Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Kicker Size

Reply New post
Message Subject: Kicker Size
North of 8
Posted 1/27/2024 8:47 AM (#1025969)
Subject: Kicker Size

I have an older 18' Pro V tiller, with a 15hp four stroke kicker. The kicker works fine, and while it is a carburetor model, after the carb was cleaned, starts, runs without a hitch. Only problem is that it does not have power tilt. To lift when done using, have to step on transom, bend down and lift it. On calm days, not a problem. But a couple times where waves or wakes were bouncing the boat, not pleasant.
I am in my early 70s and fish alone most of the time. While strength training helps with lifting the motor, my balance is not what it was.
I am looking at replacing it and wondering if a 9hp with power tilt would be OK. Seems like it should be but hoped to get some input.
Thanks in advance for any help.
VMS
Posted 1/27/2024 3:46 PM (#1025985 - in reply to #1025969)
Subject: Re: Kicker Size

Hiya!!

I run an 8hp on my 18 foot ranger 617. Does not have any lift assist, but I would feel an 8 or 9hp would be just about right for your rig. If you do any walleye fishing, the yamaha motors I believe have a way to dial down the idle so you can really slow down. My ranger is about 2500 pounds and the 8hp moves it along at full speed around 5.5 - 6 which is plenty...and it will do the job into the wind when I use it to help move the boat with the bowmount. either size you find, I think you would be doing well.. I believe the yamaha 8hp designed for being a kicker would be ideal.

Steve
North of 8
Posted 1/27/2024 4:14 PM (#1025989 - in reply to #1025969)

Thanks! I really thought the 9 would be plenty but was not sure. I probably will go with a Suzuki, in that I have Suzuki on there now and the dealer has worked on my boat in the past. Good people and he offered me a pretty good deal about a year ago, just didn't pull the trigger at that time.
Having to raise it manually did not bother me until recently but think long term if I want to keep fishing as I get older, the power tilt is the way to go. Almost went in the drink last year, while standing with one foot on the transom to raise it. Had trolled down the river and right before I got to the next lake stopped to raise the motor. Just then a 20 foot fishing boat came down the river and around the bend. He slowed way down when he saw me and that caused a big wake which really bounced me around. He was just trying to be thoughtful, but I almost got a bath :>),
Captbigfish
Posted 2/1/2024 9:09 PM (#1026094 - in reply to #1025969)
Subject: RE: Kicker Size

Can you add a power assist lift to your kivker? same motor with a power lift might be the ticket. CMT makes a nice lift, love mine, simple to install and easy to use everyday
North of 8
Posted 2/1/2024 9:45 PM (#1026095 - in reply to #1026094)
Subject: RE: Kicker Size

Captbigfish - 2/1/2024 9:09 PM

Can you add a power assist lift to your kivker? same motor with a power lift might be the ticket. CMT makes a nice lift, love mine, simple to install and easy to use everyday

Will have to check that out. I had done a search a while back and did not find one but will look again. Thanks

Edited by North of 8 2/1/2024 9:45 PM
CincySkeez
Posted 2/5/2024 3:03 PM (#1026188 - in reply to #1025969)

Can tell you right now engine manufacturers are giving away engines.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)