Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> LOTW Miles Bay Muskies

Message Subject: LOTW Miles Bay Muskies
TornadoFlipN
Posted 6/10/2024 3:52 PM (#1029034)
Subject: LOTW Miles Bay Muskies

I'm heading up to LOTW next week for the muskie opener with my 2 sons - 13 and 9. We're renting a houseboat and plan on setting up around Miles Bay. I'm assuming the muskies will be in their post-spawn phase, so we'll be focusing on the south and east bays - where bulrush and weeds are noticeable. We're bringing a ton of glidebaits, bucktails and topwater.

Any specific spots we should concentrate on? My main goal is to help both my sons catch their first muskie. I've fished Miles Bay back in 2017 in late July but got skunked.
Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Fishboy19
Posted 6/12/2024 10:24 AM (#1029074 - in reply to #1029034)
Subject: RE: LOTW Miles Bay Muskies

IMO, I haven’t been in that area in a while, but my experience was low numbers of fish in Miles compared to Sabaskong Bay
Brett Waldera
Posted 6/13/2024 7:30 AM (#1029084 - in reply to #1029034)
Subject: Re: LOTW Miles Bay Muskies

I have done a few openers with my son on LOTW in the past. It sounds like you already have a decent game plan for your trip. The bays on the Sunset Channel south of Miles bay usually hold some fish early. I like raddog spinnerbaits in the shallow sloppier weeds, and small prop topwaters like a fatbastard or Lee's Lures waterchopper worked a little slower than reg speed. I also like zigzag topwaters early in the season to go with gliders like you mentioned. These are all good choices for the bays.
The rock points going into these bays can be good at times if there is some wind generated current. I have done best twitching a 9" crankbait on these points early in the season. Black/silver, gold, and Perch patterns are good choices for cranks and jerks. Windows are typically shorter earlier in the season so make sure you pay attention to majors and minors for muskies and spend other time fishing other species for the most part. Of course, if there is a noticeable weather shift make sure you get back to muskies for a while.

Best of Luck, I hope you are able to get your son's their first muskie!! My son's first casting muskie was on an opener trip to LOTW. Loved these multi-species trips!

Brett Waldera
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)