Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> Am I a dinosaur???

Message Subject: Am I a dinosaur???
Manta18
Posted 5/20/2023 1:12 PM (#1020909)
Subject: Am I a dinosaur???

So coming back into the sport of Musky fishing after a 6 year hiatus, and things are so different looking as far as baits.  I have been watching lots of videos lately and other than some of the "famous" baits, i.e. Double Cowgirls, Medussa's, and very few others, I haven't heard of the majority of the baits they are using.  Personally to me, the best baits are Suicks, Bobbie baits, Reef Hawgs, Docs, Burts, Top Raider, Hawg Wobbler and Creepers.  Does anyone still use these baits?  I don' t know you could afford not to, they are all amazing.  I am sure the newer baits are awesome and in time a few will make their way into my boxes, but I will never stray away from my old school ones!
North of 8
Posted 5/20/2023 3:04 PM (#1020910 - in reply to #1020909)
Subject: Re: Am I a dinosaur???

I use most of the baits you listed and judging by the baits hanging in Fleet Farm
recently, a lot of folks must still use Suicks, Top Raiders. Can't remember what else they had a lot of, just that prices of long time baits like those two have really jumped.
chuckski
Posted 5/20/2023 11:21 PM (#1020912 - in reply to #1020909)

My secret weapons are old lures out of production, but still caught fish like they used to. (yes I put on modern hooks and split rings on some models)
Clark A
Posted 5/21/2023 12:46 AM (#1020914 - in reply to #1020909)

Muskies still eat Mepp's Muskie Killers! It's fun to have all the cool new stuff, but in reality, it makes little difference. For summer fishing I basically use a Rabid Squirrel (Slim Jim style) or a top water. Latter August I toss a Suick, since they have seen so many bucktails. Rubber is good if you hate your body. That is all you need. If you need numbers of 40"++ fish go the NWT for northerns.
dickP
Posted 5/21/2023 7:24 AM (#1020916 - in reply to #1020909)

Yes,based on your fan club you are a dino!A very old Dino!This has to be the 'Bret' that helped Frank Walsh and I get 'Operation Muskie' going.
Hi Bud,how ya doing?Hope all is well with you-and yes all those old lures are still as good as ever.
Good fishing 2 you!
kdawg
Posted 5/21/2023 8:26 AM (#1020917 - in reply to #1020909)
Subject: RE: Am I a dinosaur???

Some of the baits you mentioned are in my tackle box today. In my opinion, the real dinosaurs are the ones who started off with five and half foot broom stick rods, round reels, and how can you forget, 27-36lb. musky master black dacron line. If anybody is still using this stuff, well, you get the picture. Kdawg
North of 8
Posted 5/21/2023 8:54 AM (#1020918 - in reply to #1020917)

kdawg - 5/21/2023 8:26 AM

Some of the baits you mentioned are in my tackle box today. In my opinion, the real dinosaurs are the ones who started off with five and half foot broom stick rods, round reels, and how can you forget, 27-36lb. musky master black dacron line. If anybody is still using this stuff, well, you get the picture. Kdawg

Still have one of those rods, made by Daiwa. Have not used in decades, but can't quite bring myself to throw it away.
chuckski
Posted 5/21/2023 9:07 AM (#1020919 - in reply to #1020909)

I fish with modern rods, but I still old glass ques laying around along with some past there prime 7 footers.
Manta18
Posted 5/21/2023 8:59 PM (#1020937 - in reply to #1020917)

kdawg - 5/21/2023 8:26 AM Some of the baits you mentioned are in my tackle box today. In my opinion, the real dinosaurs are the ones who started off with five and half foot broom stick rods, round reels, and how can you forget, 27-36lb. musky master black dacron line. If anybody is still using this stuff, well, you get the picture. Kdawg

My favorite jerkbait rod is a Shimano Compre, XHeavy that is 6'6".   Caught a lot of fish on this pole.  Have tried with 7 footers and 7'6" and feel uncomfortable using them, so I'm sticking with the old ugly girl that brought me to the dance!!!

Ogandrews
Posted 5/22/2023 5:54 AM (#1020944 - in reply to #1020909)

If fish ate a bait 10-40 years ago, they will eat it just as well if not better today. I will say there are definitely updated versions of those old baits that are tougher and more consistent/ better hookup. IE reef hog vs a Leo. Biggest difference now vs back then is the advancements in rods/reels/line/trolling motors/graphs. Our gear now is significantly better and I don’t see much of a point trying to argue that. Bucktails specifically have gotten better component wise and specific baits for specific situations, but they will always eat a musky killer or a 700 bucher like they did in the past. Some of those old baits might work even better now because way less people are throwing them
kap
Posted 5/22/2023 6:46 AM (#1020945 - in reply to #1020909)

the baits you mentioned are great baits always worked and still do. You are only covering two bait catergories.
topwater and jerk baits.You should improve your arsenal by adding differnt types of baits (tools)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)