Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Mid South Reservoir Classifications, Are your musky tactics different?

Message Subject: Mid South Reservoir Classifications, Are your musky tactics different?
kdawg
Posted 4/25/2024 11:38 AM (#1027997)
Subject: Mid South Reservoir Classifications, Are your musky tactics different?

Decades ago, I bought a book titled Bass, A Handbook of Strategies, by In Fisherman. In that book, I learned how to classify the large impoundments of the mid-south reservoirs. Highland, Hill-land, and Lowland were the three most discussed and then western plateaus. The question I have here is with do your tactics change much when your fishing muskies in a Highland reservoir, such as Dale Hollow and Green River as to a Hill Land res. such as Cave Run or Lake KInkaid. What's your approach to these different types of reservoirs? Kdawg
chuckski
Posted 4/25/2024 5:56 PM (#1028002 - in reply to #1027997)
Subject: Re: Mid South Reservoir Classifications, Are your musky tactics different?

In Colorado we have lot of Reservoirs of different types, for the most part there are very few weeds, so I fish the rock areas on the dam it's self or places where you have a uneven bottom. Depending where the lake is you may have standing timber.
Sure I fish Flowages in the north country but I prefer a natural Lake. And for the record I have all the In-fisherman books. (great reading)
Masqui-ninja
Posted 4/26/2024 2:06 PM (#1028015 - in reply to #1027997)
Subject: Re: Mid South Reservoir Classifications, Are your musky tactics different?

I find myself touring around the south more-and-more in the winter and spring, so I'm interested in what others have to say about this as well.

I feel like I have a decent handle on the highland reservoirs, and following the shad is definitely one key. We could probably start a whole other thread on Thredfin Shad vs. big Gizzard Shad vs. Skipjack Herring etc. as the fish seem to really key in on different bait types and their sizes and tendencies.

Wouldn't Green River Lake be classified as a hill-land reservoir? I know there is a very long dike or levee around the dam area. Versus Melton Hill, Center Hill or DHL that have very tall narrow dams (Highland Reservoir)?
kdawg
Posted 4/26/2024 5:02 PM (#1028020 - in reply to #1028015)

Your probably right with my mis-classifying of Green River. The last reservoir I was on was Pomme De Terre in Mo, which I would classify as Hill-Land. Following creek channels into the coves with standing timber was what most of the muskie guys were doing. Baitfish location in these coves was also a major factor. But, I hope some of the guys who spend more time in these regions of the country on these various res. would weigh in. Kdawg
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)