 or so inches.
Thanks
Shawn
MikeHulbert
Posted 10/11/2004 2:30 PM (#121001 - in reply to #120999)
Subject: RE: Cave Run

It's not over rated, it is a great lake. Just harder to figure out at times.

Down there they deal with the same crap as we do here in Indiana. People keeping way to many muskies.

You will hear the same line of BS, it's legal to keep a fish, it's ok as long as you have a license, ect..

The Cave is a great lake, don't give up on it!
WV Musky
Posted 10/11/2004 7:19 PM (#121024 - in reply to #121001)

Mike,
I know you've fished the cave, and I was wondering why everyone congregates to the Flats. We must have saw 20 or more boats on the flats on saturday. We were gonna stop and fish it, but decided to hit the coves. We rode around and every cove had several boats in it . We figured because the main lake is so pressured that we would try and find unpressured fish. So we pulled out the map and went to the standing timber in the river area. Only saw a couple boats back in this area, so we figured we might get some fish. Only had 4 follows back in there. We had a good time, and will probably come back (just not on a weekend). Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mike
Shawn
Manitoudan
Posted 10/11/2004 9:21 PM (#121038 - in reply to #120999)

I will say I was quite suprised on friday to see 12-14 boats on the flats as the sun came up. Obviously the word is out to everyone how productive the flats can be in oct. but I have to wonder , surely all that boat traffic , day after day , keeps alot of good fish off the flats, personally I'm going to try to give up my addiction to the flats -- too many hours fished with no results, I think it has alot to do with much less weed cover this year than previous years than boat traffic though. My best years on the flats have been when the weeds were everywhere, not just clumps here and there. Cave run's most decicated anglers were still hitting it though, most be producing or those who do it for a livin' would'nt be there. The cave a great place but this year the technique of fishing nothing but the flats might get you a goose egg , I'm trying to learn to be more flexable. interesting topic. manitouDan
Kurt
Posted 10/12/2004 2:07 PM (#121121 - in reply to #121038)

I've been fishing the Cave since '89. I'll still go 3 or 4 times a year, but its disgusting to see the number of boats there. Everyone with a jon boat and a bucktail are pounding the hell out of it. I used to go mid-week and see 2-3 musky boats on the whole lake, now thre 2-3 on every spot. It gets too much press, both on the internet and in magazines.

Don't get me wrong, it still produces at a phenomal rate (this year has been pretty poor though). I just lose confidence fishing behind people. Some of the luster wears off when you stsrt to think your lure is the 20th one THAT SPOT has seen in a day.
tomyv
Posted 10/13/2004 8:30 AM (#121201 - in reply to #121121)

I've been on the cave and been the only boat around (spring), and I've seen it the way it is being described here. It definately takes some of the fun out of it, but if the fish are going.........it doesn't matter, they are going.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)