Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> What do you prefer in a dive and rise

What do you prefer in a dive and rise
OptionResults
Max hang time10 Votes - [71.43%]
Faster rise with lots of back up4 Votes - [28.57%]

Message Subject: What do you prefer in a dive and rise
Pikebait
Posted 8/19/2023 8:39 AM (#1023028)
Subject: What do you prefer in a dive and rise

I have been doing some redesign on a dive and rise resin bait. Well testing different mixes 2 different options have come out for action on the pause. I am having a hard choice deciding which to go with. Unfortunately for local fishing I can only test on pike and I know they will take both options but after my musky trip this year I realize they are more fussy. Unfortunately due to my location I won’t be able to go test them on musky till next year. I will be able to send lures to be tested but would like to narrow it down before shipping them out

Basically I can have the bait stall with a lot of hang time(I caught musky with this style last month) or I can make the bait back up with a faster rise on the pause

So what is your preference on the pause hang time(almost neutral stall) or a bait that has a faster rise with lots of back up?

Odds are I will develop a different looking bait with the other option after this design is finalized
ToddM
Posted 8/19/2023 8:43 AM (#1023030 - in reply to #1023028)
Subject: Re: What do you prefer in a dive and rise

It depends on the situation and time of year. Heavy weeds I want a fast rise and warm water situations too. Colder water off the edge hang time is great. What I do want is the ability to give it speed on the jerk without it screwing up, flipping over and coming to the surface.
Pikebait
Posted 8/19/2023 9:44 AM (#1023032 - in reply to #1023030)

ToddM - 8/19/2023 8:43 AM

It depends on the situation and time of year. Heavy weeds I want a fast rise and warm water situations too. Colder water off the edge hang time is great. What I do want is the ability to give it speed on the jerk without it screwing up, flipping over and coming to the surface.

I like the ability to work my dive and rise baits fast so they are always designed to do so

Part of my tear down and adjustment was to eliminate all hook fowling because I had issues with one of my fast receive/pause sequences. Problem 100% solved and actually opened up the action a little doing so
jdsplasher
Posted 8/19/2023 10:28 PM (#1023041 - in reply to #1023032)

Your preference is to Have Both. Back up and Rise up rather quickly, and the ability to run deeper and Hang.

You make both for different terrain scenarios. Perfect both ideas!!!

I’d vote for both!

JD

Pikebait
Posted 8/20/2023 8:36 AM (#1023046 - in reply to #1023041)

jdsplasher - 8/19/2023 10:28 PM

Your preference is to Have Both. Back up and Rise up rather quickly, and the ability to run deeper and Hang.

You make both for different terrain scenarios. Perfect both ideas!!!

I’d vote for both!

JD

I am kinda leaning towards this thinking as it’s really just one adjustment to the recipe I pour into the mold to achieve hang time or back up.

Just need to remember which blank is which and make a small mark to identify them well painting I guess

7.62xJay
Posted 8/20/2023 8:40 AM (#1023047 - in reply to #1023028)

Have you played with the concept of screw in weights or tested how your quick rise behaves with bell sinkers snapped on?
Pikebait
Posted 8/20/2023 10:00 AM (#1023048 - in reply to #1023047)

7.62xJay - 8/20/2023 8:40 AM

Have you played with the concept of screw in weights or tested how your quick rise behaves with bell sinkers snapped on?

The shape doesn’t work well with screw in weights and bell sinkers on hook hangers don’t achieve the balance I want

I balance theses baits with different density resin mixes without any lead to achieve the results so the ballast distribution is different then most conventional methods

Screw in weight option would have been nice though
chuckski
Posted 8/20/2023 12:50 PM (#1023052 - in reply to #1023028)

!0" unweighted Suick for the weeds and bunch of factory weighted Suick's and Bobbies and even a custom heavy weighed Suick for the late Fall. And I've home weighted some too. All depends on what I need to do to catch a fish.
Pikebait
Posted 8/21/2023 7:54 AM (#1023067 - in reply to #1023052)

Alright I am just going to make both and mark the belly

Hard to argue with the logic of both actions have there place crowd
Angling Oracle
Posted 8/21/2023 9:43 AM (#1023070 - in reply to #1023028)

I prefer extended hang time for suick type lures - generally the weight of leader with my favourite suick provides weighting enough for the hang or delayed rise, which is something you need to account for in your build.

For me generally cranks fill the dive and quick rise category when used with the same sort stop and go cadence, with the benefit of being able to get down and hit some rocks, bottom etc and trigger bite on rise.
Pikebait
Posted 8/21/2023 10:18 AM (#1023072 - in reply to #1023070)

Angling Oracle - 8/21/2023 9:43 AM

I prefer extended hang time for suick type lures - generally the weight of leader with my favourite suick provides weighting enough for the hang or delayed rise, which is something you need to account for in your build.

For me generally cranks fill the dive and quick rise category when used with the same sort stop and go cadence, with the benefit of being able to get down and hit some rocks, bottom etc and trigger bite on rise.

I have gotten very good at building baits that hang and working with resin makes it easier to dial in. But water temp does make it vary just slightly. I learned not to create recipes with testing in -20c at the spillway in the winter lol

I do have a preference for this style but have had others ask for baits that back up

As of 2 years ago I stopped building crank baits and rarely fish them anymore. I just don’t enjoy working with lexan and got bored of them. My wife still demands I build the odd hunting crank bait for her lol

I am going to build both versions and let the fish/fishermen sort out if the faster rise bait stays or fades away
7.62xJay
Posted 8/21/2023 11:37 AM (#1023074 - in reply to #1023028)

For me, there's always a place for shallow dive quick rise and that's throwing it into shallow weed cover. Almost regardless of water depth if those weeds are dense between 2-4' from surface and thinning out 2' to the surface. But too dense for crank lips, and spinner baits,bucktails, and topwater aren't the ticket; than I'm grabbing an unweighted wood suick and trying to get her to dive down, ping pong on some weeds, than float back up so I'm not burying it.
Angling Oracle
Posted 8/21/2023 12:02 PM (#1023076 - in reply to #1023074)

7.62xJay - 8/21/2023 11:37 AM

For me, there's always a place for shallow dive quick rise and that's throwing it into shallow weed cover. Almost regardless of water depth if those weeds are dense between 2-4' from surface and thinning out 2' to the surface. But too dense for crank lips, and spinner baits,bucktails, and topwater aren't the ticket; than I'm grabbing an unweighted wood suick and trying to get her to dive down, ping pong on some weeds, than float back up so I'm not burying it.

I hear you - Swim Whizz fills this niche for me.
Pikebait
Posted 8/21/2023 3:25 PM (#1023083 - in reply to #1023076)

You guys are going to cause me to design a few new jerk baits to go with this one lol
2rjs
Posted 8/22/2023 1:22 PM (#1023101 - in reply to #1023028)

I voted max hang time but then I got to thinking about situations where I want it to rise fast. Most of the d&r baits I use have some adjustability of weight and those ae the ones I prefer to use the most.
mikie
Posted 8/23/2023 11:40 AM (#1023116 - in reply to #1023028)

Warmer water - fast rise; cooler water - slow rise. m
southern comfort
Posted 8/25/2023 11:12 AM (#1023177 - in reply to #1023028)

It really depends. That's why I like the new Suicks with options for weighting.
BillM
Posted 9/1/2023 2:38 PM (#1023331 - in reply to #1023028)

I just put bell sinkers on the middle split of a normal unweighted Suick. I can leave it off for a super fast rise, or maybe put a 1/4oz on it so it slows it down a bit. The bell sinker slapping against the bait is added sound as well. I can get them where they barely rise when the water temps cool right now. One bait, does it all.
Ranger
Posted 9/7/2023 8:40 PM (#1023526 - in reply to #1023028)

If you design a bait that stalls horizontal and then slowly rises with a tight shimmy/wobble, I will buy 6.
Pikebait
Posted 9/7/2023 10:50 PM (#1023529 - in reply to #1023526)

Ranger - 9/7/2023 8:40 PM

If you design a bait that stalls horizontal and then slowly rises with a tight shimmy/wobble, I will buy 6.

Belly roll on the twitch/pull, can be walked side to side, a bit of wiggle on the pull(rubber tail adds too it), stall’s almost neutral and extremely slow rise is what I have accomplished. With the thinner profile of the bait I would not be able to accomplish the wobble with this design. But after tweaking and testing I like this one after theses final recent adjustments so she is finished. I actually did some footage at the lake today but I can’t post it here as I struggle to even get pictures to work. Even had a pike interrupt filming lol

Unfortunately no wobble on the rise because the rise is so slow. I don’t think I can add wobble on the rise without shortening the stall and increasing the rate of the rise. Have to generate more pressure with a faster rise to get the wobble. Would also need a wider profile to deflect the pressure too

A short stall and slow rise(but faster than present design) in a wider across the back bait I could likely add wobble on the rise. It would be something I would have to tackle over winter as I have 3 other new prototypes in the works

If a wider bait like I am describing last would interest you for humor throw me a desired size and I will consider attempting it once I complete my present prototypes. No promises but I would be up for seeing if I could make it work just for the challenge for starters. Because my baits are resin baits once I dial something in I can duplicate them easily

Let’s just see if I can build one for fun first but I am game to attempt something in your desired specs if you provide them. Likely would not be complete till spring
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)