Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )
Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

Muskie Fishing -> Lures,Tackle, and Equipment -> St Croix Grasp Reelseat

Message Subject: St Croix Grasp Reelseat
Ruddiger
Posted 4/30/2023 11:55 AM (#1020392)
Subject: St Croix Grasp Reelseat

Howdy,

Does anyone have any on the water experience with the new St Croix grasp reelseats that they are putting on the new legend tournament rods? I’m trying to be open minded about them but it just seems like it would be very awkward.

Also, has anyone had any problems shutting the lid to their center rod locker in the event that the handle creates clearance issues?

Take care,

Ruddiger
RyanJoz
Posted 5/12/2023 12:02 PM (#1020676 - in reply to #1020392)
Subject: Re: St Croix Grasp Reelseat

I used one for an hour or so. I wished Thorne’s could get one for a 10’ XH predator. I would buy two!

It is very comfortable but takes some getting used to. My boat has side lockers so I haven’t tried to close a center locker lid. Like many others with the palming seat. Some will love it, some will hate it. I have tennis elbow pretty bad and it didn’t bother me as much as my rods with the palming seat. I want one for fall big rubber, but the power and length combo offered by St. Croix is too short for my liking and I prefer non-telescopic rods.
method
Posted 5/12/2023 2:47 PM (#1020684 - in reply to #1020392)

I prefer it over the little nub that were on the previous rods. Its easier on the arms and my hand/fingers get less sore from holding the rod in a more comfortable position. Moving forward I will choose rods with a similar grip like the Chaos revolution reel seat.

muskymandan
Posted 5/14/2023 8:39 PM (#1020727 - in reply to #1020392)
Subject: RE: St Croix Grasp Reelseat

I found the new seat seat to cause additional stress on my left hand thumb. I place my left thumb on the side of the reel case. I use revo 60 beasts. The rod itself is amazing mine is a long ranger but the reel seat is an absolute disaster. The fugi palm grip they had before is the best they ever used in my opinion. If you notice they didn’t put that stupid pistol grip on their elite series right……..it’s awkward transitioning from reeling to casting I noticed I had to let go each time and reposition my hands in order to cast again. I may have to go to the elites just to avoid the pistol grip.
JoeP
Posted 5/15/2023 10:32 AM (#1020747 - in reply to #1020392)

I’ve been using mine for about a month now and I like it alot. I cast and retrieve with my left hand so I don’t switch hands. I thumb the spool while palming the reel,Tranx 400.It does keep your wrist in a more ergonomic position, which in the long run will make your day a little less stressful. The rod itself,8’6mhf, is great. I’m used to Premiers, but the Legends are feather light. They load up nice and cast small lures as well as suicks and mag dawgs. I’ve been lucky enough to catch 12 so far and no problems fighting and landing Muskies. JoeP
BillM
Posted 5/15/2023 1:20 PM (#1020752 - in reply to #1020392)

I've got two new LT's with those grips I'm eager to try out in a few weeks. Hopefully I won't hate them lol
North of 8
Posted 5/15/2023 1:44 PM (#1020756 - in reply to #1020752)

I am intrigued by this set up. Given the different opinions, I wonder if it is more comfortable if you don't switch hands between casting and reeling. For example, I cast with my right hand and reel with my left. Used to cast right, reel right.
chuckski
Posted 5/16/2023 10:03 AM (#1020780 - in reply to #1020392)

With a Baitcaster I can cast both right and left and reel right, take my 9' rod and add a Cowgirl and all bets are off, I can't hit the side of barn.

Handy1
Posted 5/16/2023 6:50 PM (#1020792 - in reply to #1020392)

For jerk baits and big rubber should be nice. For everything else I DO NOT like it. I did sell mine already. I have enough of the older Tournaments and Elite to hold me over. I really wish St Croix would have given us a choice on the grips.
RLSea
Posted 5/16/2023 10:58 PM (#1020802 - in reply to #1020392)

I have a Revolution Reel Seat on a 9" TI rod I use for rubber and big blades and love it. It reduces fatigue, especially for retrieving tens, and provides extra leverage for figure 8's and setting the hook. I cast both ways and reel right on this rod. I have no feedback for the storage question. I do remove the handle when trailering for more compact storage between my seat and the side of the boat.
BillM
Posted 6/5/2023 8:40 PM (#1021361 - in reply to #1020392)

Finally got out last past Sunday to try out the new grip. It's interesting. Went from a 7'6 XH 'The Jerk' to a 8ft Switchblade. I fish a lot of glides and usually palm the reel to provide action to the lure opposed to using my entire arm. It was comfortable but it has some weird finger position due to the new grip. I'm sure I'll figure out something that works. I can tell you my wrist didn't take a beating like it did with the old rod. I never touch the foregrip so the lack of one makes no difference to me. Really liked the 9'6 Blademaster II that I also picked up. The revised handle material really does help when you're digging the rod into your side tossing Suicks or similar. Extra length is nice as well over the Big Nasty.

I also cast with my right and reel with my right so I switch hands while the lure is in the air. Didn't notice the new grip make any difference when I switched hands. I did get the butt end of the Blademaster II caught in my Columbia UV shirt a few times though
Ogandrews
Posted 6/11/2023 4:15 PM (#1021548 - in reply to #1020392)

It’s a cool idea and I know a lot of people that I’ve talked to that have them really like it. I definitely would have picked one up to try it but they decided to get rid of the 10ft models for some reason.
4 String
Posted 6/12/2023 5:08 PM (#1021581 - in reply to #1020392)

I absolutely love the new St Croix GRASP handles. I'm 55 and have suffered from recurring forearm tendonitis. Last year, I was even casting and reeling with opposite hands just for some relief. This winter, I picked up the new St Croix models in Big Nasty and Blue Ox. Love them both. I've got two full, hard days of casting on them now. My back and shoulder are feeling it, but zero forearm issues. The new wrist angle is so much better for me. My 15 year old son tried the Big Nasty for a few casts and still prefers his Sling Blade, so it may not be for everyone, but good lord, I love the new handles. Never going back!
VonBraun
Posted 9/21/2023 3:56 PM (#1023769 - in reply to #1021361)

BillM - 6/5/2023 8:40 PM

Finally got out last past Sunday to try out the new grip. It's interesting. Went from a 7'6 XH 'The Jerk' to a 8ft Switchblade. I fish a lot of glides and usually palm the reel to provide action to the lure opposed to using my entire arm. It was comfortable but it has some weird finger position due to the new grip. I'm sure I'll figure out something that works. I can tell you my wrist didn't take a beating like it did with the old rod. I never touch the foregrip so the lack of one makes no difference to me. Really liked the 9'6 Blademaster II that I also picked up. The revised handle material really does help when you're digging the rod into your side tossing Suicks or similar. Extra length is nice as well over the Big Nasty.

I also cast with my right and reel with my right so I switch hands while the lure is in the air. Didn't notice the new grip make any difference when I switched hands. I did get the butt end of the Blademaster II caught in my Columbia UV shirt a few times though :)
You like the Blademaster II even with the telescopic part?
BillM
Posted 9/26/2023 10:27 AM (#1023859 - in reply to #1023769)

VonBraun - 9/21/2023 4:56 PM

BillM - 6/5/2023 8:40 PM

I also cast with my right and reel with my right so I switch hands while the lure is in the air. Didn't notice the new grip make any difference when I switched hands. I did get the butt end of the Blademaster II caught in my Columbia UV shirt a few times though :)
You like the Blademaster II even with the telescopic part?

Telescopic parts makes no difference when fishing. Sure makes it easier to transport/store however. And the length is definitely a big plus when it comes to figure 8s.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)