Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: I Don't care how many I catch, I just want to see them. There is always the ZOO!!!
- (Added by: jdsplasher)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Bucktail Building Advice

Message Subject: Bucktail Building Advice
Weiseyyy
Posted 2/19/2024 11:04 AM (#1026621)
Subject: Bucktail Building Advice

Hello!

I'm looking at getting into building bucktails and was just curious if anyone on here had any beginner pointers for me or gear recommendations. I've seen little kits on websites like the Musky Shop, but I'm more interested in getting all of the tools first and then building up my own component arsenal.

Thanks in advance for any help at all. I'm going to be at the MN Expo here soon as well, so if you know of any venders there that sell building gear, let me know.

Thanks!
ARmuskyaddict
Posted 2/19/2024 5:47 PM (#1026632 - in reply to #1026621)
Subject: Re: Bucktail Building Advice

Are you going to tie your own tails? to me, that's the fun part to me. No need for that kit if you're buying things separately and tying up your own. Things you need:

Wire, either forms or bulk- You'll have to learn the twist. THe wire forms come with one side already looped, but only have 1 and a half wraps around the shaft. I prefer a3 full twists after the loop and buy the wire in bulk.
Round nose pliers for making your loops on the wire- If using 0.51 wire, you can get a jewelry wire bender that works better than round nosed pliers at craft stores. The 0.62 stuff is too rigid for these types of benders.
Hooks
Split rings
Skirt material
Wire coils springs for the skirt to be built on
Lure bodies
D size thread
Bobbin for thread
Beads- you'll want at least 1 pack of solid beads, as you place a solid bead below the clevise/s
Clevises -- Make sure the diameter holes for your clevises, beads, and lure bodies match the diameter wire
Blades of various sizes, colors, types
A fly trying vise. I rigged one with channel locks versus the vise. It worked easier for my setup, since I use the kitchen table.

I'm sure I forgot something, but hope that helps. Send me a message if you have questions.

Solitario Lupo
Posted 2/20/2024 10:41 AM (#1026646 - in reply to #1026621)

When you just say bucktails I think of fly tying lol. I’m guessing spinner. I own a bogs tackle maker. Can be used for a bunch of things just not spinner and buzzbaits. I mainly use if for fly tying game changers and articulate flies.

ARmuskyaddict. Pretty much gave you a good list to go off of. The fly vise can be pretty expensive for the big hook jaws but there are cheap ones that will work. If you like and get into it then I would upgrade to a good vise.
MuskyFlyGuy
Posted 2/20/2024 3:50 PM (#1026654 - in reply to #1026646)

If you are attending the Minnesota Musky Expo, you can volunteer in the lure making booth for kids. You will be doing something good and learning a lot. Dave can always use another set of hands.
Thorne Brothers makes a vise grip welded to a base that holds the coil.
SL - Can you post something about how you use your Boggs for making articulated flies?
Solitario Lupo
Posted 2/20/2024 9:14 PM (#1026660 - in reply to #1026621)

Sure just have to have a couple days to get some pics and everything together.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)