Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> General Discussion -> New Old Tech

Message Subject: New Old Tech
CincySkeez
Posted 5/12/2023 3:42 PM (#1020687)
Subject: New Old Tech

Today at work, well like 15 minutes ago, it dawned on me that I don't need moon apps or solunar tables all I need is a calibrated tide clock on my boat. One glance at the clock and you know how far you are from majors and minors.

Anyone else do this?
North of 8
Posted 5/12/2023 5:31 PM (#1020688 - in reply to #1020687)
Subject: Re: New Old Tech

I think for most of us in the Midwest, tides are not something we think about. When visiting my sister in Alaska, my brother-in-law keeps a tide table booklet next to the coffee maker. Happened to be there a couple years ago when they hit the high tide for the year/season overnight. The beach in front of their home was covered with wood, bull kelp, etc.. in the morning. He has been a commercial fisherman for over 50 years, tides are something he thinks about every day, even when he is not doing anything on the water. Neighbor of theirs took my daughter and I fishing for halibut and our departure time was dependent on tide.
chuckski
Posted 5/13/2023 9:19 AM (#1020695 - in reply to #1020687)

I grow up 6 miles from the ocean in Southern California and if we had a storm and a full moon at the same time there would be some local flooding along the coast. I live in Denver area and we had 3-6 + inches of rain from Wednesday night thru
Friday morning it flooded in lots of places and some big hail. At our house we only had small hail and lots of rain but no damage. Our house is on a small hill so when I go for a walk it's a slight up hill on the way home. When it rains I get a small puddle at the property line by my mail box on the North side of our house. Then all the water in the gutter flows North, on the other side of my mail box the water in the gutter flows South. I have a rain gage I bought last fall but I didn't hang it up.
I did have a coffee can at the side of the house and its overflowing. Nice free water!
RobertK
Posted 5/15/2023 1:49 PM (#1020757 - in reply to #1020687)
Subject: RE: New Old Tech

CincySkeez - 5/12/2023 9:42 AM

Today at work, well like 15 minutes ago, it dawned on me that I don't need moon apps or solunar tables all I need is a calibrated tide clock on my boat. One glance at the clock and you know how far you are from majors and minors.

Anyone else do this?

Depends on if you believe its the tides that matter or the actual position of the moon.

High and low tides slightly precede moon rise/set and the lunar meridian crossings due to frictional torques on the aquatic surfaces resulting from the Earth's rotational period not matching the lunar revolution period.

There's no compelling evidence that either matter on inland waters.
CincySkeez
Posted 5/15/2023 3:16 PM (#1020759 - in reply to #1020757)

RobertK - 5/15/2023 1:49 PM

CincySkeez - 5/12/2023 9:42 AM

Anyone else do this?

Depends on if you believe its the tides that matter or the actual position of the moon.

High and low tides slightly precede moon rise/set and the lunar meridian crossings due to frictional torques on the aquatic surfaces resulting from the Earth's rotational period not matching the lunar revolution period.

There's no compelling evidence that either matter on inland waters.

Everything you said is correct aside from the last sentence. Again easy to calculate the deviation and have your clock reflect these facts.

As far as no evidence for moon movement and position impacting inland waters....you do you
North of 8
Posted 5/15/2023 5:22 PM (#1020763 - in reply to #1020759)

If I could piggyback on this post, how do folks feel about atmospheric pressure and fishing? When i was a youngster in the early 60s my uncle had a rustic cabin in Northern WI and he watched the barometer like a hawk. Movement meant we had to be on the water. We fished a lot of the day, regardless but atmospheric change meant you skipped meals, etc.
Kirby Budrow
Posted 5/15/2023 5:43 PM (#1020765 - in reply to #1020763)

North of 8 - 5/15/2023 5:22 PM

If I could piggyback on this post, how do folks feel about atmospheric pressure and fishing? When i was a youngster in the early 60s my uncle had a rustic cabin in Northern WI and he watched the barometer like a hawk. Movement meant we had to be on the water. We fished a lot of the day, regardless but atmospheric change meant you skipped meals, etc.

I pay more attention to pressure than any other factor.
Masqui-ninja
Posted 5/16/2023 6:27 AM (#1020771 - in reply to #1020687)

I feel like as long as the Barometer is moving, you can catch a fish or two. When it's pinned high, time to break out the rouge tactics (contacting cover etc). When it's falling, hit your best spots.

*I just checked my tide app on my phone and it's giving me the tides for Upper Attaspiskat River...that flows into Hudson Bay. Must be the closest tidal water to North Central MN.

Edited by Masqui-ninja 5/16/2023 6:32 AM
mikie
Posted 5/18/2023 7:58 AM (#1020839 - in reply to #1020687)

Dad's depth finder was an anchor rope with a knot every two feet. Still works for me, but the HD 10 is sooo much fun to play with! m
chuckski
Posted 5/18/2023 8:14 AM (#1020840 - in reply to #1020839)

mikie - 5/18/2023 7:58 AM

Dad's depth finder was an anchor rope with a knot every two feet. Still works for me, but the HD 10 is sooo much fun to play with! m

And if you want to know the contour make up of a bay throw a bunch of empty O.J. bottles up wind of a bay with a 10 rope with weights and they will stop at the 10 foot line. And to find deep weeds tie a metal stringer to a rope and drop it down with the hooks open.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)