Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> Kayak musky fishing nw Ontario trip

Message Subject: Kayak musky fishing nw Ontario trip
Pikebait
Posted 7/24/2023 7:47 AM (#1022486)
Subject: Kayak musky fishing nw Ontario trip

Just got back from Ontario yesterday from the wife and Is first musky trip. We fished Cedar lake mostly and one afternoon on fluke

Weather was not in our favor as it rained off and on the whole trip and cold front conditions. We made the best of it and just made sure we had rain gear stored in the hatch of the kayak

I did book an 8hr trip with Glenn McDonald from 54 or bust. Unfortunately the weather didn’t go as forecast as it rained basically the whole trip. We still had opportunities but do to human error we didn’t capitalize on them. Even though conditions sucked Glenn definitely put in the effort to try and make it happen. Even though we skunked out well fishing with Glenn he was a wealth on knowledge regarding musky and what to look for habitat wise. He went above and beyond to help us out regarding fishing both Cedar and fluke

Really he was just a stand up guy and easy to get along with. He has my recommendation without hesitation

Between the wife and I we caught 16 musky but we did pull the lure away from a fair number of small guys too. All were caught from our kayaks. My wife’s top producer was a black and chartreuse slop master spinner bait. My top producer was one of the 6 1/2 inch dive and rise jerk baits I make in a walleye pattern.

The weather may have sucked but my goal was to catch musky on my lures from a kayak and it was a success

The problem is now I want to catch a 50” musky from a kayak so it looked like a I will be making the long drive east in the future

Now if this picture works it’s the biggest musky I caught this trip. I didn’t bother to bump it as I am happy enough with a picture and wanted to send her back.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments B73596D8-D0AD-453F-ADE8-49F27E59B517.jpeg (162KB - 145 downloads)
ghoti
Posted 7/24/2023 3:40 PM (#1022499 - in reply to #1022486)
Subject: RE: Kayak musky fishing nw Ontario trip

Congrats on a successful trip. Despite the weather you made it happen.
Angling Oracle
Posted 7/24/2023 7:21 PM (#1022507 - in reply to #1022486)
Subject: Re: Kayak musky fishing nw Ontario trip

Sounds like all around success. Conditions did not sound like fun to fish in, and especially in kayak, but if they are biting in it, then hard to complain. I will take clouds, chop, bit of rain over flat, calm, humid and smoky any day.

As far as guide not getting you a fish - sounds like Glenn was doing his a proper musky guiding job with some new folks, which is teaching. Definitely no guarantees with musky fishing, and even more so when conditions unsettled.

Really appreciate the not trying up the numbers on the little ones - no need to hurt the up and comers as big hooks and little fish don't mix well.

Great chunky musky, and no worries about bumping, as again, more important healthy release.

Edited by Angling Oracle 7/24/2023 7:24 PM
Pikebait
Posted 7/24/2023 8:43 PM (#1022511 - in reply to #1022507)

Angling Oracle - 7/24/2023 7:21 PM

Sounds like all around success. Conditions did not sound like fun to fish in, and especially in kayak, but if they are biting in it, then hard to complain. I will take clouds, chop, bit of rain over flat, calm, humid and smoky any day.

As far as guide not getting you a fish - sounds like Glenn was doing his a proper musky guiding job with some new folks, which is teaching. Definitely no guarantees with musky fishing, and even more so when conditions unsettled.

Really appreciate the not trying up the numbers on the little ones - no need to hurt the up and comers as big hooks and little fish don't mix well.

Great chunky musky, and no worries about bumping, as again, more important healthy release.

I agree 100% Glenn did a great job and the only thing I would have changed that day is the weather..

Never bumped a single musky and after we caught a few hooks were popped without pics except for the one I posted the pic off. Told the wife I wouldn’t measure a musky unless I thought it would hit that magic 50” mark. Break 50” from a kayak I want a replica is why. Caught enough big pike I have a reasonable idea on the size and that is enough for me.

I have spent a lot of time in crappy weather in a kayak but it comes with the territory. West coast trips can be much worse.In all honesty Cedar is a cake walk for a quality fishing kayak do to how it’s laid out and would recommend it for kayak fishing even.The getting rained on part sucked though lol

Either way it was a worthwhile experience and definitely think musky is a species I will target again. Plus my wife thinks the musky are cooler than pike so she won’t be hard to convince lol

Edited by Pikebait 7/24/2023 8:45 PM
Kirby Budrow
Posted 7/25/2023 11:05 AM (#1022524 - in reply to #1022486)

Excellent work! 16 fish is not bad at all. I've had fish over 50 in my canoe. Measuring can be a problem but we just jump out in shallow water and measure them that way if we want. Like you said, it doesn't matter how long the medium sized fish are. Big ones are fun to know the length though.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)