Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Let's Talk Gloves

Message Subject: Let's Talk Gloves
Slamr
Posted 11/1/2023 9:58 AM (#1024502)
Subject: Let's Talk Gloves

Maybe I'm getting wimpier in my older years, but I'm finding more and more getting ready to deal with the fall cold is just as important as dealing with where the fish are!!!!

Personally, my hands get cold before anything else, therefore I focus on wearing and having extra gloves as the day progresses.

Below are some faves of mine, curious what everyone else is wearing to stay warm as the season gets colder!

Youngstown Gloves: good for about 3 hours in any weather. Fight a good fight against the water and ice, but hard to get back on after hands are wet:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000UJGYQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_...

Refridgiwear: surprisingly easy to cast in, super warm, deal with the water really well
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ODHHAJ0/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_ti...

MCTi Waterproof Ski Gloves: a little tougher to cast in, but super warm. Great option for "driving gloves" between spots but can be used for casting.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J7TIOR0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_...

Now if anyone has a suggestion on a zip up waterproof bag to leave under the console, much appreciated!!!
Masqui-ninja
Posted 11/1/2023 10:39 AM (#1024503 - in reply to #1024502)
Subject: Re: Let's Talk Gloves

My go to is 3 pair of fingerless wool gloves, and an oversized pair of choppers to warm the fingers back up every so often...or when running the boat. Same for ice fishing. I just store them in a gallon zip lock bag.

Another trick is to get some exercise wrist bands and put hand warmers inside, on the inside of your wrists. It's amazing how this keeps bare fingers warm all day.

Of course, a good boot dryer at night is worth it's weight in gold drying out boots AND gloves.
ToddM
Posted 11/1/2023 11:28 AM (#1024504 - in reply to #1024502)

Ice armor ice fishing gloves. Bulky but I've learned to fast with them no issues.

One of the keys is to keep your core very warm. Most often it's my palming hand that gets cold as the reel acts as a heat sink.

I also refrain from using release gloves. They hold water and suck all the heat out and it can become difficult to get them off.
North of 8
Posted 11/1/2023 11:34 AM (#1024505 - in reply to #1024504)

Just a note on the fingerless wool gloves: I had a hard time finding but L&M fleet supply had them and very reasonably priced.
southern comfort
Posted 11/1/2023 11:53 AM (#1024506 - in reply to #1024502)

I second the notion that keeping hands and feet warm starts with keeping your core warm. I have found that Stormyr and Sealskinz gloves have worked great for me. I also like that their fingertips have coatings so your braid isn't damaging them when casting. Finally I use oversize wool mittens to stick my hands with gloves on when I am not casting.
gimruis
Posted 11/1/2023 12:27 PM (#1024507 - in reply to #1024506)

No gloves for this guy. Can't stand them while I'm casting. I much prefer the feel of the rod and reel on my bare hands.

If I'm trolling I'll use gloves, or when I'm moving from point A to point B.

Never understood the concept of fingerless gloves. Kind of defeats the purpose, since fingers are the portion that gets wet and cold anyways.
Slamr
Posted 11/1/2023 1:07 PM (#1024508 - in reply to #1024507)

To those who don't need gloves...my hands envy yours.
chuckski
Posted 11/1/2023 3:11 PM (#1024509 - in reply to #1024502)

I wear a thin wool or maybe part wool glove liner (this is a full glove) on my griping hand and a Rag Wool fingerless glove on my reeling hand. When driving between spots or pulling baits I wear Joka Therm Ice Fishing Mittens, if I have a hit I flick them off like a Hockey Player going to a rumble.
nar160
Posted 11/1/2023 4:46 PM (#1024510 - in reply to #1024502)

I use Striker Ice stealth gloves. I think they work pretty good - lots of dexterity, certainly no problem casting. If my hands get cold I put them in my pockets (with the gloves on) and that usually does the trick. They aren't water proof forever - I have 3 pairs and swap as needed. Not cheap, but if you watch for sales before or after ice season, you can get them for a lot less than retail.
TCESOX
Posted 11/1/2023 5:15 PM (#1024511 - in reply to #1024502)

I too, use the Striker Ice Stealth gloves. They have been great for the last two years. Prior to that, I used Glacier Gloves that have the hinges on the thumb and index finger tips. They were pretty decent, but they were getting really old and worn out. I also keep about three or four different kinds of gloves and mittens in the boat and the truck. I figure you can never have too many pairs of gloves and mittens.

https://strikerbrands.com/collections/mens-gloves/products/stealth-g...
muskymartin67
Posted 11/1/2023 6:45 PM (#1024513 - in reply to #1024502)

Kast steelhead gloves

Edited by muskymartin67 11/1/2023 6:50 PM
chuckski
Posted 11/1/2023 7:24 PM (#1024514 - in reply to #1024502)

Sometimes you have to spend some $$$ to stay warm, for my last trip I bought some high end long underwear bottoms and the next time I go to Cabela's I'm buying the matching top.
Stevo
Posted 11/1/2023 10:41 PM (#1024515 - in reply to #1024502)
Subject: RE: Let's Talk Gloves

For winter fishing, I wear a pair of 7mm nitrile gloves under a pair of low bulk Simms Windstopper Polartec fingerless gloves. The nitrile gloves keep your fingers dry which really helps maintain warmth if there is any type of wind especially if wet, while still maintaining good touch.

If it is really cold I will slip one disposable toe warmer on the back of each hand in between the nitrile gloves and the Polartec gloves. They can't be under the nitrile because they need oxygen to heat. They also don't do well if submerged and they get wet, so slip them out if you can before dunking them.

This set up works well. It also helps to have extra nitrile gloves as they can tear inadvertently. I avoid the 9mm nitrile even though they are more durable. They are just too fatiguing on the hand all day. As for 5mm nitrile, too thin and they tear too easily.

And lastly, and old style catalyst and lighter fluid hand warmer does a good job of warming fingers, that no matter what the gloves, have just gotten cold.
7.62xJay
Posted 11/2/2023 12:12 AM (#1024516 - in reply to #1024507)

gimruis - 11/1/2023 12:27 PM

No gloves for this guy. Can't stand them while I'm casting. I much prefer the feel of the rod and reel on my bare hands.

Never understood the concept of fingerless gloves. Kind of defeats the purpose, since fingers are the portion that gets wet and cold anyways.

U dealing with frozen eyelets where your at? I can't believe your casting gloveless in 30degree ranges.
Whole point of fingerless is your insulating your blood that much further transferring warmer blood to your un insulated digits, while maintaining higher feeling and dexterity, say for casting, bait changes,or opening your snack.

Anywho, somebody last year talked about disposable nitriles+fingerless wool+foot warmers on the wrist. That was my ticket, thank you. I do keep an assortment of cheap rubber dipped insulateds with me as well. But rarely put em on
ToddM
Posted 11/2/2023 8:18 AM (#1024518 - in reply to #1024502)

I am going to try the nitrile gloves this year. I do think they will make a bigger difference.
North of 8
Posted 11/2/2023 8:36 AM (#1024520 - in reply to #1024516)

7.62xJay - 11/2/2023 12:12 AM

gimruis - 11/1/2023 12:27 PM

U dealing with frozen eyelets where your at? I can't believe your casting gloveless in 30degree ranges.
Whole point of fingerless is your insulating your blood that much further transferring warmer blood to your un insulated digits, while maintaining higher feeling and dexterity, say for casting, bait changes,or opening your snack.

Anywho, somebody last year talked about disposable nitriles+fingerless wool+foot warmers on the wrist. That was my ticket, thank you. I do keep an assortment of cheap rubber dipped insulateds with me as well. But rarely put em on

I had the same thoughts about gloveless. Yesterday it was 15 degrees here in N. WI when I got up. I have fished when it was not much warmer and not only had frozen eyelets but the reels actually froze up eventually, to the point where I was reduced to drifting with a sucker over the side. Just holding on to a metal reel at 20-25 degrees can be painful after a short time without gloves. Reality is that 10 degrees difference in temperature when it is cold makes a huge difference.
CincySkeez
Posted 11/2/2023 10:30 AM (#1024523 - in reply to #1024520)

Used to love the Simms Pro Dry, but last season switched to Wells Lamont HydraHyde leather gloves. Wear them everyday at work and they are darn nice for fishing once you break them in a bit

https://www.wellslamont.com/product/hydrahyde-split-leather-adjustab...
ThedockisIN
Posted 11/2/2023 1:33 PM (#1024524 - in reply to #1024502)

Mittens will keep your hands warmer than gloves because the fingers can give heat to each other. I wear merino wool socks. When the toes give out, I cut the tops off, cut an offset 1-inch thumb hole in the sock. The offset makes a difference. If it is really cold. The long part covers the fingers, and the wrist is not covered as much. You can turn that around if you want more finger exposure. The sock top doesn't know left from right. I have a waterproof box with about 40 sock tops to put on a dry one whenever. Merino is warm when it is wet too. Fingertips and thumb are exposed for good touch. An alternative is the wool insert liner we put into Chopper mitts. Cut the end off and the tip of the thumb off.

Greg Ide
Only person to register muskies in both of the 2022 TC Metro Tournaments. I'm #1
2rjs
Posted 11/2/2023 2:43 PM (#1024526 - in reply to #1024502)

I use the Simm Polartec Windstopper fleece fingerless gloves the most. I will also have several cheap pair of White River Fleece fingerless gloves on board for when my Simms get too wet to wear. I have been pondering purchasing Simms Gortex foldover mitt for really cold days. Would probably only wear it on my palming hand since its usually the problem.
gimruis
Posted 11/2/2023 2:51 PM (#1024527 - in reply to #1024516)

7.62xJay - 11/2/2023 12:12 AM

I don't fish when its 30 degrees out. I do regularly fish when its about 40 degrees though, no gloves. Same when I'm hunting. I can operate a gun much easier without them I prefer to hold it bare handed for feel.

There was a guy at my deer camp years ago that literally NEVER wore any gloves. I can recall it being at or below zero more than once and he still never had anything on his hands. I asked him once "no gloves?" and he looked at me and said "what for?" That was the end of that.
North of 8
Posted 11/2/2023 3:50 PM (#1024528 - in reply to #1024527)

For deer hunting from a stand, I have an insulated muff that has a zippered pocket for heat pouches. That way my hands stay warm all day but are bare when I shoot. Started using it when I lived in the snow belt of the U.P. Would not be super cold but seemed to snow all the time and trying to keep your gloves snow free was an issue.
nar160
Posted 11/3/2023 12:11 PM (#1024538 - in reply to #1024527)

gimruis - 11/2/2023 2:51 PM

I don't fish when its 30 degrees out. I do regularly fish when its about 40 degrees though, no gloves. Same when I'm hunting. I can operate a gun much easier without them I prefer to hold it bare handed for feel.

Of course, not going out is also a way to keep your hands warm in cold weather.

I mostly don't wear gloves while casting at 40 either. It's really down around freezing and below where it becomes a real problem. I find it difficult to cast for any significant amount of time without gloves in 20-30 degrees.
happy hooker
Posted 11/5/2023 7:41 AM (#1024563 - in reply to #1024538)

I've posted this before but this combination absolutely works warm and dry
100% works!!
Go to home depot,loews ,Menards etc and get their all rubber gloves not the little surgical one but the ones that go up past you wrist, for lack of a better discription the better ones have some fuzz inside that is warmer.
Get them bigger then normal
Then
Go get a pair of wool "mid weight" gloves don't get the heavy weight ones they will be to tight inside the rubber ones,,,whenever buying wool gloves look at the content/ percentage of wool the higher the content the warmer they are,,Fox river makes good ones,
The combination of all rubber totally waterproof outer gloves combined with wool inner ones for warmth is perfect
This 100% works,,using it for years
happy hooker
Posted 11/5/2023 7:48 AM (#1024564 - in reply to #1024563)

Also dudes,,,
I was talking to a very knowledgeable and well traveled fly fisherman that travels the world and he said the perfect fishing gloves can be found in the surfing community.
Totally!!!
He says they are 100% perfect for fishing and flexible enough to tie on flys he gets them from surf shops out west they are for winter surfers.
You might try researching this area I know I will and maybe come up with something tubular.
Hang 10
North of 8
Posted 11/5/2023 7:56 AM (#1024565 - in reply to #1024564)

happy hooker - 11/5/2023 7:48 AM

Also dudes,,,
I was talking to a very knowledgeable and well traveled fly fisherman that travels the world and he said the perfect fishing gloves can be found in the surfing community.
Totally!!!
He says they are 100% perfect for fishing and flexible enough to tie on flys he gets them from surf shops out west they are for winter surfers.
You might try researching this area I know I will and maybe come up with something tubular.
Hang 10

Interesting idea. For those in Eastern WI, the EOS surf shop in Sheboygan is having an end of season sale and their website shows quite a variety of gloves on sale. (Sheboygan is the great lakes surfing hot spot)
Fishkabible
Posted 11/7/2023 3:06 PM (#1024612 - in reply to #1024513)

Kast stealhead gloves. Best gloves hands down IMO

Edited by Fishkabible 11/7/2023 3:09 PM
BillM
Posted 11/7/2023 5:23 PM (#1024614 - in reply to #1024612)

Fishkabible - 11/7/2023 4:06 PM

Kast stealhead gloves. Best gloves hands down IMO

I've been fishing steelhead for a long time. I got a pair of these when they first came out and promptly returned them. Might be good for muskie fishing but they're garbage for steelhead fishing lol!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)