Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> The sub plot.

Message Subject: The sub plot.
chuckski
Posted 4/30/2024 9:25 AM (#1028109)
Subject: The sub plot.

The how and why you would want to go in the tackle business.
sworrall
Posted 4/30/2024 9:44 AM (#1028110 - in reply to #1028109)
Subject: Re: The sub plot.

I was in the business for a bunch of years building and selling Creatures. It was a lot of work, and the brand never really caught on because using them is not as easy for many as it seemed to me to be. I was forced out when the manufacturer went out of business. Never did anything like a copyright or patent, and now it seems every soft plastic builder has a 'Creature'. In the meantime. a guy bought the tools and began producing the Fliptail model again. My son sells those on his Violent Strike Lures website. I'll be putting walleyes in the net opening weekend on the Baby Creature in motor oil/glitter.

These days I assist in marketing lures.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 4/30/2024 10:01 AM (#1028111 - in reply to #1028110)

sworrall - 4/30/2024 9:44 AM

I was in the business for a bunch of years building and selling Creatures. It was a lot of work, and the brand never really caught on because using them is not as easy for many as it seemed to me to be. I was forced out when the manufacturer went out of business. Never did anything like a copyright or patent, and now it seems every soft plastic builder has a 'Creature'. In the meantime. a guy bought the tools and began producing the Fliptial model again. My son sells those on his Violent Strike Lures website. I'll be putting walleyes in the net opening weekend on the Baby Creature in motor oil/glitter.

These days I assist in marketing lures.

I still need to see your creature fishing method!
ToddM
Posted 4/30/2024 11:29 AM (#1028113 - in reply to #1028109)

I wouldn't. I used to get asked to get into it way back when but the drama among baits makers and their posse kept me.away.

Edited by ToddM 4/30/2024 11:30 AM
chuckski
Posted 5/1/2024 7:38 AM (#1028141 - in reply to #1028109)

I make my own solid wire leaders I don't trust myself to make a cable one. I save a few bucks and get what I need. (not going in the leader business) I also make my own Bucktails and I can repair a bent one too. I've also changed belly paint on plugs and changed the color on some backs on plugs too. What I would like to do in the future is make a light jig with a larger hook size. If someone makes something like that I would buy some.
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 5/1/2024 7:43 AM (#1028142 - in reply to #1028141)

If professional bait makers can't make a shallow invader that doesn't take on water, how the heck would I?

Edited by ARmuskyaddict 5/1/2024 7:44 AM
Masqui-ninja
Posted 5/1/2024 8:06 AM (#1028143 - in reply to #1028109)

I like to tinker and build lures, but making thousands of the same lure doesn't appeal to me at all.
Grass
Posted 5/1/2024 12:09 PM (#1028153 - in reply to #1028109)

As a kid I sold nightcrawlers out of my parents house. $0.75 per dozen.
Rainy summer nights were spent on the golf course picking night crawlers.
I had several customers that would call me and place orders for ~ 10 dozen before their fishing trips.
Fun way for a kid to make some money.
jdsplasher
Posted 5/1/2024 12:53 PM (#1028155 - in reply to #1028141)

chuckski - 5/1/2024 7:38 AM I make my own solid wire leaders I don't trust myself to make a cable one. I save a few bucks and get what I need. (not going in the leader business) I also make my own Bucktails and I can repair a bent one too. I've also changed belly paint on plugs and changed the color on some backs on plugs too. What I would like to do in the future is make a light jig with a larger hook size. If someone makes something like that I would buy some.

What’s your idea of Light?

7.62xJay
Posted 5/1/2024 1:48 PM (#1028157 - in reply to #1028109)

Chuck check out Jenko Jigs. I'll try to remember to send some pics later
chuckski
Posted 5/1/2024 6:20 PM (#1028162 - in reply to #1028109)

For full sized Muskie tackle it's 174# and 240# with a size 4 or 5 Solid ring (on action water or places with smaller I'll add a Stay lok snap (the ones they use on a Stealth floorcarbon) and a size 5 ballbearing or a mighty mini crane swivel.(I'm a spit ring guy)
When making a down sized leader for lighter tackle I use a smaller Mini Crane swivel maybe a shorter piece of wire or no swivel at all. Next time I place a R&H order I'm going to buy some real light weight leader material 27# .011 for ultra light fishing.
Also fishing with ultra lights I'll take my chances on a bite off VS a leader pulling apart plus the leader will ruin the action of your lure. Jay thanks for the jig suggestion.
TCESOX
Posted 5/1/2024 7:22 PM (#1028163 - in reply to #1028153)

Grass - 5/1/2024 12:09 PM

I had several customers that would call me and place orders for ~ 10 dozen before their fishing trips.

Wonder how many of us did that. I lived on the edge of town, and our backyard butted up to a horse pasture that had a corn field beyond that. I could go out after dark and fill a large coffee can in no time. Had a sign we put up in the front yard. 50 cents a dozen. When I was just starting out, had an old lady who had a cabin on a small river, who would stop by on Friday afternoons, and buy all I had. Used styrofoam coolers with blue ice to keep them cool in the day, and re-freeze the blue ice at night. First thing I bought was an old refrigerator, so I could grow my business. Bought a 10 speed bike, and my first stereo, with worm money. Also many, many hamburgers. Thanks for bringing up good memories, Grass.
North of 8
Posted 5/1/2024 8:52 PM (#1028165 - in reply to #1028109)

The best night I and my buddy ever did on crawlers was incredible. It was a warm soaking rain, and we were doing well in the grass. Then we got the bright idea to check out the neighbors newly plowed garden patch. He had a guy plow it, then put cow manure on. The plan was to work it in and plant the next year. We filled two half gallon milk cartons in less than a half hour from that patch. They went to a group of guys going to Canada for 10 days walleye fishing. Don't think we made much but my buddy's dad, who was a friend of the fisherman, was shocked at how we got so many in one night. We never told him. Just said we worked really, really hard and wouldn't be working that hard again for a while.
miket55
Posted 5/1/2024 8:55 PM (#1028166 - in reply to #1028153)

Grass - 5/1/2024 1:09 PM

Started out watching Dad catch them in the well watered back yard the evening before a family outing. Thought I was really badass when he gave me a flashlight to work the other corner of the yard.

I wish I had a place to hunt nightcrawlers...
RLSea
Posted 5/2/2024 9:54 PM (#1028192 - in reply to #1028109)

As kids we would get them at public golf courses.
Solitario Lupo
Posted 5/3/2024 10:49 AM (#1028198 - in reply to #1028109)

I’ll sell a couple flies here and there. A store wanted me to do it for them but I figured if I did it, it would take the fun out of it and become more like a job so the only reason why I do it is to save me some money and be able to recreate a lure that works. So that’s the reason for making my own lures and to building my own rods.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)