Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Will there be a Swap meet for the upcoming Milwaukee musky show ?

Message Subject: Will there be a Swap meet for the upcoming Milwaukee musky show ?
TheWaterWolf
Posted 2/4/2024 3:05 PM (#1026156)
Subject: Will there be a Swap meet for the upcoming Milwaukee musky show ?

Just wondering ..it would make it easier to make the trip across the state 
muskymartin67
Posted 2/5/2024 11:13 AM (#1026173 - in reply to #1026156)
Subject: Re: Will there be a Swap meet for the upcoming Milwaukee musky show ?

As far as I know there hasn't been one since before covid
mkemusky
Posted 2/5/2024 1:51 PM (#1026182 - in reply to #1026156)
Subject: RE: Will there be a Swap meet for the upcoming Milwaukee musky show ?

the last one I remember was at upstairs at some bar I forget the name in Allenton, they had great food and seemed like they enjoyed the swap being there. It was small but fun, I remember a saint clair guy off loading a bunch of chaos tackle. I think a swap after an expo really makes an expo!
Guzzler
Posted 2/7/2024 12:16 PM (#1026257 - in reply to #1026156)

The one in Allenton is the last one I remember as well - maybe 4 years ago? When we went to the show last year, it appeared as if that bar may have been closed but I am not certain. I have to agree that the lure swap after the expo is really fun and really tops off each year's experience. You get to talk with a lot of other fishermen, may pick up a few lures, and get a few cold ones too!
jdsplasher
Posted 2/7/2024 9:38 PM (#1026282 - in reply to #1026257)

Finding a decent Venue in this area is the problem. The 2 local musky clubs don’t seem too interested in taking on this task as they both participate in the show besides organizing the swap. Both clubs use the same Venue for their meetings, and the place closes about 9 pm.

If we could figure out a close proximity location,I’m sure a few of us could organize.

Kinda sad as this seems to be the trend for fishing clubs and get togethers. 

JD

sworrall
Posted 2/8/2024 8:36 AM (#1026288 - in reply to #1026156)

We used to run the Milwaukee swap, but when I went to work for the Expos had to back out.
Guzzler
Posted 2/8/2024 12:21 PM (#1026302 - in reply to #1026156)

Iam not from that area, but I saw a couple of bars that were close enough to the venue that may work. There is a tavern in Allenton that is called "Good Times Sports Bar." I am unsure if that was the place that had it last time. Then there were 2 other places in Jackson which is also close called "Pleasant Valley Pub" and "Jackson Pub." Of course, I could not tell from the websites if they potentially would be big enough. I just looked long enough over lunch to see if there was anything close that could work. I'm just throwing it out there for anyone who knows these places that maybe they can check and see if any of them would be interested. I know our group would go and check it out. it would be a bit of extra business for the establishments anyway.
ThedockisIN
Posted 2/8/2024 5:02 PM (#1026317 - in reply to #1026156)

I've organized the Minnesota Muskie Expo Swap since 2009. First at O'Gara's, then Blackstack Brewing and now Gabe's. Almost all venues have a rental or minimum for Saturday events. I spent over a thousand of my own $$$ to do these swaps. In 2009 I hired a band, Doug Otto and the Getaways who brought the late legend Billy Hallquist with them. I only paid them a couple hundred, but they had one heckuva beer bill I covered. I found entertainment is not really appreciated, so I only did the band once. It's work to find a venue, and you can't do it by phone or internet. You must show up so they know you are for real. I helps to have references of places you've done events in the past, so they know you'll actually show up.

Greg Ide
PS Yes, this year's MN Expo swap will again be at Gabe's
Guzzler
Posted 2/9/2024 12:07 PM (#1026340 - in reply to #1026156)

I've been to the one at Gabe's the last 2 years. I just wanted to say Kudos to you for organizing that. It has been a great time and I wanted to say thanks for your hard work! I used to live about 2 miles from there like 25 years ago. I moved back to Wisconsin in 2006, but I have enjoyed going to Gabes again these past couple of years as they still have good food! That place brings back lots of good memories for me. I actually had my first buffalo wings there! They were awesome! If I go to the Minnesota show again, I am sure we will go to the swap meet afterward too. Maybe we'll see you there!
TheWaterWolf
Posted 2/12/2024 5:56 PM (#1026437 - in reply to #1026156)

Guzzler,
I was the guy that organized the one in Allenton i am going to be going to the show Friday Night, and looking into places . Close buy for next year The place i used was out of business when i tried to reach them the next year, ( great local & great owner ) but i was told it was closed.
My difficulty is the distance( for me) and coordinating this makes this difficult , but will try for next year ..... any one knows of locations to try for next year im all ears...

Karl
Guzzler
Posted 2/14/2024 12:09 PM (#1026487 - in reply to #1026156)

We enjoyed Allenton too! Our group of guys were the ones playing the hard-core metal on the Jukebox. We had a great time, and the pizza was really good. I left the lures I bought at the Swap in the Uber car but was able to trace it down the following week when I was in the area again for work. Yup, I have had really good memories at the lure swaps and the shows. Looking forward to this weekend on Saturday. This is always a wintertime highlight!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)