Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Calming a fish down in boat

Message Subject: Calming a fish down in boat
Muskie101
Posted 9/25/2023 5:36 AM (#1023823)
Subject: Calming a fish down in boat

Just had a 34" pike not make it yesterday after thrashing around in the boat and still feel terrible but was wondering about tricks to calm them down to hold them

already going to invest in a cradle

Maybe a fish board though i keep a 30ft tape in my tackle box

Edited by Muskie101 9/25/2023 6:03 AM
jdsplasher
Posted 9/25/2023 6:38 AM (#1023825 - in reply to #1023823)
Subject: RE: Calming a fish down in boat

The utmost healthiest way to release a fish is to just turn the net inside out. Get a floating ruler and get a close measure of fish in the net. 
Bringing fish in the boat many times results in bumps and bruises, slime removed, and scales missing.

If you want to get an accurate measure on a giant, a bump board, or cradle ruler is best.

Years ago, for a water release, we use to turn fish upside down in water. Fish stopped thrashing, But rarely do that anymore.
 JD
Muskie101
Posted 9/25/2023 7:49 AM (#1023827 - in reply to #1023825)

jdsplasher - 9/25/2023 7:38 AM

The utmost healthiest way to release a fish is to just turn the net inside out. Get a floating ruler and get a close measure of fish in the net. 
Bringing fish in the boat many times results in bumps and bruises, slime removed, and scales missing.

If you want to get an accurate measure on a giant, a bump board, or cradle ruler is best.

Years ago, for a water release, we use to turn fish upside down in water. Fish stopped thrashing, But rarely do that anymore.
 JD

So turning the fish upside down in the water helps calm them down thank you will have to try forgot about that idea after an incident with a trout and 1 with a salmon

Also i know the covering the eyes without touching them doesnt seem to work as well

Edited by Muskie101 9/25/2023 7:53 AM
IAJustin
Posted 9/25/2023 8:01 AM (#1023828 - in reply to #1023823)
Subject: Re: Calming a fish down in boat

Good post by JD, couple other things; invest in a big deep net rubber coated net if you don’t have one, this couple hundred dollar investment will last 10+ years, and becomes a live well for every fish you catch… it’s crazy to me how many guys out there have a couple thousand dollars of rods, reels and baits… and then a total crap $80-100 net. Secondly, if you haven’t handled a bunch of esox, I’d suggest you where a glove (even if you have not a bad idea), you need to control the fish and keep the fish close to edge of the water, if the fish popcorn’s out of you hands it should land in the lake not the bottom of the boat. And yes if you want to measure fish occasionally, make or buy a bump board, better yet get a floating ruler, not sure what you plan to do with a 30’ tape? Laying a fish on the bottom of the boat or holding vertical and trying to use tape measure will both potentially lead to more fish dying. If you keep them in the water in your huge net, measure in water, pull out of water net quick pictures, release… the entire process of the fishes head out of water should be less than 30 seconds, do these things and 99%+. Will live to fight for the next guy….Best of luck!
kap
Posted 9/25/2023 8:24 AM (#1023829 - in reply to #1023823)

i agree with the previos posts. keeping the fish in the net in the water is calming for the fish it realizes its trapped and calms.
now when you got to remove hooks it may try thrashing. it is usally best to slide your hand under the gill plate pressing your thumb firmly on the outer side of the gill plate to hold the fish as this clams it down to and then remove the hooks and realease it back in the net and it will just sit there. the more you do it the more comfortable you will be and so will the fish.
Muskie101
Posted 9/25/2023 8:37 AM (#1023830 - in reply to #1023828)

IAJustin - 9/25/2023 9:01 AM

Good post by JD, couple other things; invest in a big deep net rubber coated net if you don’t have one, this couple hundred dollar investment will last 10+ years, and becomes a live well for every fish you catch… it’s crazy to me how many guys out there have a couple thousand dollars of rods, reels and baits… and then a total crap $80-100 net. Secondly, if you haven’t handled a bunch of esox, I’d suggest you where a glove (even if you have not a bad idea), you need to control the fish and keep the fish close to edge of the water, if the fish popcorn’s out of you hands it should land in the lake not the bottom of the boat. And yes if you want to measure fish occasionally, make or buy a bump board, better yet get a floating ruler, not sure what you plan to do with a 30’ tape? Laying a fish on the bottom of the boat or holding vertical and trying to use tape measure will both potentially lead to more fish dying. If you keep them in the water in your huge net, measure in water, pull out of water net quick pictures, release… the entire process of the fishes head out of water should be less than 30 seconds, do these things and 99%+. Will live to fight for the next guy….Best of luck!

Ok let it rest in the net for a few and while unhooking it if the water is rough would it be better to unhook it and let it breathe in the livewell
in between doing everything

Edited by Muskie101 9/25/2023 8:40 AM
RJ_692
Posted 9/25/2023 9:05 AM (#1023832 - in reply to #1023823)

pike are the worst. small and hard to get a hold of with a musky lure in their face. keep in the net and unhook that way if you can. i started bringing a normal size net as well. had a couple of these buggers over the weekend and they are squirrely.

as for the fish dying. that is going to happen. no shame in that. many years ago i had a mid thirties inch musky actually jump at the side of the boat and somehow made it into the boat thrashing around with a 10" Suick in its mouth. It didnt make it. It happens. Do your best and move on.
Muskie101
Posted 9/25/2023 9:12 AM (#1023833 - in reply to #1023832)

RJ_692 - 9/25/2023 10:05 AM

pike are the worst. small and hard to get a hold of with a musky lure in their face. keep in the net and unhook that way if you can. i started bringing a normal size net as well. had a couple of these buggers over the weekend and they are squirrely.

as for the fish dying. that is going to happen. no shame in that. many years ago i had a mid thirties inch musky actually jump at the side of the boat and somehow made it into the boat thrashing around with a 10" Suick in its mouth. It didnt make it. It happens. Do your best and move on.

Ok i know i like to weigh the fish measure length & girth & get photo but dont want it to die

Also it wasn't my boat or net though the net was big enough to handle
mikie
Posted 9/25/2023 9:16 AM (#1023834 - in reply to #1023823)

An old guide I fished with in Tennessee kept a bent seat post in front of the boat, called it his 'pacifier' m
Solitario Lupo
Posted 9/25/2023 10:55 AM (#1023837 - in reply to #1023823)

I always leave the fish in the net if I want a pic I’ll do it real quick so it never touches ground or boat. If I measure it’s usually still in the water. Use the net as a live well.

Edited by Solitario Lupo 9/25/2023 10:57 AM
IAJustin
Posted 9/25/2023 12:03 PM (#1023839 - in reply to #1023830)

Muskie101 - 9/25/2023 8:37 AM

IAJustin - 9/25/2023 9:01 AM

Ok let it rest in the net for a few and while unhooking it if the water is rough would it be better to unhook it and let it breathe in the livewell
in between doing everything

I'm personally not a believer in putting fish I want to release in a livewell, pike that ive wanted to keep for lunch beat themselves up running into the walls pretty quickly, and the water in the lake will be "better" than putting a relatively small amount of water in a confined space...you should have a mental clock of what 15 seconds is. Sometime removing hooks can be a challenge...priority should always be keep the fishes head in the water as much as possible, so if you attempt to unhook for 15 seconds and dont have the hooks out put them back into the net, let them breath for 30 seconds...while you stop and think what you need to do..often its cut hooks if you couldn't unhook a fish in 15 seconds.

Edited by IAJustin 9/25/2023 12:06 PM
CincySkeez
Posted 9/25/2023 12:08 PM (#1023841 - in reply to #1023839)

Yes, the whole revive tank just results in more opportunity for harmful handling.
chuckski
Posted 9/25/2023 12:52 PM (#1023843 - in reply to #1023823)

First thing do not fight a fish to exhaustion or the other extreme horse a fish. If you catch a small Muskie, Pike, Walleye, or Smallmouth bring it to the boat unhook it in the water. If it's a little larger fish put a glove on and grab your line to hold the fish away from the side of the boat (this way it keeps the fish from hitting it's head on the side of the boat and I've had Spinnerbaits snapped in two by boat contact) If it's a larger fish and you want a picture and measurement net it and leave it in the net in the water. Unhook it hold it for your picture then measure it after your picture. And if it's not a monster don't try for a exact measurement. If you net it and set the fish on the bottom of boat in the net you are asking for trouble.
C_Nelson
Posted 9/26/2023 12:12 AM (#1023853 - in reply to #1023823)

A few things you can do. 1) if the fish is smaller, a .22 in the head before entering the boat. 2) if the fish is larger, a 410 in the head before entering the boat. If you are not a gun enthusiast, then have a fish Billy club handy and smack it between the eyes upon entering the boat. Proper use of the Billy club is straddling the head at about the gills and pin it to the floor before hitting it. Be sure you do not hit your nuts by accident. All boats within a 2 mile radius will hear you after this happens and give away your fishing spot. It is not advised to allow a fellow angler who has been drinking to strike at the fish while you are in the straddling position either as you may end up getting hit in the head AND nuts as they wildly swing at the fish.

A thumb in one eye socket and middle finger in other eye socket also allows for secure handling. The use of those two fingers plays into the strength of one's hand and grip. The eye shots usually settle them down pretty quickly too. Just be sure to rinse the eye jelly off of your fingers prior to returning to fishing. It can cause slippery hands and the loss of a rod.

Edited by C_Nelson 9/26/2023 12:41 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Screenshot_20230926_000026_Chrome.jpg)

(Screenshot_20230926_000000_Chrome.jpg)

(Screenshot_20230926_000108_Chrome.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Screenshot_20230926_000026_Chrome.jpg (26KB - 26 downloads)
Attachments Screenshot_20230926_000000_Chrome.jpg (28KB - 25 downloads)
Attachments Screenshot_20230926_000108_Chrome.jpg (40KB - 25 downloads)
Muskie101
Posted 9/26/2023 6:10 AM (#1023855 - in reply to #1023853)

C_Nelson - 9/26/2023 1:12 AM

A few things you can do. 1) if the fish is smaller, a .22 in the head before entering the boat. 2) if the fish is larger, a 410 in the head before entering the boat. If you are not a gun enthusiast, then have a fish Billy club handy and smack it between the eyes upon entering the boat. Proper use of the Billy club is straddling the head at about the gills and pin it to the floor before hitting it. Be sure you do not hit your nuts by accident. All boats within a 2 mile radius will hear you after this happens and give away your fishing spot. It is not advised to allow a fellow angler who has been drinking to strike at the fish while you are in the straddling position either as you may end up getting hit in the head AND nuts as they wildly swing at the fish.

A thumb in one eye socket and middle finger in other eye socket also allows for secure handling. The use of those two fingers plays into the strength of one's hand and grip. The eye shots usually settle them down pretty quickly too. Just be sure to rinse the eye jelly off of your fingers prior to returning to fishing. It can cause slippery hands and the loss of a rod.

I dont want to hurt or kill the fish

BillM
Posted 9/26/2023 8:53 AM (#1023857 - in reply to #1023823)

I find for pike the best hold is pressing your thumb and forefinger on either side of the gill plate. This goes for snot rockets all the way up to 40+in big girls.
mikie
Posted 9/26/2023 8:58 AM (#1023858 - in reply to #1023823)

They had to outlaw shooting of muskies in Kentucky; folks were waiting til the fish was in the boat and that caused problems. m
muskymartin67
Posted 9/26/2023 11:53 AM (#1023861 - in reply to #1023823)

I think C Nelson was being sarcastic because if you measure girth and weigh every fish you catch prior to taking a pic you essentially are killing many of these fish, by overhandling and keeping them out of the water too long, I have never girthed or weighed a fish, and have 4 over 50" also I dont bother with bumping smaller 30ish fish. So for your case a quick pic and bump measure is more than enough handling, then back in the water is the best technique
chuckski
Posted 9/26/2023 12:43 PM (#1023863 - in reply to #1023823)

Mr. Nelson's post was right on point in 1962. I love the sarcasm.
Muskie101
Posted 9/26/2023 4:35 PM (#1023866 - in reply to #1023861)

muskymartin67 - 9/26/2023 12:53 PM

I think C Nelson was being sarcastic because if you measure girth and weigh every fish you catch prior to taking a pic you essentially are killing many of these fish, by overhandling and keeping them out of the water too long, I have never girthed or weighed a fish, and have 4 over 50" also I dont bother with bumping smaller 30ish fish. So for your case a quick pic and bump measure is more than enough handling, then back in the water is the best technique

Just measure the pbs but would measuring while in water with net then letting sit in the water in between weighting and photo work or still over stress them and just stick to bump board
TCESOX
Posted 9/26/2023 4:50 PM (#1023867 - in reply to #1023866)

Muskie101 - 9/26/2023 4:35 PM

muskymartin67 - 9/26/2023 12:53 PM

Just measure the pbs but would measuring while in water with net then letting sit in the water in between weighting and photo work or still over stress them and just stick to bump board

Eliminate the weighing, and you are good to go.
muskymartin67
Posted 9/26/2023 7:30 PM (#1023869 - in reply to #1023823)

Unhook in the net- quick bump measure, a pic or 2 not 10 then release in that order is best. Taking them in and out of the net multiple times is very stressful and not to mention harmful to fish as you're splitting fins again and removing more scales and slime than necessary, also there's no reason to weigh a fish unless it's a potential record. There's weight estimate charts that are pretty close I'm sure you can find em online if you look

Edited by muskymartin67 9/26/2023 7:37 PM
ToddM
Posted 9/27/2023 8:17 AM (#1023879 - in reply to #1023823)

Get a net, not a cradle. Get a good gill hold on the fish. Sometimes they want to go, you can feel it. Put them back in the net or in the water at that point.

I've been told leaving fish upside down in the net is not good for them. It's not a natural position for fish unless they are dying.
chuckski
Posted 9/27/2023 8:58 AM (#1023881 - in reply to #1023823)

They don't like being upside down, If you release a fish and it's off to the side of the boat and is upside down, go over right it if you leave it upside down it will die. (when it's tired I don't think it can turn itself over.)
Muskie101
Posted 9/27/2023 4:07 PM (#1023892 - in reply to #1023881)

chuckski - 9/27/2023 9:58 AM

They don't like being upside down, If you release a fish and it's off to the side of the boat and is upside down, go over right it if you leave it upside down it will die. (when it's tired I don't think it can turn itself over.)

Ok thank you
K and M tackle
Posted 9/27/2023 6:44 PM (#1023894 - in reply to #1023823)

Removing of fish and while in the net to thrash around in the bottom of the boat will kill them. Hold your breath while you bang your head off of the boat the entire time the fish is doing that. Always leave the fish in the water no matter the species and get hooks out. Than pick fish up to take a picture or release.
Ranger
Posted 9/27/2023 9:06 PM (#1023896 - in reply to #1023823)

Picture this... you're leaning over the boatside while using tools to unhook the fish. When the fish thrashes what do you do with your hands? You jerk them up and out of the way of course. But what if, as you jerk your hands up and out, a needle-sharp hook catches you while the fish is still hooked? The fish will continue to thrash, the hook gets buried deeper. Now you are in trouble and you have only one hand to solve your problem.

See that black spot part way up my finger? That's from the hook point.

Get Lindy gloves. Put 'em on every time you unhook a fish, especially with smaller fish.

(hooked hand pic.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments hooked hand pic.jpg (8KB - 25 downloads)
IAJustin
Posted 9/27/2023 10:53 PM (#1023897 - in reply to #1023823)

Ranger that looks (and same story) almost identical to what happen to me this summer in Canada, I was attached to a 38" muskie, hours from any hospital I had my fishing partner grab the big pliers and yank as hard as he could... didn't come out! WTF!...we are both in panic mode...he's yellin , what do you want me to do? "HARDER AND FASTER YANK that SOB!!!" He's 6'3 gave it everything he had..thankfully came out second attempt ..my index finger was completely numb for the next 3-4 days. So yes wear a glove and be careful... First time in over 30 years of chasing esox I've been connect to a fish/hook buried to the shank ..not fun!
chuckski
Posted 9/28/2023 12:05 AM (#1023900 - in reply to #1023823)

Yes I've been hooked and had to remove hooks from friends too. it sucks! Both times were in Canada to boot!
Having the right gear helps but it happens especially in Canada where bunches of northerns come into play.
jdsplasher
Posted 9/28/2023 5:42 AM (#1023901 - in reply to #1023897)

IAJustin - 9/27/2023 10:53 PM Ranger that looks (and same story) almost identical to what happen to me this summer in Canada, I was attached to a 38" muskie, hours from any hospital I had my fishing partner grab the big pliers and yank as hard as he could... didn't come out! WTF!...we are both in panic mode...he's yellin , what do you want me to do? "HARDER AND FASTER YANK that SOB!!!" He's 6'3 gave it everything he had..thankfully came out second attempt ..my index finger was completely numb for the next 3-4 days. So yes wear a glove and be careful... First time in over 30 years of chasing esox I've been connect to a fish/hook buried to the shank ..not fun!

Ranger/ IA/ - Been there, done that years ago. Now, For Me, Lindy gloves go on Every Fish!!! Big Or Small!!!

One of My Pet Peeves is these big names in the industry, On TV, continue to educate These Newbies to the Sport of Musky Fishing, by picking up fish with bare Hands then Release the fish, Then Brag about their hands Bleeding. Dumb, Dumber!

Come on People…. Wear Gloves when Showing the General Public on Proper Handling….Sheesh!!!

JD

Edited by jdsplasher 9/28/2023 5:44 AM
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)