Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Fishing Reports and Destinations -> West lac seul

Message Subject: West lac seul
Johnnymusky
Posted 7/19/2023 2:10 PM (#1022370)
Subject: West lac seul

I know lac seul is a popular musky destination but I am wondering if anyone has any experience with the far west end near the ear falls area. Thanks
Clark A
Posted 8/9/2023 1:49 AM (#1022826 - in reply to #1022370)
Subject: RE: West lac seul

Muskies are pretty much non-existent in the western side. I'm going to Silver Water Wheel in September, which is somewhat central, and what little muskie presence that is reported is an occasional tiger, which is interesting. My friend has caught them well south of the Chamberlain Narrows, but most muskie anglers go to the northeast. You would think they are all over the lake, but that is not the case. I'm attempting to get a Lake Trout this trip, which are super rare. In 2006 a guest caught a 38" 27 lber., which is a very nice Ontario Lake Trout. Some still should be there! I'm a newbie to Lac Seul, but I'm thinking the bottom changes from clay to mud the further east you go. I'm guessing the eastern parts are more mud, I could be wrong, I don't even know how it flows. Wabigoon is clay??? You got me doing more research, but the deeper water is Bray Lake and a bit north on the main lake. I will ask every guide the first week of September their theory. 2 of us could have rented a house boat with a driver to and from for much less than this up-coming trip, but I'm a last minute fill in. I just ate PB&J's for a week instead of the shore lunch rigamarole on Great Slave, so the shore lunch fancy experience is not needed, but will be cherished. I've never caught 2 walleyes over 25" in a day with a chance at a 30", so this might be worthwhile. I will advise on my findings. My friend did get a 53.5" about 10 miles southwest of the narrows.

Edited by Clark A 8/9/2023 1:58 AM
Southern Muskies
Posted 8/11/2023 12:00 PM (#1022905 - in reply to #1022370)
Subject: Re: West lac seul

Just got back from Lac Seul. Was up there from July 31- Aug.5 . What an incredible trip. Started out the trip raising one that was 52-53 in. Had 40 up for the week. Of the 40; 30 were over 45 in. Moved 35 on top water, 4 on blades and one a swim bait.. Had 8 that just missed our top waters at boat side. We did land3 ( 36,43 and 45 in. ) Also got a 43 in pike. Most of them would turn off before they go to the boat. Can't wait to go back !
BillM
Posted 8/14/2023 12:31 PM (#1022958 - in reply to #1022370)

You raised 40 fish and landed 3? Ouch.
chuckski
Posted 8/15/2023 2:31 PM (#1022971 - in reply to #1022370)

Pressured fish!
Nershi
Posted 8/16/2023 6:45 PM (#1022985 - in reply to #1022971)

chuckski - 8/15/2023 2:31 PM

Pressured fish!

On lac suel? Is there that much pressure? I’ve never been but it’s on the list.

I have been having lots of fish flare off this year about 10 feet from the boat and I can tell you they are definitely not pressured fish. Sometimes they just get in weird moods.
IAJustin
Posted 8/17/2023 8:52 AM (#1022993 - in reply to #1022985)

Nershi - 8/16/2023 6:45 PM

chuckski - 8/15/2023 2:31 PM

Pressured fish!

On lac suel? Is there that much pressure? I’ve never been but it’s on the list.

I have been having lots of fish flare off this year about 10 feet from the boat and I can tell you they are definitely not pressured fish. Sometimes they just get in weird moods.

Yep agree..Ontario fish will sometimes be in the mood just to greet you with a lazy get off my spot follow! My July trip this year had a crazy amount of lazy "no chance" follows .. but once you have their zip code the fun begins!! #1 When do we come back, down size, up size, more speed/less speed, stay way off and drop bombs on her?...why are we only seeing her on this rock in a N wind?..on and on...Lots of follows can be frustrating, but that muskie fishing...I've learned to love a lazy, turn away 10' from boat follow!.. unless its the last day of the trip!

Edited by IAJustin 8/17/2023 8:53 AM
Southern Muskies
Posted 8/17/2023 3:50 PM (#1023003 - in reply to #1022958)

Yea; it was a big ouch. Landed all 3 we had on. Had about 8 that just missed on top waters. Many would turn off before they got to the boat. Weather was crazy. No stable conditions. Wind out of every direction and everything from bright and sunny to thunderstorms and hail then next 10 min.
Clark A
Posted 8/18/2023 10:40 PM (#1023024 - in reply to #1022370)

The lake is more clay to the Northeast and more mud to the west. It flows to the west. After a week there we have decided to spend another week on Cedar/Cliff/Indian Chain. Hopefully this pretty much guarantees us with at least a few muskies. Not a trophy hunt by any means.
cabbage
Posted 8/28/2023 7:16 PM (#1023250 - in reply to #1022370)

I've always found it interesting too how the fish don't spread out a bit more like on LOTW and Eagle Lake etc. 4 of us went to Lac Seul over the new moon of July. We stayed on a houseboat just north of Chamberlain narrows. It was a fun trip. It's always an adventure on Lac Seul. The muskie fishing was definitely slower than we've ever experienced after many trips over the years. Likely partly due to a minor cold front but I will say we have never seen so much muskie and muskie guide pressure as we did this year. The guides used to primarily stay down south but it seems that traveling up to Jackfish Narrows and Pine Island is a daily occurence for them now. With the low density of fish I think the pressure does have a significant impact on action, fish behavior and fish location. The fish we did catch had certainly been C.P.R.'d before. Split fins and scarring etc. The walleye fishing made up for what the muskie fishing lacked this year though.

Clark A
Posted 9/7/2023 11:57 PM (#1023530 - in reply to #1022370)

We made a very long boat run to the east today. We saw a giant twice, and that was it! We caught pike up to 37.75”, which helps a bit. What I have gathered is there is no way to fish these waters without doing the houseboat deal or staying at the camp at Chamberlain Narrows. There may be an outpost that I’m unaware of. The trailering and launching at Deception Bay on a daily basis sounds like hell. The Navionic chips are not showing lots of dangerous rocks. It consists of lots of small spots. Muskies and even the fore mentioned tigers are on the east side. There are muskies well south of the Chamberlain Narrows, but as people have stated they are pressured and low density. We made it to about 3 miles south of the Narrows. The guide I was with today has dabbled out east for 6 years. He has put a fair amount of impressive fish in the net, and never has caught or seen one under 38”. Witnessing a very large fish opening and closing it’s mouth numerous times inches behind a lure at boat side twice within a minute makes me want to take up golf. One more day of yanking some nice eyes, then off to Cedar to play bumper boats! P.S. Our biggest walleye was 26.25”. There were only 3 over 27” this week. One of the guides knows Ben Beatty, Lac Seul Muskie guide, and he has not seen one in a week.

Edited by Clark A 9/8/2023 11:38 PM
Clark A
Posted 9/19/2023 12:48 AM (#1023725 - in reply to #1022370)

Correction! My friends 53.5" was only 2-3 miles south of the Chamberlain Narrows. The Lake Trout no longer exist in Lac Seul per the guide. I sort of doubt that, but no one fishes for them and he didn't want to dabble. When is Lake Trout First starting? I got a nice 5 pounder out of Cliff doing the salt water Slow Pitch technique within 5 minutes. I love stupid fish! Cedar was tough. 3 skies boated up to 42". Very bad week for us but witnessed the Northern Lights!!! Hideous photo, no Nikon camera or Kodachrome film available.

Edited by Clark A 9/19/2023 1:04 AM

Zoom - | Zoom 100% | Zoom + | Expand / Contract | Open New window
Click to expand / contract the width of this image
(Northern Lights 2023.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Northern Lights 2023.jpg (12KB - 34 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)