Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Any suggestions on when in May to go to Cave Run .

Message Subject: Any suggestions on when in May to go to Cave Run .
Fishbrain47
Posted 11/26/2023 11:07 PM (#1024857)
Subject: Any suggestions on when in May to go to Cave Run .

Last time I went to Cave Run was in May, 2010, just enough time passed to basically forget the little I knew about when, where, how, and with what to fish for muskies. I fished the open shoreline and the flats back then but since reading a bit, I've learned the coves and the old river channel and river mouths might be better spots. I spent a day on either the Licking or Green River and some time on Zilpo flats with a guide and lost one decent musky on the river and had a musky attack my 12" "rubber octopus"(?) as it dangled, a foot above the water, behind me on the lake. That #*^@ fish scared the bejesus out of me. I guess I gotta love him for his attitude!

I lived in both upstate NY and Minnesota and fished mostly for smallies and northern pike. Now I live in swampy Florida where the local obsession is swatting mosquitos and out-running gators and pythons. I'm a 76 yr old geezer on his last extended solo fishing trip through the Appalacians and Adirondacks of NY while I still can do it with my trusty 16ft Crestliner Kodiak side console. My wife's happy I'm still willing enough to do 60 days in a tent and enjoy it. Crazy might be a better word.

I don't know what last May's temperatures, weather conditions, and water levels were like or what to do if I did. There are a lot of things to consider so any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. I’m always eager to read useful info whenever I find it.
I also plan to call Crash’s Landing and The Pro Shop for some advice as well.

Edited by Fishbrain47 11/27/2023 7:14 AM
mikie
Posted 12/1/2023 9:29 AM (#1024931 - in reply to #1024857)
Subject: Re: Any suggestions on when in May to go to Cave Run .

May isn't a bad choice. Early March is my favorite time with rattlebaits and such, and April brings the spawn and the PMTT.
Another good source: http://www.kymuskie.com/
m
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)