Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Looking for opinion on new Bibs (Guidewear vs. Blackfish)

Message Subject: Looking for opinion on new Bibs (Guidewear vs. Blackfish)
dward
Posted 7/19/2023 8:20 PM (#1022376)
Subject: Looking for opinion on new Bibs (Guidewear vs. Blackfish)

i have owned 3 sets of bibs in my life and all have been Guidewear. I've been pretty happy with them, but also looking at Blackfish products.
The Guidewear Bibs are about $275
Blackfish Storm Skin $170
Blackfish Torrent $200
Blackfish Aspire $350
Blackfish Endure $450

One thing I cannot figure out is why it seems like the storm skin might be the warmest of the 4 from blackfish, but why is it the cheapest?

I'm leaning right now towards the Aspire, but i have never seen any of the Blackfish Bibs in person.... I fish in wi, mn, and Canada so I might want warmest one they have to offer as well.

Looking for people's opinions if you own any of these, and what you like or don't like..

thanks!
RJ_692
Posted 7/21/2023 8:03 AM (#1022426 - in reply to #1022376)
Subject: Re: Looking for opinion on new Bibs (Guidewear vs. Blackfish)

I am a big fan of e Vent. I think its a lot better than GoreTex. I think it breathes much better. I dont think you can go wrong with any. Being back in a tiller boat, I'm also shopping for a good light weight set of bibs lol
chuckski
Posted 7/21/2023 9:19 AM (#1022433 - in reply to #1022376)

In the 90's I fished the Cabela's Guide Wear, A few years ago I went to replace the jacket and the new stuff was not as nice, then it hit me I need a jacket only, I found my late dads Jacket and it was like new. I did put a rip in it but I was able to patch it.
Ciscokid82
Posted 7/21/2023 7:37 PM (#1022443 - in reply to #1022376)

I still wear my old Guidewear suit for fall and ice fishing. It’s uninsulated but has a very roomy fit and I can easily layer under it for any temperature. The rest of the year I wear my Simms Pro, it’s much lighter and more athletic fitting. Not sure about the Blackfish stuff. Make sure your suit is waterproof, not water resistant- there is a difference. Water resistant usually means it has just a DWR coating for very light precipitation.
happy hooker
Posted 7/25/2023 5:03 AM (#1022513 - in reply to #1022443)

The best most waterproof bibs you can get are a pair of lightweight waders with the feet or boots cut off,,you can find a pair cheap at garage,church sales or craigslist, just take a scissors and cut off the bottoms,,I don't care what you spend on bibs, $10,000,,or the ones the astronauts or navy seals wear. You won't find better waterproof bibs then doing this.
North of 8
Posted 7/25/2023 7:56 AM (#1022515 - in reply to #1022513)

Been to Alaksa a number of times, where my brother-in-law is a commercial fisherman. If you are familiar with SE Alaska, you know it rains, a lot, there. The folks there wear rubber coated bibs and jackets. Stuff is cheap compared to high tech, breathable fabric and holds up. Wear something underneath that breathes. Right at the beginning of the pandemic, I planned to go and help with set nets for salmon on a river leading to Bristol Bay. In prep I bought a pull over, anorak style rain jacket that is absolutely rain proof. Unfortunately, we had to cancel because of the pandemic but I keep the jacket in my fishing boat and that is my go-to in down pours. Have light weight, breathable suit for lighter rain.
The interesting thing about the jacket was that rain was secondary reason for buying it. Apparently when pulling salmon from nets, you get covered by slime and when you get back to the cabin they hit you with a high pressure hose to wash off the slime and the anorak style jacket keeps you dry through that. Tight knit cuffs help as well.
chuckski
Posted 7/25/2023 11:05 AM (#1022525 - in reply to #1022376)

I've fished many of day in the yellow plastic rain gear of yesteryear dry from the rain wet from sweat.
CincySkeez
Posted 7/26/2023 9:07 AM (#1022554 - in reply to #1022525)

Hooker is dead on with old waders, think I actually learned the trick from him years ago when a similar discussion came up.

For rubbers, the orange Grundens are impossible to beat, or if you are into spending money and want actual foul weather gear just buy sailing stuff.
Mojo1269
Posted 7/26/2023 2:50 PM (#1022565 - in reply to #1022376)

FWIW... If you get the Guidewear in Goretex you have a lifetime warranty from Gore... If they leak at any point and do not have holes/show abuse you can file a claim. They are very good about honoring there lifetime warranty and make the process easy.
Jeremy
Posted 7/27/2023 3:45 PM (#1022585 - in reply to #1022513)

happy hooker - 7/25/2023 5:03 AM

The best most waterproof bibs you can get are a pair of lightweight waders with the feet or boots cut off,,you can find a pair cheap at garage,church sales or craigslist, just take a scissors and cut off the bottoms,,I don't care what you spend on bibs, $10,000,,or the ones the astronauts or navy seals wear. You won't find better waterproof bibs then doing this.

I'm in the market so...Thank You!! I just had a miserable time on Vermilion with my Cabella's Gore-tex not keeping me dry just b/c the hod obscured all vision so I left it off and got a very wet neckline... Seems the Simms Pro-Dry jacket will fix that as per a guy at out lodge so I just bought one from Thornes today. Has a MUCH better hood/neck-line set-up.

And I'm a fly fisherman so..... Thank you!!
happy hooker
Posted 7/27/2023 4:17 PM (#1022588 - in reply to #1022585)

Jeremy actually you can adjust too
Use the lightweight waders until November
Then in November switch over to neoprene ones that will keep you very warm,,neoprene waders can be found cheap on craigslist.
Ciscokid82
Posted 7/27/2023 4:44 PM (#1022589 - in reply to #1022376)

Whatever you choose make sure your jacket makes a good seal around your wrists with either a Velcro closure or an internal cuff made of neoprene or similar stretchy material.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)