Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Big V

Message Subject: Big V
soxfan11
Posted 7/31/2023 3:43 PM (#1022649)
Subject: Big V

Staying on the west end of frazer bay. Anyone have any tips on where the ski’s may be hiding? Have hit a few bays, reed/rock combos and some saddles but not having any luck at this point. Anyone up this way have a recent report on what type of structure they are relating to these days? Will hit some rock piles this evening to see if I can wake any up. Any advice would be welcome as I’d love to get my 10yr old on his first muskie. To be clear, not looking for anyone’s specific spot, just wondering if a specific structure seems to be holding them. Thanks!
Handy1
Posted 7/31/2023 7:23 PM (#1022655 - in reply to #1022649)
Subject: Re: Big V

Where are you staying at? We just got back from Vermilion Saturday night, from week long fishing trip. I fish alone, most of the time and hooked two muskies and landed one close to 49"? musky (I don't use a bump board to measure, just a floating tape measure). I did see about 6 different muskies for the week on follows. Best spots for me where rock reefs that would have spots as shallow as 7-9 feet of water. I fish Frazier bay area and do hit some mid lake islands, like Potato Island, Great island to fish. Saddles where not good for me this time, or the weeds. Smaller bucktails were the best option for me. We did very well Walleye fishing too. Best of luck! If you do catch one, please be very quick with release, with water temps reaching the mid 70's while we were there.

Edited by Handy1 8/1/2023 8:36 PM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Muskie1 resize.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Muskie1 resize.jpg (60KB - 37 downloads)
soxfan11
Posted 7/31/2023 9:41 PM (#1022657 - in reply to #1022655)

Thanks for the advice. Great fish! Was throwing rubber and a beaver around the deeper reefs this evening while my kids fished walleyes but no takers. Will try more shallow crowns and toss some bucktails over the top tomorrow.
TheShow
Posted 8/1/2023 1:44 PM (#1022666 - in reply to #1022657)

I was there July 15th - 22nd. We had lousy weather, lots of wind, rain, and a big cool down. We had water temps from 63 - 67 at best. Fishing was tough in those conditions.
However, when we had short stretches the weather broke, catching walleyes was easy and I'm not even a walleye guy.

Anyhow, I didn't have any action in the weeds. The little action I did have was around rocky islands. I caught a small one on the backside of an island in the eddy of calm water on a crankbait. Saw one on the wind blown side with rubber. A couple others related to the same type of structure. Nothing on blades. It was frustrating.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 8/3/2023 8:49 AM (#1022707 - in reply to #1022649)

My advice is if you want to catch one, fish 20-30 spots a day. Weeds and rocks. You have to commit to it. Vermilion fish are some of the toughest to catch in the state, so going out in the evening and fishing a few spots won't cut it.

Edited by Kirby Budrow 8/3/2023 8:50 AM
Handy1
Posted 8/3/2023 12:54 PM (#1022722 - in reply to #1022649)

You got that right! I fished five days at twelve hours each. I hooked two muskies, landed one, and had six separate follows, one follow was a huge fish. With couple days of walleye and smallie fishing. I call it a successful trip for us.
Nershi
Posted 8/18/2023 8:25 AM (#1023010 - in reply to #1022649)

Went up for a house boat trip last weekend with some buddies who are not fisherman. I went out with one buddy for a few hours two of the days midday to fish muskies. First day my rookie buddy missed one on top water. Set early like a noob and pulled it out of it's mouth. Second day I had a 48-50 that smashed 10 feet out from the boat and he shook off just as my buddy was about to get the net ready for the scoop. Heart breaker but it was cool to show my buddy who had never muskie fished a good one. Moved 3-4 each day including a couple 50 class fish. Would have been a good weekend to grind but I didn't want to be the odd man out missing the party on the boat. Cold front and cloudy which is some of my favorite conditions on a lot of leecher lakes.

I was surprised by the lack of pressure. Only saw a handful of boats fishing structure and maybe twice as many doing the livescope thing. Last couple times I fished the east side we boated fish but I was turned off by the amount of pressure. Pretty much trading spots all day.

Fish all came off the exact same type of spots on the structure. Funny how that is the case a lot of times. Going unconventional has worked well for me in the summer. Give em a different look and your odds go up on the V.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 8/18/2023 9:46 AM (#1023012 - in reply to #1023010)

Nershi - 8/18/2023 8:25 AM

Went up for a house boat trip last weekend with some buddies who are not fisherman. I went out with one buddy for a few hours two of the days midday to fish muskies. First day my rookie buddy missed one on top water. Set early like a noob and pulled it out of it's mouth. Second day I had a 48-50 that smashed 10 feet out from the boat and he shook off just as my buddy was about to get the net ready for the scoop. Heart breaker but it was cool to show my buddy who had never muskie fished a good one. Moved 3-4 each day including a couple 50 class fish. Would have been a good weekend to grind but I didn't want to be the odd man out missing the party on the boat. Cold front and cloudy which is some of my favorite conditions on a lot of leecher lakes.

I was surprised by the lack of pressure. Only saw a handful of boats fishing structure and maybe twice as many doing the livescope thing. Last couple times I fished the east side we boated fish but I was turned off by the amount of pressure. Pretty much trading spots all day.

Fish all came off the exact same type of spots on the structure. Funny how that is the case a lot of times. Going unconventional has worked well for me in the summer. Give em a different look and your odds go up on the V.

Yes, the pressure has been down. So many people have been striking out and I think they are finally realizing it wasn't just a bad weather week that they were there. There are fish but even getting them to take a look is really hard. Your cold front comment is exactly right. That can be key and it sounds like they were pretty active for you.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)