Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> FFS Poll - What Is Your Stance?

FFS Poll - What Is Your Stance?
OptionResults
FFS Is A Tool Like 2D sonar/SI/Downscan - Should be unrestricted access/Use6 Votes - [11.54%]
FFS is Fine: sharp shooting is bad as are other unethical uses.26 Votes - [50%]
FFS Should be banned20 Votes - [38.46%]

Message Subject: FFS Poll - What Is Your Stance?
Slamr
Posted 7/1/2024 11:34 AM (#1029430)
Subject: FFS Poll - What Is Your Stance?

Curious where everyone actually stands on this issue.
Brian Hoffies
Posted 7/1/2024 2:55 PM (#1029436 - in reply to #1029430)
Subject: Re: FFS Poll - What Is Your Stance?

I voted for it to be banned but I don't know in what context you were talking about. I oppose it for tournaments which I feel should have a level playing field. For every day use, if you have the coin go for it, just don't decimate the fishery. I guess I'm opposed to guides using it also.
mikie
Posted 7/3/2024 11:39 AM (#1029491 - in reply to #1029430)

Get your bans off my bass boat! If the tech works and is available, folks should be able to use it. If the question is about who should and should not use it (guides, tourney participants, etc), that's up to the sponsors. But if the question is can I buy and use a new product, yeah. m
raftman
Posted 7/3/2024 7:42 PM (#1029502 - in reply to #1029491)

mikie - 7/3/2024 11:39 AM

Get your bans off my bass boat! If the tech works and is available, folks should be able to use it. If the question is about who should and should not use it (guides, tourney participants, etc), that's up to the sponsors. But if the question is can I buy and use a new product, yeah. m

But some people might misuse it and I don’t want my fishing experience impacted so you shouldn’t be able to use it. It’s not fishing anyhow. Ban it.
OH Musky
Posted 7/3/2024 9:11 PM (#1029505 - in reply to #1029430)

I wondered how long it would take something like this to come up. “If I don’t like it, ban it.” And if the reason for banning something is to “equal” the playing field or minimize the number of fish caught then ban all electronics including trolling motors, ban kickers and any boat over 16’. Limit the HP on boats all because not everyone can afford it or it increases catch numbers. Ban guiding and live bait because the two are too effective at catching fish.

Hell, let’s go to the extreme and close all state’s seasons from Dec to Sept to protect the fish. In Dec, females are full of eggs and should be left alone until after they finish spawning in May. Some say the 80* temp limit is too high and we should stop at 70*. So all fishing is banned from June thru Sept due to water temps MAY be too high. Leaves you only Oct and Nov. The numbers fishing will drop off as will club’s and organization’s participation and funding. They will dry up and fold. DNR efforts will drop and stocking will stop. But you’re protecting the fish so it’s all good, right? Ban FFS and where does it stop?

I think the effectiveness of FFS is over stated and blown out of proportion. But technological advances will not stop and better units are just around the corner. Let the DNRs study it and make recommendations. In the meantime, go fishing and live longer.
chuckski
Posted 7/4/2024 9:54 AM (#1029518 - in reply to #1029430)

I've fished a lot of places out of a lot of different boats over the years. I started out on a old wooden row boat with no motor or fish finder as we called them at the time back in the 70's. I had both 12' and 14' row boats (aluminum with) small engines and bigger 16' boats with big engines and all the bells and whisles, and all the different boats I rented. Over 30 years ago on my only trip to Lake Of The Woods in a rental boat we missed the cutoff back to camp and we found a buoy got the number off it and plugged it into our map and figured out where we were. In Canada fish buoy's and channel makers. (a good way to find spots) My dad did well beating the shore lines this time of year in both Wisconsin and Canada, I like to fish open water.
This could be fish down the middle of a smaller Lake in 15' of water or fishing 15' down in water 80-100', or finding deep reefs and fishing on them or fishing around them. What I have found that driving around with fish finder on or seeing bait on the surface with my eyes I mark those spots on my map. Over the years the bait is for the most part in the same places so I drive around and fish those spots. I don't have a boat but if I did and had FFS I could beat up on the fish in open water.
I rather look for fish casting them looking at TV.
mikie
Posted 7/4/2024 10:00 AM (#1029519 - in reply to #1029430)

"But some people might misuse it and I don’t want my fishing experience impacted so you shouldn’t be able to use it. It’s not fishing anyhow. Ban it."
The same could be said for assault weapons in the hands of the public, and the harm of those being in the 'wrong hands' means we lose more than a few fish. They are not for hunting, anyhow. m
7.62xJay
Posted 7/4/2024 1:45 PM (#1029524 - in reply to #1029519)

mikie - 7/4/2024 10:00 AM

"But some people might misuse it and I don’t want my fishing experience impacted so you shouldn’t be able to use it. It’s not fishing anyhow. Ban it."
The same could be said for assault weapons in the hands of the public, and the harm of those being in the 'wrong hands' means we lose more than a few fish. They are not for hunting, anyhow. m

We're faaaar too good at repopulating and our species is spread around the globe is your difference there pal. The largemouth industry is accepting FFS with open arms. Hm, I wonder why?
curdmudgeon
Posted 7/4/2024 2:04 PM (#1029525 - in reply to #1029524)

im in minority, just another tool in the endless continuum of betters boats (worth pages alone), gas engine improvement (more pages of history, improvements, safety, efficiency, yada yada, trolling motors (same), gps, SI, superline, fluoro, AGM batteries then Li, better clothes than old cotton/wool, sunblock, cell phones, youtube, better baits (DBL10, Bulldawgs) MuskieFirst forum to learn from experts. I'm sure I left off tons of tech advances that allow us to fish longer, warmer/cooler, get there quicker, be on water longer, teach us exact technique, etc. etc.

Old guys like me, get over this one thing. Life is yin/yang. with FFS in the boat, I spend so much screen time I don't notice Striper boils 1/4mi away - an angler cannot do everything simultaneously. Time staring at FFS is time not doing something else we old cats do to catch fish. Yes the whuppersnappers will snipe big fish, but nobody can take your unique approach to fishing from you, and you know you catch big ones too!

only used mine half-dozen times but did catch a 25" reservoir Striper on a spoon and saw it in "real-time" on-screen. Wild sensation to see the fish move on the bait, get the hit, and see it fight real-time. Did I snipe it? I did move the bait higher in the water column to get it to the fish (luddites *gasp* the horror, he used tech to catch a fish!!, smfh!?, wtf!?, gtfo my lake!!). My side-imaging saw those fish first, that is why I stopped. I went to the spot b/c its a no-brainer, highway bridge in river/reservoir during high noon (lots of shade/shadows). So prob would have caught it anyways, I knew fish would be there and SI confirmed; FFS sealed the deal (OMG! WTF did he say! who is he to catch a F-kn FISH!?!?, ban this stuff NOW).

More important is post-catch handling. Some dudes woulda killed that fish in high-summer but mine swam away due to quick, expert handling.

So as to FFS bans, I say,
*Come and get it*

Edited by curdmudgeon 7/4/2024 2:05 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)