Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Hey lure builders - Temu

Message Subject: Hey lure builders - Temu
Ranger
Posted 1/24/2024 6:58 PM (#1025909)
Subject: Hey lure builders - Temu

I recently learned of Temu, an online seller of all sorts of #*#*. Lots of fishing stuff including materials to build lures. The prices are amazing. For example, you can buy 10 bass sized Whopper Ploppers for $14.48. Whatever you're building, go see if you can get the materials for next to nothing.
North of 8
Posted 1/25/2024 8:39 AM (#1025919 - in reply to #1025909)
Subject: Re: Hey lure builders - Temu

Ranger, have you bought from them? Back in December, looked at them for a stocking stuffer and while I didn't end up buying, have had lots of online ads since. They do have an incredible array of stuff but wondered whether it is any good.
Ranger
Posted 1/25/2024 1:28 PM (#1025924 - in reply to #1025919)

I have purchased a couple sacks of small rubber shrimp for the tanker bluegills that live under the docks at my marina. They are very sturdy, stainless hooks and tough rubber. I also bought some single strand wire and some lead thread for my shop, both seem fine.

Back when I made my own leaders and quick strike rigs, I sourced materials from the saltwater suppliers, great quality and inexpensive to boot. Oh, you can also find terrific big rubber lures similar to Madeuses for cheap cheap cheap compared to musky lures.
North of 8
Posted 1/25/2024 2:06 PM (#1025926 - in reply to #1025924)

Thanks
7.62xJay
Posted 1/27/2024 10:25 AM (#1025972 - in reply to #1025909)

Checked it out last night, there's a few neat things I've never seen before I wouldn't mind playing with. Alot of it looks like the same cheap stuff you can find on Amazon or ebay. Certainly no shortage of folks buying cheap Asian plastic blanks and painting or hydro-dipping em and claiming the title of "builder" out there, Etsy is riddled with em. A few coworkers use Temu and the website seems reputable in regards to web security and order fulfillment according to them. As far as quality of lures, I used to buy from a Chinese fishing store on Ebay, it was the only place to get large ribbon style swimbaits at the time. I still have them all except one I exploded on a bridge and I'm still happy with them, just learned quick to change the hooks and snap rings. My dad,brother,and coworkers buy some of those bass sized baits. It's a gamble, if it's a hard bait and available in a multi pack than buy the mult pack. Some perform great, some leak, some jerks and cranks don't run well, some spinning topwater baits don't have solid enough wire and arrive a little bent or get bent on a hit. As far as plastics go, most are good and a few are waay too hard, and a few are waaay too soft. One thing seems consistent I'd say, low carbon steel, soft flexible hooks and components that rust quick. I didn't look at components but did see amazing prices for Tungsten bullet weights.
Overall, if your tossing that bait anyways, can't hurt to try at those prices. Some great starter pack options for beginners available. Plus, having a sacrificial bait collection for some water certainly is beneficial.
Ranger
Posted 1/30/2024 7:54 PM (#1026048 - in reply to #1025972)

7.62xJay - 1/27/2024 11:25 AM

Checked it out last night, there's a few neat things I've never seen before I wouldn't mind playing with. Alot of it looks like the same cheap stuff you can find on Amazon or ebay. Certainly no shortage of folks buying cheap Asian plastic blanks and painting or hydro-dipping em and claiming the title of "builder" out there, Etsy is riddled with em. A few coworkers use Temu and the website seems reputable in regards to web security and order fulfillment according to them. As far as quality of lures, I used to buy from a Chinese fishing store on Ebay, it was the only place to get large ribbon style swimbaits at the time. I still have them all except one I exploded on a bridge and I'm still happy with them, just learned quick to change the hooks and snap rings. My dad,brother,and coworkers buy some of those bass sized baits. It's a gamble, if it's a hard bait and available in a multi pack than buy the mult pack. Some perform great, some leak, some jerks and cranks don't run well, some spinning topwater baits don't have solid enough wire and arrive a little bent or get bent on a hit. As far as plastics go, most are good and a few are waay too hard, and a few are waaay too soft. One thing seems consistent I'd say, low carbon steel, soft flexible hooks and components that rust quick. I didn't look at components but did see amazing prices for Tungsten bullet weights.
Overall, if your tossing that bait anyways, can't hurt to try at those prices. Some great starter pack options for beginners available. Plus, having a sacrificial bait collection for some water certainly is beneficial.

Terrific response, thanks. Makes complete sense that most of it is junk. I ordered a set of the Ploppers, stay tuned for a report. But I bought something else and check this...

I live on a huge lake and there are channel cats way bigger than my golden retriever. At the nearby marina there are three 3 docks and each has a fish cleaning station where, during the summer, fishermen drop offal. LOTS, every day. Most are remains of bass, and many of those heads are as big as my fist. I just know for sure, feel it deep down, that huge catfish live down under those fish cleaning stations. Oh, it's 30' deep under the station on my dock.

I bought this crazy fish trap (see pic) off of Temu for like $9. It holds a rod under spring tension and when triggered the rod snaps from parallel to the water to perpendicular to the water. And man be careful, this thing is like setting a jaw trap. It's "lose your eye" powerful. Come summer, some big moon night, I'm going to use it to drop a live bluegill down under the station. Eat some mushrooms, drink some Stellas, do some star gazing strum the guitar until SNAP! and it will be on!

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(fish trap 1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments fish trap 1.jpg (90KB - 13 downloads)
7.62xJay
Posted 1/31/2024 9:54 PM (#1026072 - in reply to #1025909)

That's pretty wild man. If ya got more than one I'd strongly recommend taking a bag of shelled pistachios down to your dock as well. Set one of them rod holders up backwards and launch pistachios at your lakeside neighbors.
Solitario Lupo
Posted 2/1/2024 10:52 AM (#1026080 - in reply to #1025909)

I got two of those automatic rod hookers. Use them for carps and cats. They work but sometimes it will miss. Also the line goes under that arm and if you do not set it right the line will snap up and catch under the reel missing and snapping your line on them big fish. It will take a couple tries to figure out but I put my bail on the other side of handle put line around arm then come back up with the line sitting on the circle part of bail where line comes off. Also keep your line tight maybe a little slack when setting them up. Good luck I love them as I sit and when I hear a snap it’s on.
North of 8
Posted 2/1/2024 11:08 AM (#1026081 - in reply to #1026080)

Ranger, I was in Seward, AK a few years ago and they have fish cleaning stations complete with a grinder on their dock. Guys were cleaning silvers and halibut, guts and skeleton went into the grinder and down to the water below. There was a big silver salmon contest going on at the time. The cab driver that took us from the motel to the bus terminal told how his young son would fish under that dock when the silvers were running and did real well. Owners of the charter boats tried to ban fishing from the dock because guys would see these kids catching nice silvers right from the dock and wonder if was worth spending hundreds of dollars on a half day charter.
There were other fish under there as well but kids catching silvers like that were what ticked off the charter captains.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)