Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> What would be your guys approach?

Message Subject: What would be your guys approach?
PennsylvaniaMuskie
Posted 8/24/2023 7:37 PM (#1023155)
Subject: What would be your guys approach?

I went on a guided fishing trip in New York and sadly got nothing, but I feel like I learned a lot. We spent the 8 hours working a jerkbait around deep submerged weed beds (around 10-15 feet). In this lake, the main forage is perch (both yellow and white). I looked to see how this was applicable to my home lake.
My home lake has some deep edges and points (these edges can go down from 15 feet all the way to 30-40 feet). I think there might be submerged weeds there, but I am not positive. The thing is, the main forage is my home lake is shad, not perch. I'm not sure if fishing deep edges is a particularly good idea if the forage is shad (which I typically see more towards the surface). Would you guys advise hammering these edges and drop offs with a deep jerkbait, even if there's no weeds or the forage is shad?
chuckski
Posted 8/24/2023 9:02 PM (#1023156 - in reply to #1023155)
Subject: Re: What would be your guys approach?

In our boat we start out everybody throwing something different to establish a pattern. Now a days I fish a lot by myself and it's harder to find patterns and even work a spot correctly and thoroughly.
IAJustin
Posted 8/24/2023 10:18 PM (#1023160 - in reply to #1023155)

whats the water clarity like? If you've got decent clarity I'd be ripping rubber primarily.. learning where and why the forage moves in your system seasonally and then furthermore finding the best couple of ambush spots will be key. There always seams to be a few spots on shad based lake where muskies go to feed.. these fish and bait tend to move a lot. Don't overlook wind especially if you get the same direction for several days- best of luck!
PennsylvaniaMuskie
Posted 8/25/2023 6:30 AM (#1023164 - in reply to #1023160)

IAJustin - 8/24/2023 10:18 PM

whats the water clarity like? If you've got decent clarity I'd be ripping rubber primarily.. learning where and why the forage moves in your system seasonally and then furthermore finding the best couple of ambush spots will be key. There always seams to be a few spots on shad based lake where muskies go to feed.. these fish and bait tend to move a lot. Don't overlook wind especially if you get the same direction for several days- best of luck!

Water clarity is very poor. Usually no more than 2 feet. I'm not sure where I'd find out about where shad go or ambush spots.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 8/25/2023 7:38 AM (#1023165 - in reply to #1023155)

I think perch are more likely to hold in deep weeds than shad? I'm no expert on shad lakes...but I'd say find the shad, then start fishing.
IAJustin
Posted 8/25/2023 7:50 AM (#1023167 - in reply to #1023155)

Try cranks with rattles, rattletraps and when conditions are right 10’s and slow topwater…you’ll probably have some fish coming shallower in September as water temps dip into to 60’s…. Good time to bulge 10’s on points of the lake …. Best way to learn what the shad do on a particular lake is just time on the water, or get to be buddy’s with someone in the know
PennsylvaniaMuskie
Posted 8/25/2023 8:18 AM (#1023169 - in reply to #1023155)

Ok. I was thinking that shad are usually higher up in the water column, although my lake does indeed have perch for muskie to feed on. I'm still relatively new so I don't know what conditions to fish what, where to fish in what conditions, etc.
mikie
Posted 8/25/2023 8:33 AM (#1023170 - in reply to #1023155)

Jeff, one of your best opportunities if you are just starting out in this crazy sport is to join a muskie club and learn from folks who fish the same waters as you. PA has active Muskies, Inc. chapters in the east and west of your state. Pls search www.muskiesinc.org or check with sworrall on this site for more information. Good luck to you! m
sworrall
Posted 8/27/2023 1:07 PM (#1023206 - in reply to #1023170)

mikie - 8/25/2023 8:33 AM

Jeff, one of your best opportunities if you are just starting out in this crazy sport is to join a muskie club and learn from folks who fish the same waters as you. PA has active Muskies, Inc. chapters in the east and west of your state. Pls search www.muskiesinc.org or check with sworrall on this site for more information. Good luck to you! m

This!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)