Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Night fishing advice

Message Subject: Night fishing advice
BillM
Posted 9/13/2023 9:10 AM (#1023631 - in reply to #1023630)
Subject: Re: Night fishing advice

7.62xJay - 9/13/2023 9:33 AM

But if they smoke another craft that doesn't have its nav lights on for whatever reason, it's the other crafts fault? I don't understand, because forward illumination would've told em they were there. Way I see it, both are at fault.
I guess I don't see where this line is getting blurred at.

Forward facing lights aren't a requirement on a boat though. So why would the guy obeying all laws who runs into the idiot without any lights on be at fault?
7.62xJay
Posted 9/13/2023 7:44 PM (#1023641 - in reply to #1023200)

I'm not a Judge Bill, I don't know. Let me phrase it this way. Somebody has battery issues, electric failure, is uneducated, is plain dumb, or anchored and jigging and doesn't flip on their navs on my approach because they're either annnebriated,stoned,tired,zoned out,asleep, or simply too slow.. If I hit them and kill them, is wether or not they had Nav lights on going to be a question in court? Yes. Am I going to be asked why I didn't see them and what speed I was traveling? Yes. Is there going to be a lack of evidence as to whether the victim had running navs on? Probably. Am in jail and pending a vehicular manslaughter charge? Yup. Regardless of how the trial goes are there still 2 totaled boats and 1 or more fatalities and medical bills? Yup.

I'm not saying that you gotta always have forward lighting. If your traveling at a responsible speed and your confident in the ambient lighting from the moon,stars, and light pollution. Than by all means stay blacked out and proceed with caution. My statements are directed towards the folks that blindly fly at night in hopes everybody else moves.

I don't know about you guys but I'd much rather take a beam of light to the head than a Bow.
RobertK
Posted 9/14/2023 9:18 AM (#1023643 - in reply to #1023200)

I never, ever run on plane at night. My personal speed limit at night is 10mph. I have an obligation to operate my boat safely at all times. If my vision is limited for any reason (darkness, fog, etc...) I need to slow down to increase my available reaction time.

Those that run without lights at night are breaking the law. You simply must make yourself visible at night. I don't care if you think it spooks the fish. No fish is worth getting your boat wrecked or losing your life. If your lights aren't working, leave the water. You are a hazard.
BillM
Posted 9/14/2023 9:57 AM (#1023644 - in reply to #1023641)

7.62xJay - 9/13/2023 8:44 PM

I'm not a Judge Bill, I don't know. Let me phrase it this way. Somebody has battery issues, electric failure, is uneducated, is plain dumb, or anchored and jigging and doesn't flip on their navs on my approach because they're either annnebriated,stoned,tired,zoned out,asleep, or simply too slow.. If I hit them and kill them, is wether or not they had Nav lights on going to be a question in court? Yes. Am I going to be asked why I didn't see them and what speed I was traveling? Yes. Is there going to be a lack of evidence as to whether the victim had running navs on? Probably. Am in jail and pending a vehicular manslaughter charge? Yup. Regardless of how the trial goes are there still 2 totaled boats and 1 or more fatalities and medical bills? Yup.

I'm not saying that you gotta always have forward lighting. If your traveling at a responsible speed and your confident in the ambient lighting from the moon,stars, and light pollution. Than by all means stay blacked out and proceed with caution. My statements are directed towards the folks that blindly fly at night in hopes everybody else moves.

I don't know about you guys but I'd much rather take a beam of light to the head than a Bow.

Yeah, I dont disagree. Out running any ambient light is scary. If I can't see, my speed doesn't go much higher then I'd be doing trolling for muskies I'll get there eventually lol.
BustedTip
Posted 9/24/2023 3:50 AM (#1023804 - in reply to #1023200)

7.62xJay I'm a bit late on the response, but as I understand it navigating with dock lights / spot light is illegal in WI unless being used for docking
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)