Muskie Discussion Forums

Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes | Language | Blogs Search | Statistics | User Listing
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Are you down with the Hooey Braw? PotcheeNunk style he says.
- (Added by: dogboy)

Moderators: Slamr

View previous thread :: View next thread
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]

More Muskie Fishing -> Basement Baits and Custom Lure Painting -> Glide baits.

Message Subject: Glide baits.
K and M tackle
Posted 4/25/2023 8:11 AM (#1020236)
Subject: Glide baits.

What kind of wood do you use for making glide baits? Do you weight them at all? Looking to try my hand at a few.
bloatlord
Posted 4/25/2023 8:23 AM (#1020237 - in reply to #1020236)
Subject: RE: Glide baits.

I'll buy one from you once you've made it. I love glides and "Some Dude from Muskies Only Lure Company" is gonna be rare around here.
Pikebait
Posted 4/25/2023 3:06 PM (#1020263 - in reply to #1020236)

I prefer building gliders out of resin over wood personally. But the best results with wooden glider’s has been using less buoyant hardwood because you don’t need to add as much weight. The advantage here is you don’t create as much of a keel weighting the bait to achieve the sink rate. This makes it easier to get some belly roll on the twitch or shimmy on the slow fall.

I have not made a wooden glider for a long time but my bad memory tells me I got good results with maple when it comes to easier to find woods
Pikebait
Posted 4/25/2023 3:12 PM (#1020264 - in reply to #1020263)

Another trick is to weight your glider above the belly vs just drilling holes into the belly and filling them with lead. Done right you get just the right amount of instability creating shimmy on the fall. How you shape your belly plays a part in it too. I have also had much better results with flat sided gliders.
chuckski
Posted 4/26/2023 6:54 PM (#1020307 - in reply to #1020236)
Subject: Re: Glide baits.

I'm a big fan of the old Eddie's I think they used Maple.
spoonpluggergino
Posted 7/27/2023 7:06 PM (#1022594 - in reply to #1020236)

you are in luck just making glide baits for a friend on the Big Chip, he is actually trolling them and slahying the muskie
I make mine from PVC 1 one deck boards I ashe off 1/8 of an inch so they will b 7/8 inch thick bodies, you can get deck boards from any deck board suppliers , pretty common, I seal it but you do not have to
wher I attach the tow line and hooks I use 1/2 o3/8 hard wood dowel pins glue with carpenters glue
, screws eyes will not come out
I m ade bunch of different lead weights with a hook in it so I can attach to bellie of bait than put in bucket of water until youj have en ough weight that the bait start sinking slowly at that polint you have the weight required
for othe material you can use any hardwood you can fin, Owl woosjupplier has all you need
Pic will show a 1000 words, lead you can buy at Jannetcraft 1 lb ingots, I made a lead jig out of alluminum but you can make one out of cherry wood to make your final weights ballast for your glide
mine id 8.5 long By 1 3/4 wide front lead position I like it in front and back of the front hook and at the end of the bait, I like to lvel the wher the head is pointing downwar or at least level, for trolling I like it downward
spoonpluggergino
Posted 7/27/2023 7:09 PM (#1022595 - in reply to #1020236)

you are in luck just making glide baits for a friend on the Big Chip, he is actually trolling them and slahying the muskie
I make mine from PVC 1 one deck boards I ashe off 1/8 of an inch so they will b 7/8 inch thick bodies, you can get deck boards from any deck board suppliers , pretty common, I seal it but you do not have to
wher I attach the tow line and hooks I use 1/2 o3/8 hard wood dowel pins glue with carpenters glue
, screws eyes will not come out
I m ade bunch of different lead weights with a hook in it so I can attach to bellie of bait than put in bucket of water until youj have en ough weight that the bait start sinking slowly at that polint you have the weight required
for othe material you can use any hardwood you can fin, Owl woosjupplier has all you need
Pic will show a 1000 words, lead you can buy at Jannetcraft 1 lb ingots, I made a lead jig out of alluminum but you can make one out of cherry wood to make your final weights ballast for your glide
mine id 8.5 long By 1 3/4 wide front lead position I like it in front and back of the front hook and at the end of the bait, I like to lvel the wher the head is pointing downwar or at least level, for trolling I like it downward
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [30 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)