Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Bladebaits: solid wire or “hinged” split ring style

Message Subject: Bladebaits: solid wire or “hinged” split ring style
Skibum
Posted 12/29/2023 9:16 AM (#1025446)
Subject: Bladebaits: solid wire or “hinged” split ring style

Happy new year to all! It’s lure buying, tinkering season. My question is, do folks see any pros/cons with fish catching results, by using a solid wire shaft bucktail (showgirl etc.) vs what I’m calling a split ring hinged bucktail (mepps). I recall Dick Pearson commented on some differences. Ie. Any unique triggering advantages to one over the other style. Thanks!
chuckski
Posted 12/29/2023 9:33 AM (#1025447 - in reply to #1025446)
Subject: Re: Bladebaits: solid wire or “hinged” split ring style

??? Not sure, but a lot of Muskies were and are caught on Mepps along with Cowgirls. On pressured fish it could make a difference one way or another.
ToddM
Posted 12/31/2023 1:12 PM (#1025474 - in reply to #1025446)

With the hinged bait you can get more bounce in the tail. With the double ten vibrax the tinsel will suck into the blades causing a momentary interruption with the blades. You can also add a weight to the hinge and as is the case with the double 8 mepps the blades tick it. Both styles work the straight wire baits cast better.

Edited by ToddM 12/31/2023 1:14 PM
Stevo
Posted 12/31/2023 1:16 PM (#1025475 - in reply to #1025446)
Subject: RE: Bladebaits: solid wire or “hinged” split ring style

One advantage of a split ring is that it allows the hook to be replaced say after wear from rocks or from cutting to remove from a badly hooked fish.

A split ring can also reduces some of the leverage the fish has against the wire shaft and weight of the bait by allowing more range of motion.

That said, I ussually put heat shrink tubing over the split ring treble hook shank junction to keep the hook from jack knifing on the drop to depth or on pauses in the retrieve. The heat shrink helps prevent fouling on the cast too, but is not so rigid that it makes the bait act as a lever.
mikie
Posted 1/2/2024 1:26 PM (#1025505 - in reply to #1025446)

Pls check out Mr. P's treatise on 'bouncers'. m

https://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/board/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=14...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)