Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Muskie Boats and Motors -> Lund Predator 2010 Motor Height

Reply New post
Message Subject: Lund Predator 2010 Motor Height
Mikeg
Posted 12/11/2023 9:51 AM (#1025115)
Subject: Lund Predator 2010 Motor Height

I recently purchased a 2013 Lund Predator 2010 with a 225 Optimax Pro XS. Fully loaded with kicker and an aftermarket windshield the boat just gets up to 50mph, which I'm find with but I'm noticing that that I can fully trim the motor out at WOT and I'm not hitting the point of where you start to lose speed like on other boats. RPMs are slightly 5500 with a 21P prop.

Looking at the motor, the plate above the prop is definitely below the bottom of the boat by an inch or so when both are leveled out. Motor is on the top mount hole but at some point in time it was on the 2nd hole (you can see the paint scuffed from the bolt).

From everything I've been reading it clearly needs to be raised but I'm not 100% certain as to what I'm looking to make certain its 'correct'. Would the goal be to get it to a point that at WOT I can over trim it and star to lose speed/porpoise?

sworrall
Posted 12/12/2023 8:38 AM (#1025131 - in reply to #1025115)
Subject: Re: Lund Predator 2010 Motor Height

If the RMS are correct, the boat performs as expected for speed, and the rpop is not blowing out I'd say leave it. If someone had it on the second hole and moved it back down, that's a tell.
VMS
Posted 12/12/2023 9:58 AM (#1025137 - in reply to #1025115)

Hiya,

I would agree that if the motor was dropped that is definitely a tell. In most situations that I am familiar with, the motor is usually mounted 1 hole off the transom, which puts the anti-ventilation plate somewhere close to the bottom of the hull. That is very standard for rigging as it is a nice set-up for the average joe looking to just get out there and fish, and not mess with the set-up...it gives a good position for both handling and satisfactory speed.

Now...if you are looking to try and tweak a little more out of your rig, raising the motor up 2 - 3 holes can be beneficial for speed, but there also is a compromise in handling. The key is finding what you want your rig to do. With a good prop, I believe you could raise your motor 3 bolt holes, which would get the anti ventilation plate skimming above the water line just a touch and you should be able to trim at speed to the point the prop begins to ventilate (higher rpms without gain in speed), or the boat will begin to porpoise. When that happens, trim back just a touch to settle the bow or stop the ventilation.

A good position to be in is when you can make a moderate turn at trim and the prop will not blow out. On a more aggressive turn, trimming down is a good thing to let the boat carve the turn.

With your motor, I believe the High end Throttle range is 5500 to 6000, so getting closer to that 6000 range when it is just you and your gear is optimal. Raising the motor will gain you around 300 rpm with the current prop, given it is a good one..my guess is you might have a tempest or mirage on it. If I may ask...what prop do you have on it?

I believe you have room to go up... the boat literally makes a hole in the water and it starts filling in immediately. If your ventilation plate is below that line, I think there is more you can get out of it.

No matter what you do, though, there is a compromise...want handling? you sacrifice speed. Want speed? you sacrifice handling. That is the beauty of trim, though... you can trim down for turns and back up for speed. And...if you really wanted to have adjustment capabilities, a small hydraulic jackplate gives you all options and you can really dial in on the go.

My instinct says if you want to play around a bit with motor height, you might find you can get some more out of the rig.

Steve

Edited by VMS 12/12/2023 10:00 AM
Mikeg
Posted 12/14/2023 11:20 AM (#1025190 - in reply to #1025115)

Thank you for the reply guys.

Prop is a Tempest Plus 3 blade 21P.

Other than turning is there any other performance compromise that would occur? Most of my time is going to be spent in the 30-40mph range since the boat cruises nicely there and doesn't burn through fuel as badly. Is moving 1 hole (or 2) going to have much of an impact on how the bow rides? I'm assuming the added drag lowers the boat it the water when it rides, will it have a noticeable impact on where the water gets displaced with the bow to the point it will change where its thrown? I would not be opposed to the water being moved back a little bit so it doesn't catch wind gusts/gets blown into the cockpit as much.
VMS
Posted 12/14/2023 12:49 PM (#1025194 - in reply to #1025115)

Short answer is maybe. With the lower unit so far in the water, you are definitely increasing the amount of drag, and it also can affect how much the boat sits in the water as well. With Deep V hulls, it may not be as noticeable as compared to boats with a literal pad they ride on (like a bass boat)

My experience with this was in my old 17 foot Alumacraft Navigator with a 90 hp motor on it. when I raised the motor, the whole boat would ride higher as I was able to turn more rpms. That had a tipping point, though, where going too high and the prop just could not hold the boat up because too much air was being introduced to the prop fins.

In your situation, and using the tempest propeller, you can definitely try moving the motor up. I'd say go all out and put it at the highest position. I'm anticipating you will see the bow stay down on holeshot (and holeshot will be faster), and you would have to trim down a touch for moderate turns, just to let the bow carve the turn more.

I would not be surprised you would see another 300 rpm or so, which will help the prop hold the bow up better as well. Many times, an over-pitched motor will porpoise as the rpms are not high enough to hold the bow up, so trimming down is what ends up happening, and the boat can be a bit sluggish because of it.

If the tempest blows out when you try to trim up, It may be an indicator of needing a 4 blade, or it may just be a matter of rearranging where things are in the boat (lighten the bow weight).

If for some reason you look to try a 4 blade, the Rev4 would be solid prop to try...it is essentially the 4-blade version of the tempest you have...but you would most likely want to come down in pitch by 2 inches as the extra blade increases surface area on the water...more surface area = slower.

The hull design of the Lund series should allow it to run high on the water with a hull style that is not quite a reverse chine (so to speak) on the outside edges of the hull (hull bends back toward the water)..this is a very stable ride as well as when fishing.

In the end...it's find the compromise... a motor height that gives you the top end you like, yet still have the handling capabilities you need in various conditions. The right combination will have the boat floating along at cruising speeds without too much effort in turns...

Steve

Edited by VMS 12/14/2023 1:00 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)