Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> Bomb Squad MK65 question

Message Subject: Bomb Squad MK65 question
4 String
Posted 6/25/2023 7:49 PM (#1021900)
Subject: Bomb Squad MK65 question

I've recently acquired a Bomb Squad MK65 flap tail. I'm impressed with the lure and think it will be cool as a heavier flap tail.

My questions are about the shrink tubing on the belly treble.

The belly treble is shrink-tubed in a position tight to the body. It looks like this will reduce hook rash on the body. Is that the main reason for it, or does it affect how the lure runs?

My other flap tails don't have the shrink tubing.

I'm pretty OCD about hook sharpening, and the shrink tubing, while it will mean less future re-sharpening, makes it hard to sharpen those two points next to the body.

If I have to replace the belly treble due to cutting hooks on a fish, would replacing it without shrink tubing affect how the lure runs? If so, I could try to shrink tube it - I have done so on one tail prop lure and a couple of bucktails and have shrink tubing around. It might be tricky to get the position right without igniting the lure, though.

If it's just to reduce hook rash, I'd almost rather not have shrink tubing and just pay my normal OCD attention to hook sharpening and hook replacement.

Any advice is appreciated. thanks!
upnortdave
Posted 6/26/2023 7:06 PM (#1021931 - in reply to #1021900)
Subject: RE: Bomb Squad MK65 question

Not sure if this is the correct answer but here we go. I think it help keep the belly hook from fouling on the cast. I've found theses style of lures with the spreader, and big blade tumble more on the cast. I also shrink tube the rear hooks too.
4 String
Posted 6/26/2023 8:55 PM (#1021938 - in reply to #1021931)
Subject: RE: Bomb Squad MK65 question

upnortdave - 6/26/2023 7:06 PM

Not sure if this is the correct answer but here we go. I think it help keep the belly hook from fouling on the cast. I've found theses style of lures with the spreader, and big blade tumble more on the cast. I also shrink tube the rear hooks too.

I hadn't thought of that! Thanks.

I haven't had issues with flaps fouling on the cast, but that is a legitimate reason for shrink tubing. Life is too short for fouled, wasted casts.

Thanks, I'll keep that one in mind!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)