Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Real Big Pike!

Message Subject: Real Big Pike!
Webguy
Posted 8/13/2004 1:17 PM (#115231)
Subject: Real Big Pike!

From 1999 but I thought this would raise some eye-brows if you didn't see it already! That thing was big!

He probably fed the whole eskimo village, they look pretty happy!

Edited by Webguy 8/13/2004 1:21 PM
rpieske
Posted 8/14/2004 2:33 PM (#115301 - in reply to #115231)
Subject: RE: Real Big Pike!

Have seen this before. If you measure the man's right hand at the knuckles, and then measure the whole fish, assigning a value of 4" to the knuckle spread, the fish is in the 44" class. Certainly no more than 46". It does have a very healthy girth. Nice fish but not even close to 70". Using the 2x4 in the background for a gauge is inappropriate since it is several feet removed from the fish. This fish is no more than 46" and probably less than 30 lbs.
Beaver
Posted 8/14/2004 11:14 PM (#115312 - in reply to #115231)

Very interseting observation Bob.
I'm a pretty big guy, much bigger than the guy in the photo, and my 4 finger measurement is only 3 1/2". I even went down to my reloading bench and got out my dial caliper for this one.....can you tell I'm having trouble sleeping......the guys arms are extended toward the camera. The 2x4, as you state, is well behind them, so using his hand as a measuring tool and assigning it a 4" spread makes that fish short of 4 feet. It's stomach is as big as mine, so I wouldn't try to guesstimate the weight, but the length is definitely not over 5' as they claim.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
See, you gotta have the Pope in the boat with you when you catch a big fish, or your butt will be served for shore lunch
Beav
esoxmn
Posted 8/15/2004 9:40 AM (#115327 - in reply to #115231)

some people have to much time on their hands.
muskyjake
Posted 8/15/2004 1:30 PM (#115337 - in reply to #115231)

I also have to agree with bob, i wouldnt have noticed that i mean in no way is that not a huge fish but 70in I DONT THINK SO.....

Jake
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)